Big Ten basketball 2020 yes or no

IUB74

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the SEC and ACC play fall football and are able to make it work, there will be a huge amount of pressure for the Big Ten and other conferences to play basketball.  

Heck, if high schools in the Big Ten footprint are able to have fall/winter sports, that adds some extra pressure as well.

Sadly, I think the same reasoning will be used to cancel BB that was just used for fall sports. It seems to me it’s all about the perspective that you start the decision making process.  I think there will need to be a vaccine and NO cases before the BIG will agree to press forward. Sports in 2022?

It was easier to make the football decision since it was just a postponement. Basketball will be tougher to move, so there's a little pressure to keep it.

It probably comes down to how things go with football and whether we have a vaccine by January. I'm still in favor of a big ten bubble, but assuming we don't get that, I'd say it's  close to 50/50, but I'm leaning towards a late start, big ten only season.

Frankly, I am losing interest in any sports these days, and getting to the point where I don't care if they play or not.

I watched the PGA over the weekend, and that is the first sports I've watched since the pandemic hit. Good golf, but not the same experience without fans. I usually am a huge fan of the NHL playoffs, but have no interest in those either.

Guess I've found other things to do with my time, and if the basketball season is cancelled as football was, so be it. If they do play, I will find it difficult to get excited about watching games in empty arenas.

There hasnt been a vaccine for the commom cold developed yet so i am highly doubtful a true vaccine will be miraculously pulled out of a unicorns butt over the course of a year.  If that is what our country and the powers that be are waiting on for people to get back to normal, then im affraid we are currently in the new normal.......and this normal sucks!

8 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

There hasnt been a vaccine for the commom cold developed yet so i am highly doubtful a true vaccine will be miraculously pulled out of a unicorns butt over the course of a year.  If that is what our country and the powers that be are waiting on for people to get back to normal, then im affraid we are currently in the new normal.......and this normal sucks!

There are several hundred version of the common cold and its constantly mutating.  There are vaccines for the flu is which like Covid-19.  Covid-19 has a few different strains if i read correctly which means they should be able to target the most common one.  And the common cold doesn't have the mortality rate that the flue and Covid-19 has.  I have faith they will find a vaccine and we will start building up herd resistance which will make it more like the flu, except this doesn't seem to have a season, so it will just always be around.  

51 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

They will probably just use a lab.

It hasn't been worth the money to make a vaccine for colds. We could have, just didn't. 

The early results are very promising and 85% of vaccines that make it this far end up being approved. It won't be 100% effective, but it should be hugely impactful.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If the SEC and ACC play fall football and are able to make it work, there will be a huge amount of pressure for the Big Ten and other conferences to play basketball.  

Heck, if high schools in the Big Ten footprint are able to have fall/winter sports, that adds some extra pressure as well.

Totally agree. The SEC and ACC, assuming they proceed, will be the “canaries in the coal mine”.
 If it works out I definitely think there will be basketball but if it does not work they obviously will not play. One of the major dilemma’s will be deciding what constitutes a successful football launch. I hope the stats/results are relatively conclusive (hopefully in a positive way) otherwise people will look at the same results but come to different conclusions.
Hoping for the best.

EDIT: In addition a vaccine will obviously be a game changer.

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Totally agree. The SEC and ACC, assuming they proceed, will be the “canaries in the coal mine”.
 If it works out I definitely think there will be basketball but if it does not work they obviously will not play. One of the major dilemma’s will be deciding what constitutes a successful football launch. I hope the stats/results are relatively conclusive (hopefully in a positive way) otherwise people will look at the same results but come to different conclusions.
Hoping for the best.

Crazy thing, is that the SEC school states have the most cases of it and deaths.  This only matters if you believe the reporting by the CDC is accurate

image.thumb.png.b5908cbe29c641eebabe3ab4c032cef4.png

image.thumb.png.b58679244d3f7254a9023433e38cfffe.png

30 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Crazy thing, is that the SEC school states have the most cases of it and deaths.  This only matters if you believe the reporting by the CDC is accurate

image.thumb.png.b5908cbe29c641eebabe3ab4c032cef4.png

image.thumb.png.b58679244d3f7254a9023433e38cfffe.png

It is obvious the only thing SEC cares about and the people down there cares about is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.  They will do whatever it takes to play because football is all they have down there and nothing else to hang onto.  It has been proven over the years that SEC teams are the most likely to cheat to win so it doesn't surprise me they are not going to cancel the season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29629945/baylor-takes-no-1-spot-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2020-21

Probably won't matter but saw this on ESPN.com top 25.  It shows us as being like 28 but they did have a lot of other big ten teams in there.  the one I really don't understand is OSU because i don't see them any better than 8th in the conference.

I think January start as some have said, likely BIG only schedule.  Man a vaccine would be amazing, but one thing to consider is not a lot of vaccines will be available from the start.  Not sure getting vaccines to college athletes will count as high priority.  For me it is but likely not to the rest of the world.  As someone who has a child that is a college athlete I really hope we see them able to play in winter/spring.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

They just cancelled the spectators for the Masters Tournament in Nov. I doubt we'll see any fans at BB games this year. If they play at all.

yes, Scott mentioned that on another thread....same thing for the Kentucky Derby. 

Key to me is that the competitions are still being held,, regardless of how sterile and bland the environment

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One thing we have to look at and that  if they go ahead and have some kind of BB season that the football people will be furious.

And they will....and that's why unless something changes between now and the winter we won't be having a hoops season. Now 2 things can change. First...obviously medicine....or secondly the universities set aside their angst about amateurism,etc....and bubble these kids up. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

And they will....and that's why unless something changes between now and the winter we won't be having a hoops season. Now 2 things can change. First...obviously medicine....or secondly the universities set aside their angst about amateurism,etc....and bubble these kids up. 

If there's a bubble should the players be allowed conjugal visits as Stephen A. Smith is arguing for?  

Archived