New Assistant Coach

KDB

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know absolutely nothing about Griffin but it is obvious that Archie would rather have someone he is familiar with and trusts than a big time name. I understand the reasoning for that and I hope it works out for the best but I was hoping for someone that might have a bigger impact on recruiting. Does anyone know how well connected he is to the AAU circuits? 

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This article had info on Allen Griffin and a few others the author thinks should be considered. Most have been mentioned here.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/five-candidates-archie-miller-consider-replace-bruiser-flint

I understand why people would put Smart or Guyton in this list but to me it doe snot make much sense.  To me when someone writes an article like this that is just the lazy way to do it without much research.  Especially with Smart who has never coached on the college level so he has never had to recruit.  Guyton who was a great IU player but does not have the experience needed for the job.

4 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I know absolutely nothing about Griffin but it is obvious that Archie would rather have someone he is familiar with and trusts than a big time name. I understand the reasoning for that and I hope it works out for the best but I was hoping for someone that might have a bigger impact on recruiting. Does anyone know how well connected he is to the AAU circuits? 

Really how many big name assistant coaches are there? by big name do you mean former IU players

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Really how many big name assistant coaches are there? by big name do you mean former IU players

I just meant in terms of recruiting. There are some names out there that are very connected. They might not be very good at X's and O's, I don't know. But I feel like we have that part covered already. 

25 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I just meant in terms of recruiting. There are some names out there that are very connected. They might not be very good at X's and O's, I don't know. But I feel like we have that part covered already. 

Well I for one would not want us to just get a coach who can only recruit or bring in an AAU coach.

3 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

As far as the assistants go, Ostrom is IU’s big time name. But with that said, what makes you think Griffin can’t have a big impact on recruiting? He comes with over 15 years of D1 coaching experience, has spent time in the Big East, the ACC and the A-10, all on top of being a really good Big East player himself. 

On 8/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, Seeking6 said:

Huh? This is something that is far from fact. 

1) Tony Dungy-Colts

2) Mike Davis-IU

3) Tyrone Willingham-Notre Dame

4) Isiah Thomas-Pacers

5) Darrell Hazell-Purdue

6) Kelvin Sampson-IU 

Show me a state in the country that has done more? This perpetuating thought about Indiana and race actually pisses me off. We are leap years ahead of states that surround us in this category.

You forgot Nate McMillan-Pacers and Jim Caldwell-Colts 👍

10 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

You forgot Nate McMillan-Pacers and Jim Caldwell-Colts 👍

I did....and realized that after I posted the original. Caldwell is as smooth and good as a coach as it gets and Nate with his extension today shows again why the state of Indiana leads the country in minority hiring at all levels. No one is even sniffing second place.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I did....and realized that after I posted the original. Caldwell is as smooth and good as a coach as it gets and Nate with his extension today shows again why the state of Indiana leads the country in minority hiring at all levels. No one is even sniffing second place.

I agree. Unfortunately for Jim the 1called timeout against the Jets really hurt him. Quality man but thats to be expected from the Dungy core of men

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I was tipped off by a great HSN member, yesterday.

Upon checking I PM'd this back :

An email that changed Allen Griffin’s life: ‘I think I may be your brother’ - syracuse.com

Good article. Makes me wonder if he'd want to leave Syracuse for IU a bit. He's an alum, former player, assistant coach for the coach he played for and was grad. asst for, and has family there that provides him his get away.

23 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Good article. Makes me wonder if he'd want to leave Syracuse for IU a bit. He's an alum, former player, assistant coach for the coach he played for and was grad. asst for, and has family there that provides him his get away.

He also spent 6 years as an assistant for CAM.

I wonder who's more "flexible" in their approach and relies on his assistants more, Boeheim or Coach Miller?

Working environment and job satisfaction can be a powerful thing...

And then there's growth potential...

Archived