Big Ten cancelling fall football...

12 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

The condition is called myocarditis.  It is very rare from what I've read.  Its also caused by other viruses.   Like the common cold, hepatitis B and C and parvovirus.  But of course the media doesn't tell us that.

Go Hoosiers!!!

The player himself tweeted about the C-19 aspect and that he had C-19. . He did not say that he had hepatitis etc. How else should the media have reported it?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, IU878176 said:

The player himself tweeted about the C-19 aspect and that he had C-19. . He did not say that he had hepatitis etc. How else should the media have reported it?

For starters, they could have added this from the Mayo clinic website:

"In many cases, myocarditis improves on its own or with treatment, leading to a complete recovery."

There seems to be a real desire to sow panic and fear amongst the media.  Sure...no one likes to hear that heart conditions come from viruses occasionally they do.  It's helpful to point out that this one is usually very treatable rather than leaving the reader to believe it's a death sentence or at a minimum, a lifetime condition. 

It's as much how things are reported as what is reported. 

15 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Sorry I was not referring to any individual case.  Just that the media reported one of the B1G's excuses(long term health issues).  In doing so they made no mention that the condition sited(myocarditis) was caused by other viruses as well.  The condition is bad but it's not new.   By leaving that out they only spread more fear. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

On 8/20/2020 at 1:37 PM, DC2345 said:

Well actually there is a lot of smoke on twitter right now saying that their never was a vote by the schools and that Kevin Warren caved because Michigan's governor threatend to file a lawsuit if the B1G played. There seems to be more going on behind the scenes and several of the schools a fighting the B1G and Warren right now. So yes it seems that it is possible that Warren did make the decision. Time will tell however as more information leaks and it will because of so many people in charge at different schools being against Warren and the B1G right now. 

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/report-1-governor-is-major-roadblock-to-big-ten-playing-football

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per ESPNU this afternoon, the B1G and Pac 12 have joined forces with the NCAA to put pressure on the Power 5 conferences electing to still play to change course and cancel the Fall season. 

I hope the 3 conferences play, suffer no major outbreaks, and show that life moves forward.

What a joke the B1G is. I hope this isn't true. 

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/university-of-alabama-reports-more-than-500-confirmed-covid-19-cases.html

Way more positives than most schools that have closed but staying open it seems.

In the article the President of Alabama said “Our challenge is not the students. It’s not student behavior”.  LOL,LOL,LOL.
I have a relative and neighbors daughter going to Alabama and the partying has been full tilt (not a shocker) for three weeks. To act as though it has nothing to do with student behavior is a joke. 

On 8/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, FKIM01 said:

For once, a Washington Post article that contains a lot I can agree with.

Ironic that it's in billionaire Jeff Bezos' paper when a lot of Amazon employees are reciting some similar complaints to what college athletes have.

Not that I really care but it’s sort of funny that for a guy that pretends to follow the rules, and not post about politics, you sure seem to frequently slide your political points in.

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

In the article the President of Alabama said “Our challenge is not the students. It’s not student behavior”.  LOL,LOL,LOL.
I have a relative and neighbors daughter going to Alabama and the partying has been full tilt (not a shocker) for three weeks. To act as though it has nothing to do with student behavior is a joke. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29727108/lsu-closing-campus-due-hurricane-marco-football-practice-source-says

Well LSU is closing the campus for the Hurricane but their football team is still practicing.  We see what the priorities are down in SEC country.

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Not that I really care but it’s sort of funny that for a guy that pretends to follow the rules, and not post about politics, you sure seem to frequently slide your political points in.

😂😂😂...that post is more than two weeks old...you don't care?  Come on, man!

I just found it funny and ironic that Bezos' newspaper was excoriating practices/behavior that Bezos himself has been accused of, or at least I think that's what I was thinking.  I've slept a few times since then, so forgive me if I'm fuzzy on the details.  I really do try to follow the rules though.  I won't pretend to be perfect, but I try to be mindful of what's expected of me.  If that's too much, I won't be offended if you put me on ignore.

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Its been that way all schools.  Some, like Purdue, have suspended kids but it is what it is.  A local small school here in iowa has had to shut down for 2 weeks now when multiple  teachers came down with covid 2 days into the school year.  And i am sure they were not out partying. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29727108/lsu-closing-campus-due-hurricane-marco-football-practice-source-says

Well LSU is closing the campus for the Hurricane but their football team is still practicing.  We see what the priorities are down in SEC country.

This is just my two cents. I've been a Miami Hurricane fan my entire life. They deal with this as much as anyone. The facilities and dorms where these kids stay while on campus are better than they've ever been in. Much safer too. Plenty if not most of these kids come from almost poverty level environments. Sending them home would put them in harms way. Better to keep them safe and sound on campus. 

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

😂😂😂...that post is more than two weeks old...you don't care?  Come on, man!

I just found it funny and ironic that Bezos' newspaper was excoriating practices/behavior that Bezos himself has been accused of, or at least I think that's what I was thinking.  I've slept a few times since then, so forgive me if I'm fuzzy on the details.  I really do try to follow the rules though.  I won't pretend to be perfect, but I try to be mindful of what's expected of me.  If that's too much, I won't be offended if you put me on ignore.

Yes l, I really don’t  care and didn’t notice the post was a couple of weeks old. I was going through the thread and saw that post and then also saw your post from a few hours ago saying “Not at all surprised who the roadblock is.  Respecting forum rules, I'll say no more”  That was a response which was of course making a political point while also trying to say you didn’t want to be political. Just made me chuckle a little. That’s all. No biggie.

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yes l, I really don’t  care and didn’t notice the post was a couple of weeks old. I was going through the thread and saw that post and then also saw your post from a few hours ago saying “Not at all surprised who the roadblock is.  Respecting forum rules, I'll say no more”  That was a response which was of course making a political point while also trying to say you didn’t want to be political. Just made me chuckle a little. That’s all. No biggie.

Oh trust me...I'd love to say a lot more, but this isn't the forum so I don't.  I specifically avoid the Corona virus topic these days for that reason.  I felt a need to say more than I should so I left the conversation...it's all good. :cheers:

NC State shutting down campus housing early next month, Iowa closes bars in counties for Iowa and Iowa St as those counties driving up spike in numbers, and NY says any college with over 100 Covid cases must close campus.  I am very curious when one of the power five schools still playing football goes fully online what that means for football/fall sports.  Will they shut it down or let them play?  I find this process very interesting and how they will proceed.

Archived