New Assistant Coach

KDB

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for starting this thread.  I have some suggestions.  All former IU people.  And no NOT Dan Dakich.  However I will chime in later.

Stay safe KDB !

Diversity on the staff is extremely important and at this position a stong recruiter.  Like the idea of a IU player from the past, but someone with strong midwest ties is important as well.  It would be nice to start recruiting Chicago hard again.  Chicago/Illinois ties has brought IU championships in the past.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Some other guys out there who might become available, Jordan Mincy or Darris Nichols (Fla), Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro) Shantay Legans, U Maligi, 

Why would Wes Miler go from a very good HC to an assistant coach.  In the next year or so he will be given a chance to be HC at a power 5 conference team.  I also see him as the next coach at UNC once Williams leave.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would Wes Miler go from a very good HC to an assistant coach.  In the next year or so he will be given a chance to be HC at a power 5 conference team.  I also see him as the next coach at UNC once Williams leave.

He probably won't but he's at UNC Greensboro, next gig is probably another HC position but you never know, he's still very young.

Point of my  post is there are a bunch of guys out there, we talk about guys like Guyton, and I hope he's considered, but there are many highly qualified, proven young assistants with well developed recruiting ties and track records out there.

I'd take Mike Miller. Yes, getting his son would be a plus but he is also a guy with NBA ties, has been a candidate for a head coaching job at UNLV, and players seem to like. I also like the fact that he seems to know a thing or two about shooting the basketball which we all know is greatly needed at IU. If it's someone else great but they need to be able to coach up shooters imo. 

Archived