New Assistant Coach

KDB

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for saying this. I've been thinking this for months but didn't want to go down that path. IU absolutely needs a young, up and coming African-American preferably from fertile recruiting grounds. Just makes sense.

With the reputation that Indiana has when it comes to race it is already in an uphill battle in recruiting.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, as an employer it's OK for me to only hire whites because we are more culturally similar and we will be more comfortable with each other?  How is that anything but racism?  I get what everyone is saying, but the elephant in the room is that the idea we would make skin color a prerequisite in hiring a coach is racist at its core.

Well the sad part is that a lot of people are hired for that reason and not only on qualifications.  

19 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

I don’t want to burst some of your bubbles and hurt your feelings, but somebody is going to have to say it. 

-The new assistant will be a POC. Young black men aren’t going to go to a place where there is no one they can relate to (in life and personal experiences) on the coaching staff. 
-Dane Fife is NEVER going to be an assistant at IU. He could be the head coach at MSU once Izzo retires and the only way he returns to IU is as a head coach. 
- Michael Lewis will not be our next assistant as he is white. 
-AJ Guyton was an assistant at Loyola Maryland for the 18-19 season and that is it. He doesn’t have the required recruiting connections and many other coaching abilities. Just because he could put the ball through the basket doesn’t mean he is a good coach. 
-AJ Moye is a basketball trainer in California. Archie and IU are not going to hire a guy that has never been a college assistant coach. 
-Mike Miller just resigned from being an assistant at Memphis. He is not going to IU, he doesn’t need the money, and recruiting is very stressful and takes a lot of time away from family and friends. 
- See the Mike Miller points stated above for the reasons as to why Calbert Cheaney won’t be the next assistant at IU. 
-I don’t have any sources or anybody in my ear telling me this. This is common knowledge on how college basketball and recruiting work, especially at a high major program. 

As for who the next assistant coach will be. I am going to throw out some names that have been mentioned. I have no clue if one of these people will be hired. 

-David Ragland (Utah State)

-Jamall Walker (Grand Canr name coach withyon)

-Jonas Hayes (Xavier)

-Brandin Knight (Rutgers)

-Christian Webster (Virginia Tech)

-Allen Griffin (Syracuse)

I would guess it will depend are they hiring the new guy to be #2 assistant or will they move Roberts up to that seat.  If it is for seat 3 then we probably won't be getting big name experience assistant coach.

22 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

I don’t want to burst some of your bubbles and hurt your feelings, but somebody is going to have to say it. 

-The new assistant will be a POC. Young black men aren’t going to go to a place where there is no one they can relate to (in life and personal experiences) on the coaching staff. 
-Dane Fife is NEVER going to be an assistant at IU. He could be the head coach at MSU once Izzo retires and the only way he returns to IU is as a head coach. 
-AJ Guyton was an assistant at Loyola Maryland for the 18-19 season and that is it. He doesn’t have the required recruiting connections and many other coaching abilities. Just because he could put the ball through the basket doesn’t mean he is a good coach. 
-AJ Moye is a basketball trainer in California. Archie and IU are not going to hire a guy that has never been a college assistant coach. 
-Mike Miller just resigned from being an assistant at Memphis. He is not going to IU, he doesn’t need the money, and recruiting is very stressful and takes a lot of time away from family and friends. 
- See the Mike Miller points stated above for the reasons as to why Calbert Cheaney won’t be the next assistant at IU. 
-I don’t have any sources or anybody in my ear telling me this. This is common knowledge on how college basketball and recruiting work, especially at a high major program. 

As for who the next assistant coach will be. I am going to throw out some names that have been mentioned. I have no clue if one of these people will be hired. 

-Jamall Walker (Grand Canyon)

-Jonas Hayes (Xavier)

Looking at Ragland from Utah St he does have ties to the state being an assistant at Valpo and ISU and played at S. indiana.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With the reputation that Indiana has when it comes to race it is already in an uphill battle in recruiting.

Huh? This is something that is far from fact. 

1) Tony Dungy-Colts

2) Mike Davis-IU

3) Tyrone Willingham-Notre Dame

4) Isiah Thomas-Pacers

5) Darrell Hazell-Purdue

6) Kelvin Sampson-IU 

Show me a state in the country that has done more? This perpetuating thought about Indiana and race actually pisses me off. We are leap years ahead of states that surround us in this category.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Huh? This is something that is far from fact. 

1) Tony Dungy-Colts

2) Mike Davis-IU

3) Tyrone Willingham-Notre Dame

4) Isiah Thomas-Pacers

5) Darrell Hazell-Purdue

6) Kelvin Sampson-IU 

Show me a state in the country that has done more? This perpetuating thought about Indiana and race actually pisses me off. We are leap years ahead of states that surround us in this category.

