New Assistant Coach

KDB

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, Bruiser wasn't young.  Not sure why that is a criteria.  

AJ Guyton's resume is not shabby.

I think it probably has to do with getting someone that the players can relate to.  Maybe Bruiser was not doing that and we did struggle getting the east coast guys that he went after.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd love to know if Mike Miller is plausible.  I remember reading that he was huge part of Memphis' recruiting.   According to this article about his departure, he's apparently really good with X's and O's.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports/article/14596/geoff-calkins-mike-miller-tigers

I know how Mile feels about hiring people related to recruits, but this is a coach I'd really rather have than the recruit.  He's that good, IMO.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I know how Mile feels about hiring people related to recruits, but this is a coach I'd really rather have than the recruit.  He's that good, IMO.

Didn't Miller resign from Memphis so he could spend more time at home and watch his son this year.  If this is the case then i wouldn't think he would be interested right now.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I think his value to the program would over-ride his son’s.

If that creates a bad perception, then boohoo for the other programs perceiving it that way. Not mine or Arhie’s problem they’re ‘sore’.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't Miller resign from Memphis so he could spend more time at home and watch his son this year.  If this is the case then i wouldn't think he would be interested right now.

That's cover language.  I think he's a long shot, but I think he'd work with a coach he respected.  At Memphis, I believe he eventually saw that Penny, while a talented connected guy, is simply not a coach.

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Thanks @DunkinDipo and @Go__Hoosiers

Interested to see where it goes. Indiana is planning on a younger assistant to replace Bruiser and that has been their plan for a while. 

"That" being it was inevitable one of the assistants would move on and they were just looking to have a younger body. That's all I mean by that. Not saying they knew Bruiser was leaving months and months ago. Not at all. 

They could use a little youth. 

I have no issue with it being not an IU player. Would love a young east coast guy. 

21 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Thanks @DunkinDipo and @Go__Hoosiers

Interested to see where it goes. Indiana is planning on a younger assistant to replace Bruiser and that has been their plan for a while. 

"That" being it was inevitable one of the assistants would move on and they were just looking to have a younger body. That's all I mean by that. Not saying they knew Bruiser was leaving months and months ago. Not at all. 

Love ya Sam.  And I know that you know that.  I just have to say.... though I doubt it will happen.   I would love to have a former Candy Stripe wearer on the bench next to Archie.  What better way to continue to lock up the state?

Hoping all is going well for you and yours.  Please stay safe.  And always great to hear from you !

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Love ya Sam.  And I know that you know that.  I just have to say.... though I doubt it will happen.   I would love to have a former Candy Stripe wearer on the bench next to Archie.  What better way to continue to lock up the state?

Hoping all is going well for you and yours.  Please stay safe.  And always great to hear from you !

Mike Roberts is a former Hoosier

12 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Not sure why being black has to be one of the requirements. 

Because most of our players are black and helps to identify with them. Not saying it is a must but I think it helps. Sorry I see Scott beat me too it. Plus we wouldn’t have any diversity on the staff.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Might be out of the loop but what has AJ been doing.  Is he in coaching now and did he fully recover from his stroke he had a few years ago.

I thought he was still training nba players and around HS basketball. I don’t know honestly...we were all naming IU guys lol. I know it likely won’t be an IU guy.

Just now, dgambill said:

I thought he was still training nba players and around HS basketball. I don’t know honestly...we were all naming IU guys lol. I know it likely won’t be an IU guy.

I knew AJ had connections to a recruit we were looking at but we did not make his final list.

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Can you imagine what would happen if IU's golf team said that they would only hire a white assistant golf coach? 

Hearing that Coach Miller has picked a replacement.  No name given.  Waiting for him/her to pull the trigger.  Was told it make some time due to other obligations.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing that Coach Miller has picked a replacement.  No name given.  Waiting for him/her to pull the trigger.  Was told it make some time due to other obligations.

Her? That would be intriguing. Would we be the first college team with a female assistant coach on the bench?

When it comes to assistant coaches it seems IU is always looking for someone to help on the east coast. That's fine. It would be nice if they could also coach basketball. 

I'd crack up if it ended up being AJ Guyton. Not sure what kind of coach/recruiter he is, but it would almost be worth it just to tick off DD.

7 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

And I'm saying I don't understand why that has to be a requirement. You hire the best available. Very easy to understand. 

It’s not a requirement, it’s an added advantage if the particular candidate meets the qualifications Archie is looking for. Is it easy enough to look at it that way without making a big deal out of it?  

Archived