New Assistant Coach

KDB

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other factor...

Boeheim is 75 years old...Allen has to know where he sits in the pecking order...if he doesn't think he'd be considered for the job (if he wants it in the first place) then a move may be smart. 

And for anybody that would say, "well there's always the possibility Archie won't be around in 2 years" yes, something to consider, but Boeheim's exit from the Syracuse program is inevitable, while Archie's, while possible, is speculation...

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

As far as the assistants go, Ostrom is IU’s big time name. But with that said, what makes you think Griffin can’t have a big impact on recruiting? He comes with over 15 years of D1 coaching experience, has spent time in the Big East, the ACC and the A-10, all on top of being a really good Big East player himself. 

I'm not saying he won't. I don't know anything about the guy other than reading his bio yesterday. I'm not bashing him, I was just saying that Archie is clearly going after an assistant he is familiar with which is not a bad thing. I was just hoping it was someone that could bring a recruiting "buzz" to the Hoosiers but I would not be upset at all if Griffin is the choice. 

5 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I'm not saying he won't. I don't know anything about the guy other than reading his bio yesterday. I'm not bashing him, I was just saying that Archie is clearly going after an assistant he is familiar with which is not a bad thing. I was just hoping it was someone that could bring a recruiting "buzz" to the Hoosiers but I would not be upset at all if Griffin is the choice. 

I don't really know what assistant coaches you are talking about that would bring that buzz.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really know what assistant coaches you are talking about that would bring that buzz.

Indeed...if they had buzz they would be head coaches. You want great communicators, hard workers, and intelligent assistants but I’d say buzz is not something that I would value highly. Any buzz and they likely will be gone to a head job soon anyways. Some like having the spot light off them and pressure off and just perfecting their craft.

tyra_0.jpg?width=1440&quality=80&format=

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am sure if Tyra Buss is on staff then recruiting won't be an issue. 

Again .... no name.  But my mind first went to Tyra.  Even whith limited coaching experience. That was not a problem for another Indiana school.  Tyra knows how to ball.

Once more. I have not clue.  Just was told not to be surprised if the other candidate turns out to be a lady.

When i go to peegs/247sports, on the individual recruits it lists schools and who is recruiting them from said school. Most of them are left blank, some have head coaches names. IU you usually see TO as the recruiter, there were 2 or three that i saw Flint listed. Is there a significance, does it not matter, is the information even accurate?

For Blake Wesley, it has Bruiser Flint being IU's recruiter, but it also says we have 5 SG on the roster with 0 SG commits.

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

To bad because I thought he would be a could coach.  I might look at Ragland from Utah St. because he has some experience  and has worked in Indiana which could be a plus.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

He comes across as a class act.  Good for him and best of luck to him.  You never know when his path may cross with us again. 

16 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

What in the hell makes you guys think Tyra Buss should be in consideration for an assistant coaching job on the IU Men’s basketball staff? 

I’m pretty sure it’s a joke. I mean give her 10-15 years of experience who knows but she is no more qualified then say Juwan Morgan taking the job. I don’t see a female coach necessarily a bad thing...but many many ahead of her for sure.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont think anyone really thought is was Tyra. Rumor was a former player from Lady Hoosiers. Being considered So Tyra got my vote

This may not be popular, but here goes, I don't think that would be a great idea.  Not for a position that you are expecting will go in and recruit the kids.

56 minutes ago, Hoosierfan0302 said:

What about Carlin Hartman, Oklahoma.
Named the 3rd best assistant in the Big 12. Made 220,000 last year . New York Native .
https://watchstadium.com/top-mens-basketball-assistants-big-12-07-14-2020/

Good find.  He looks like he’d be a very good get.  I don’t know if there’s any interest either way, but there’s a lot to like.  

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well a lot of posters on here mentioned Mike Miller and I think he would bring some buzz. Pretty much any successful former NBA players would as well since the main focus of many of the prospects we are interested in is to get to the league. They look at the records of head coaches putting players in the league and it doesn't hurt to have former NBA players on staff to give them some guidance and help prepare them. And if they had some connections well that wouldn't hurt either. That's all I'm saying. But Archie isn't going that route anyway it appears so it doesn't matter. 

Archived