I am just talking about the people who live in Indiana and don't forget how people treated Mike Davis while he was here.  Not saying everyone but there are a lot of people in this state that is racist and will hold that against people.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just talking about the people who live in Indiana and don't forget how people treated Mike Davis while he was here.  Not saying everyone but there are a lot of people in this state that is racist and will hold that against people.

Again. Take offense to stuff like this. Tom Crean got beat up far more than Davis. Shoot...I let Bill Lynch have it at a fundraiser. No harm no foul with you personally. Just a persona that get's perpetuated and we should do a better job of pointing out the hires I mentioned instead. Just my two cents. All good.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You need to get out more, Scott...Every state has their share...

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Crap I’ve lived in Georgia nearly twenty years, and with all that is going on I see more rebel battle flags than ever before. Doesn’t seem to hurt Georgia’s recruiting!

3 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Jamal Walker coached under John Groce at Illinois. Groce and Archie are both from the Matta tree at OSU, so that's a third-degree connection.

Walker was the reason Tilmon chose Illinois. Same for Mark Smith. Dude can close on stars from the area closest to Champaign but talent evaluation is a little lacking. I'd look for somewhere else.

1 hour ago, btroesch14 said:

Young black men aren’t going to go to a place where there is no one they can relate to (in life and personal experiences) on the coaching staff. 

I completely disagree with this point.  Are you suggesting young black men can't relate to a white coach, or won't relate to a white coach?  Isaiah Thomas, Quinn Buckner, Calbert Cheaney, Alan Henderson, D Wade, Vic,  who did those guys relate to?  Why wasn't Randy Ayers or even Mike Davis more successful on the recruiting front?

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I completely disagree with this point.  Are you suggesting young black men can't relate to a white coach, or won't relate to a white coach?  Isaiah Thomas, Quinn Buckner, Calbert Cheaney, Alan Henderson, D Wade, Vic,  who did those guys relate to?  Why wasn't Randy Ayers or even Mike Davis more successful on the recruiting front?

They all had an ASSISTANT coach or two that was black. I don’t mean we need a black head coach, I meant that we need a black assistant. No high level college basketball program has a 4 guy white coaching staff. And considering a large majority of the best basketball players are African American, you won’t be able to get high level recruits if you have an all white coaching staff. 

2 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

-Jamall Walker (Grand Canyon)

-Jonas Hayes (Xavier)

This might be the best post in this thread (other than HH’s ‘buried head in sand’ post). I love when anytime there’s a staff opening everyone posts a list of former IU players that almost all have zero, or at least extremely limited, college coaching experience. 

I’ll be shocked if Archie hires someone that’s never recruited before and doesn’t have years of experience on a D1 college bench. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This might be the best post in this thread (other than HH’s ‘buried head in sand’ post). I love when anytime there’s a staff opening everyone posts a list of former IU players that almost all have zero, or at least extremely limited, college coaching experience. 

I’ll be shocked if Archie hires someone that’s never recruited before and doesn’t have years of experience on a D1 college bench. 

Agreed...then again did any of us expect Roberts? I think the biggest thing is that most of the common names of high profile IU guys aren’t going to want to do the daily grind of an assistants job. To me it’s a young mans job on the recruiting front unless you have tons of years experience recruiting already. If we just want a bench coach I can see an older one. I don’t pretend to know what Archie will do because in a perfect world you hire the best person for the job regardless of color. Because we live in an imperfect world..and because it would be used against us on the recruiting trail the perfect person would be a man of color. Who knows...maybe we get crazy and hire a women....what’s Tamika Catchings doing these days?

Edit: never mind saw she is a gm for the wnba...good for her!

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed...then again did any of us expect Roberts? I think the biggest thing is that most of the common names of high profile IU guys aren’t going to want to do the daily grind of an assistants job. To me it’s a young mans job on the recruiting front unless you have tons of years experience recruiting already. If we just want a bench coach I can see an older one. I don’t pretend to know what Archie will do because in a perfect world you hire the best person for the job regardless of color. Because we live in an imperfect world..and because it would be used against us on the recruiting trail the perfect person would be a man of color. Who knows...maybe we get crazy and hire a women....what’s Tamika Catchings doing these days?

Edit: never mind saw she is a gm for the wnba...good for her!

The difference is Roberts was a legitimate D1 assistant qualified for the job. He would have been qualified if he played at IU or not. Guys like Moye and Guyton are not, they simply get mentioned because they played at IU. 

Also just to be clear on what I meant, when I said “years of experience”, I didn’t mean an older coach. There are lots of young assistants out there that have been on the bench at the D1 level for several years. 

Just so it’s on the record...Archie I will take the job...and heck I’ll even do it for half what you paid Bruiser. I think I know basketball pretty good...might be able to get a reference or two lol. I have no connections and never been a high level coach before but I will stay at a holiday inn if necessary for the experience/training.

Archived