Big Ten cancelling fall football...

Ok for the folks in the liability crowd. Maybe some of the attorneys on here can chime in but the term proximate cause is a pretty big deal. Proving where and when someone contracted a virus on a campus when they aren't in a bubble is nearly impossible. What does this mean? The fear of litigation or settlements is pennies on the dollar compared to the economic damage they are causing and will cause tens of thousands. 

Shoot I just a text from buddy who is a cop in Madison.....he goes just lost a ton of overtime $ this fall. This is just one example of tens of thousands of people who will be impacted by Big 10 in the name of fear or fear of liability. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said this in another thread.  With the current approach to shut down a program with even one infection, it was not a viable option to play.  Too many games would be cancelled and you would have an unbalanced schedule.  The appoach on how to handle positive cases has to change before sports can return to normal.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not if they totally closed the country for about 8 weeks because the virus would have fissiled out since it wouldn't have come into contact with many people.  If everyone wa sin quarantine for 8 weeks it could not spread since everyone would have been inside by themselves or families.

Which planet do you live on?

Just now, GrangerHoosier said:

Which planet do you live on?

That attitude is what I am talking about.  Would it have been better being inconvenience for 8 weeks compared to still be going through it 4 months later. All businesses should have been closed and only people like Doctors, nurses, Firefighters and cops should have been out doing their jobs.  If the government can keep paying out all of these stimulus packages I think they could have had the money for these business to be closed for 8 weeks.

I’m just going to keep my Covid opinions to myself. Everybody is an expert it seems these days and honestly...nobody knows best. As far as this stuff goes...lack of leadership is absolutely evident. Had months to come up with a solution...and nothing. The solution all along evidently was to wish it away!!!!! Give me an f”ing break. If I’m on the board I’d fire them all! They took absolutely no action, made limited attempt. Throwing a few masks and some Clorox wipes at this isn’t a solution...multimillion dollar corporations have come up with ways to stay open and these guys have done nothing. I’m not mad for me...but you know what will happen...they will just raise tuition to offset their losses. Horrible.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That attitude is what I am talking about.  Would it have been better being inconvenience for 8 weeks compared to still be going through it 4 months later. All businesses should have been closed and only people like Doctors, nurses, Firefighters and cops should have been out doing their jobs.  If the government can keep paying out all of these stimulus packages I think they could have had the money for these business to be closed for 8 weeks.

I love you Scott but there is no evidence this would have disappeared because of that..we may have been able to keep numbers down but there is no way to know it wasn’t going to have an influx as soon as we opened up. The goal is to limit hospitalizations and flatten the curve...we did that. The goal has never been to eliminate it because it isn’t possible.

Anyways maybe we can move the Covid disagreements we all have to that thread and just focus on what is happening with the sports seasons and the decision makers if possible in this one. 

42 minutes ago, Sark said:

Warren didn’t decide this. He doesn’t have that authority. They announced the schedule last week. The Presidents intervened.

Haha...ok. If I had time and wanted to entertain this conversation....I'd ask for you or anyone to define what measurable change happened since last Wednesday. It wasn't a scientific change that happened in the last 6 days it was something else in their logic. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I love you Scott but there is no evidence this would have disappeared because of that..we may have been able to keep numbers down but there is no way to know it wasn’t going to have an influx as soon as we opened up. The goal is to limit hospitalizations and flatten the curve...we did that. The goal has never been to eliminate it because it isn’t possible.

Anyways maybe we can move the Covid disagreements we all have to that thread and just focus on what is happening with the sports seasons and the decision makers if possible in this one. 

Well if everyone would have stayed inside how would the virus spread

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if everyone would have stayed inside how would the virus spread

For how long....how would they eat?? What happens to all the crops and production of food etc etc etc...you can’t just stop and start all that up. How would they get toilet paper?? Who would deliver supplies?? Who would work in the hospitals, pharmacies, pick up trash?? Etc etc. see it’s impossible. Anyways i agree we could have seen less spread but the thing is it was already being spread before we even knew about it. It was happening in China back in 2019....thus Covid 19...it was already being spread quietly...but unless everyone goes like a month without ever leaving their house for any reason it would still exist and then pop up again down the line...I think you just delay the inevitable honestly but agree it could have saved a lot of lives early on.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I get all the people being upset but I feel most of us are just being selfish because we won't get to watch football in the fall.  I don't think we as fans really care about the long term ramifications that can come from this virus so we just want to see football.

So why open dorms and have in person classes?  Why is that not a liability to the Presidents opening campuses all over the country?    If the long term ramifications and liability is the factor why are they ignoring the health of students, professors and others on campus?

Go Hoosiers!!!

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So why open dorms and have in person classes?  Why is that not a liability to the Presidents opening campuses all over the country?    If the long term ramifications and liability is the factor why are they ignoring the health of students, professors and others on campus?

Go Hoosiers!!!

I think this is a fair question to ask any president of a school not in the state of California.  I think all the issues football has already had with large cases during training is going to be the same for the general student population.

At the very least, there needs to be an open forum with the players in which the information being used to make decisions that drastically impact their futures is out in the open. 

I am not normally a litigious type, but I hope that the seniors, especially those who were considered borderline pro talent and were counting on this season to show more, form a consortium and sue the socks off the B1G.

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I got out of the house last Friday.  For like the fourth time since the pandemic hit. Yearly scheduled eye exam.  Seriously thought about cancelling. But went anyway.  Was told on appointment confirmation call the day before to wear a mask.  And had my temp tested, in the entrance before even entering the Doc's office.Sign's up on all the doors that Denver mandate is to wear masks... or no entrance.  All office personnel wearing masks.  Including the Doc.

Oh.... By the way.  I got an A+ on my exam.  Thanks to cataract surgery, years back.   Doc said everything looked great. And finished by saying : "See you next year". Music to my ears.  And I replied... hope no need to wear these stupid masks next time .

And now. Back to our regularly scheduled thread about B1G football.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yes but at some time we would have to go back to our lives as normal.  Once we did that won't it come back at some point?  The virus would still be out there and people would still be traveling in and out of the country.  It would return eventually. 

But not as bad as it has has been the last month or so. Terrible leadership is definitely one of the causes, but at a national level. You can't blame athletic directors for this mess. 

Archived