New Assistant Coach

KDB

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The difference is Roberts was a legitimate D1 assistant qualified for the job. He would have been qualified if he played at IU or not. Guys like Moye and Guyton are not, they simply get mentioned because they played at IU. 

Also just to be clear on what I meant, when I said “years of experience”, I didn’t mean an older coach. There are lots of young assistants out there that have been on the bench at the D1 level for several years. 

Oh I just meant I think Roberts was unexpected...and so could this one...and yes he was an IU alum. Not saying you aren’t exactly right.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why rush to fill the job when the season is probably over before it starts?   That athletic budget just lost a poop ton of money today.  Will there even be HS games to watch future recruits?

I say this tongue in cheek but I wouldn't be shocked if this spot stays open until we know if there will be a season.

Go Hoosiers!!!

31 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

First of all, I never even HINTED at saying we should only hire whites. I said why should being black be a requirement. Yes, I know how recruiting works, I've been following a long time, and know many many coaches and assistants. My viewpoint is simply this. you hire the best available. Saying having 4 white coaches is some death sentence is laughable. I could care less if every single person on our staff was black, but to say having an entire white staff is somehow a bad thing is ridiculous. 

And HH if you have a problem with my comments then ill leave this board. I really don't care. You've been so demeaning to people on this board for months anyways. Youre getting to the point where your viewpoint is the only one that matters.

Well it only derailed 2.5 pages of this thread. That’s what posts that flirt the ‘political line’ do. The mods seem to be doing a fair job IMO. If you have a beef with them, why don’t you PM them instead of derailing the thread even more? 

Let’s talk some candidates instead.

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the hint. It only derailed 2.5 pages of this thread. That’s what posts that flirt the ‘political line’ do. The mods seem to be doing a fair job IMO. If you have a beef with them, why don’t you PM them instead of derailing the thread even more? 

Let’s talk some candidates instead.

Did your post just derail it more? If so now mine is as well. 

In all seriousness I think this will be an out of left field hire. I think CAM has a great connection with a couple coaches that we may not be really aware of. Like others have said it won't be someone from the IU family and this person is going to be a surprising choice. I have not heard who it may be but lots of names of who its not going to be

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did your post just derail it more? If so now mine is as well. 

In all seriousness I think this will be an out of left field hire. I think CAM has a great connection with a couple coaches that we may not be really aware of. Like others have said it won't be someone from the IU family and this person is going to be a surprising choice. I have not heard who it may be but lots of names of who its not going to be

Did he have anyone on his staff at Dayton that might a potential candidate?

14 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

As for who the next assistant coach will be. I am going to throw out some names that have been mentioned. I have no clue if one of these people will be hired. 

-David Ragland (Utah State)

-Jamall Walker (Grand Canyon)

-Jonas Hayes (Xavier)

-Brandin Knight (Rutgers)

-Christian Webster (Virginia Tech)

-Allen Griffin (Syracuse)

Some good finds here. Allen Griffin intrigues me. 6 years at Dayton along with Archie and Coach Ostrom. https://cuse.com/staff-directory/allen-griffin/630

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Absolutely I would. So I can ask around and see if anyone has ever heard of you. 

As for the second part, clearly not a goal of mine or else I would be on podcasts more, post more regularly on message boards, buy Twitter followers and tweet more. But, you probably knew that and know that isn’t a goal of mine. 
But, certainly appreciate you trying to get off-topic. 

Yes, I would like to know your name. 

It's Bob Marley.

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Going way out on a limb here just based off a hunch that our next assistant coach is not on that list

Sure, it's a bit of a pipe dream. But if Mike Miller is on our list then maybe. *And by 'our list', I really only mean mine and a few others with some very rosey colored glasses on. haha.  

Guys time to step back from the keyboards and calm down, no more personal attacks please. 
@CoachSSand @RoadToZionboth of you bring a great deal to this board. 

This started when the thread started to get into race issues — when any mod posts (as all of us have) that a thread is starting to cross the line into socially or politically divisive discussion that’s not picking on anyone or taking “sides” it’s specifically to avoid that kind of discussion, it’s not discussion that belongs on this board. Sometimes it’s somewhat grey, as clearly diversity is a topic and reality of college basketball, but we have to draw a line somewhere and when the conversation starts pushing the envelope that’s when one of us will step in. 
And again if anyone has a problem feel free to reach out to any mod, don’t lash out at mods or each other personally on the board. Thanks 

@CoachSS, just because I'm bro-crushing on him right now, what are your thoughts on Mike Miller? Complete pipe dream? Possible but not likely? Do you think he'd fit in?

Are there other candidates you have in mind that fit your criteria? Not holding your feet to the fire....just wondering if there's anybody you potentially like that would fit the bill? 

6 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Miller won’t be hired for the previously discussed reasons. 

Are you saying he left Memphis for reasons that would stop him coming here, or that we want a black coach? 

I have no idea if Miller wants to coach again,, but it seems possible he left his old job because of Penny issues or school specific issues. 

While I agree that hiring a black coach is the clear move, Miller could be the one exception. He seems to have recruiting ties and he's an NBA celebrity, those could outweigh the regular considerations. Especially in the age of covid, a well known guy with connections is huge. We could do worse than a short term coach that brings his top 50 son.

20 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Is this better 1987? 

I'm led to believe Miller isn't a candidate for a host of reasons. 

Further, there is no reason for Miller to get back into coaching. He doesn't need money, him and his wife want to watch their sons play. 

Miller and Hardaway used a lot of connections and cashed in a bunch of favors and old contacts to setup a "dream" season at Memphis. It was a one-hit wonder that didn't hit. And the program now is..... In a different spot. 

lol much better.  This is 2020 so I expect nothing to happen that makes sense.

With regards to money... sure he doesn't need it but neither do guys like Ewing, Hardaway and Morgan to name a few.  IU would put Miller on a much bigger stage than Memphis.  Maybe that would interest him.  Plus his son seems to have a good relationship with Archie.   It probably is a long shot but I'd talk to him if I was Archie.   

Archived