Big Ten cancelling fall football...

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But nothing would be taken from these players if there is not a season

If they don't play this year you know they will give those kids another year.

Scott. I love ya. And  I am sure you know  that.  But.... the question presented was about Seniors.   De'Ron had his season taken away from him due to the pandemic.   I just hope this does not happen to our BB players.  Much less our FB players.   In the end... it's a shame. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt football happens in the spring. I think the idea of spring football is just the decision-makers' way of trying to postpone a decision they don't quite have the balls to make now. Does anyone really think they wouldn't have to deal with testing and crowd restrictions in the spring? Moving it from the fall will just lead to a strange, off-balance and surreal season anyway. Won't happen, IMO. 

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Scott. I love ya. And  I am sure you know  that.  But.... the question presented was about Seniors.   De'Ron had his season taken away from him due to the pandemic.   I just hope this does not happen to our BB players.  Much less our FB players.   In the end... it's a shame. 

I totally understand and if there is no season this year then those seniors could get another year of eligibility just like they did with spring sports.

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I doubt football happens in the spring. I think the idea of spring football is just the decision-makers' way of trying to postpone a decision they don't quite have the balls to make now. Does anyone really think they wouldn't have to deal with testing and crowd restrictions in the spring? Moving it from the fall will just lead to a strange, off-balance and surreal season anyway. Won't happen, IMO. 

By then we will know how things worked out for conferences that tried to play, assuming any of them make it, and hopefully we will have a little better data about whether or not the heart issues some kids have are long lasting. 

Might have a vaccine by then, too.

Unfortunately deciding not to predict a record was more accurate than I hoped.Ugh! 

P***es me off and hurts to think of what might have been without this pandemic going on.

Moving forward - if anyone plays the season at all- I'll be keeping a close eye on whether the positive test rates are higher for those that do or those that do not play.

Seems like the obvious "thing to do" in a scenario with other FBS conferences should any go ahead with games in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

The issue for 2021 will be restoring revenues. An abbreviated season won’t accomplish that (any Spring season is likely to be a net net negative financially). They can’t and won’t wait for normality in 2022.

Makes sense. If they dont play then they arent spending money. Either way they will probably have to get a loan tied to future earnings to stay afloat. 

12 minutes ago, Sark said:

I doubt they’ll need access to debt in order to finance ongoing operations, since they’ve never been reliant on football revenues to the degree that others have been. But the financial picture will be pretty grim, and people and non-revenue sports shouldn’t feel secure.

IU football: Financial impact of a lost season would be ugly. Here's the math.

Football makes up about 40% of revenues.  I was surprised it was that much.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, dgambill said:

Ok...Nebraska...so clearly we are willing to sell out our standards for the right amount...so yeah that should open the door for other non AAU schools. You are either principled or your not...there is no almost.

True, but there’s no way I would have voted for that. It taints the conference which is the premier conference when you look at the combo of academics and athletics.  Don’t taint the brand.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

True, but there’s no way I would have voted for that. It taints the conference which is the premier conference when you look at the combo of academics and athletics.  Don’t taint the brand.  

I agree...with the exception of 2015 championship which OSU season was anything but a certainty to make it to the playoffs it’s been awhile since we won a NC in football and even longer in basketball. Premier conference needs to to get back on top.

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

After one week UNC Chapel hill has already moved to 100% online.  This will be the norm for most power 5 schools I suspect.  Not sure what that does for sports but can’t help their cause.

Just got done talking to one of my friends and his niece goes to IU.  She lives in a sorority but all of her classes is on line so why even live on campus.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just got done talking to one of my friends and his niece goes to IU.  She lives in a sorority but all of her classes is on line so why even live on campus.

It’s likely part of a phase-in process, and that makes sense.

My daughter returns to her boarding school in September, first quarter is online but living in the dorms, with the idea being phasing in to in-person classes by second quarter. That gives the school / professors time to phase in more in-person interaction, clubs, meetings, sports, etc. 

29 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

After one week UNC Chapel hill has already moved to 100% online.  This will be the norm for most power 5 schools I suspect.  Not sure what that does for sports but can’t help their cause.

Well if it looks anything like FGCU down here as we drove to Petco and went past the bars and restaurants in the area it was packed shoulder to shoulder by returning college kids all at the bars and hanging out outside...none wearing masks outside but literally a foot from each other drinking. It’s great for the local economy that had a hard time with Covid canceling tourist season but man these kids don’t give a damn. I mean I’m all for keeping things open and being smart with masks etc but 18-22 year olds aren’t helping with this at all. I’m sure that scene is repeated all across America.

Maybe with the idiots out of the way and sent back home the ones there that are dedicated to their craft will be safe and can focus on their season.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well if it looks anything like FGCU down here as we drove to Petco and went past the bars and restaurants in the area it was packed shoulder to shoulder by returning college kids all at the bars and hanging out outside...none wearing masks outside but literally a foot from each other drinking. It’s great for the local economy that had a hard time with Covid canceling tourist season but man these kids don’t give a damn. I mean I’m all for keeping things open and being smart with masks etc but 18-22 year olds aren’t helping with this at all. I’m sure that scene is repeated all across America.

Maybe with the idiots out of the way and sent back home the ones there that are dedicated to their craft will be safe and can focus on their season.

Side note, love FGCU campus.  I travel to the area during normal years.

6 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Side note, love FGCU campus.  I travel to the area during normal years.

It’s been pretty good honestly for the most part. Respectful people and most taking precautions...had a spike but been going down consistently since. Hopefully the kids will be ok since they are young but can’t help expect the numbers to bump up with their normal teen activities.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If I was in college now I'd seriously consider just taking the year off.  Maybe live in my car and see the country.  Then go back to school when things get back to normal.   I feel really bad for these kids missing out on college life.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

8 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

If I was in college now I'd seriously consider just taking the year off.  Maybe live in my car and see the country.  Then go back to school when things get back to normal.   I feel really bad for these kids missing out on college life.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Having some of the best college experiences stolen from them. Really sucks.  Darned pandemic !

^^ Yeah the schools / states / localities are all adjusting, reacting, and planning according to local conditions.

Moved my middle child into student housing here in Texas last weekend. My oldest (at Northwestern) is taking his fall and probably winter classes online -- and he's in his senior year. This is probably how he will graduate. My youngest is returning to her boarding school in New Hampshire in September, where she will take her first quarter classes online, while living in the dorm, as part of the school's phase-in plan.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Agreed.  This is supposed to be some of the best times of these kids' lives.  My kids are missing out a lot in the high school experience, but college would be even a bigger thing to miss out on.   

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  This is supposed to be some of the best times of these kids' lives.  My kids are missing out a lot in the high school experience, but college would be even a bigger thing to miss out on.   

Young lady across the street from me. Who was deciding between IU ( as her best friend is an IU student) and the University of Colorado..... decided on Colorado. She lost out on her graduation ceremonies at Cherry Creek High School ( our local and largest high school in the state of Colorado).  And just last week had graduation ceremonies at her house.   And now... rather than going to Boulder to start college.... is staying at home.... deferring her enrollment.

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Young lady across the street from me. Who was deciding between IU ( as her best friend is an IU student) and the University of Colorado..... decided on Colorado. She lost out on her graduation ceremonies at Cherry Creek High School ( our local and largest high school in the state of Colorado).  And just last week had graduation ceremonies at her house.   And now... rather than going to Boulder to start college.... is staying at home.... deferring her enrollment.

I hated so much that my daughter did not get to go through the graduation ceremony at IU.

Archived