New Assistant Coach

KDB

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Good Hire, someone Archie is comfortable with. NC St, worked for Sean Miller for 3 years, John Thompson, UConn, we wont hold 5 years at Neb. against him.  Welcome coach Hunter.

Even at Neb. he was on the staff that got them to the tournament.

This is why I never worry too much about assistants leaving. IU just replaced Bruiser Flint with an accomplished, experienced, very well respected assistant coach, who I’ve read that many believe is a future head coach. 

It’s the same reason I don’t worry about Ostrom eventually leaving. I don’t want him to leave, but this program goes as Archie goes, and there will always be the next assistant coach. Hunter even sounds like a quality guy that could slide into Ostrom’s role if he ever leaves, and then you backfill with another up and coming coach. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is why I never worry too much about assistants leaving. IU just replaced Bruiser Flint with an accomplished, experienced, very well respected assistant coach, who I’ve read that many believe is a future head coach. 

It’s the same reason I don’t worry about Ostrom eventually leaving. I don’t want him to leave, but this program goes as Archie goes, and there will always be the next assistant coach. Hunter even sounds like a quality guy that could slide into Ostrom’s role if he ever leaves, and then you backfill with another up and coming coach. 

And then there are times when it is a blessing in disguise that an assistant leaves. Reference Kenny Johnson.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Players Hunter recruited when he was at Nebraska :

Assistant coach Kenya Hunter leaving Nebraska basketball to join Dan Hurley's UConn staff | Men's Basketball | omaha.com

And.... let's not forget about D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera.... out of Indianapolis.  When Hunter was at Georgetown.

Can't read this article without answering trivia questions

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure.  After Louisville fired him.  LaSalle hired him as an assistant.  But later fired Johnson when the NCAA filed a notice of allegations about him, over what he had done at Louisville.

I can't find anything current on Kenny Johnson, so he has fallen off the radar for now. I also could not find anything that said he is definitely under a show-cause order from the NCAA. There are references to it as the reason LaSalle may have terminated him, but I could not confirm it. Interesting since Pitino has since been hired at Iona, although he still has some lingering issues with the NCAA that have not yet been resolved.

Kenny Johnson is a good example of the Peter Principle. He was a high school coach who turned his AAU connections into a college assistant position and kept getting promoted, moving from team to team, based on his recruiting prowess. Looks like he was making $550,000 at Louisville after being promoted to associate head coach. Then he got caught.

The question is, was he always dirty and that's how he elevated himself or did he get to such a high level he felt he had to cheat to maintain that level? 

Archived