Big Ten basketball 2020 yes or no

IUB74

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think January start as some have said, likely BIG only schedule.  Man a vaccine would be amazing, but one thing to consider is not a lot of vaccines will be available from the start.  Not sure getting vaccines to college athletes will count as high priority.  For me it is but likely not to the rest of the world.  As someone who has a child that is a college athlete I really hope we see them able to play in winter/spring

They're ramping up production of the various vaccines now, so if/when things get approved, they will be ready to hit the ground running. My guess is that anyone willing to pay will be able to get one early. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

One thing we have to look at and that  if they go ahead and have some kind of BB season that the football people will be furious.

I didn't think they cancelled the football season, just postponed it to spring (at least for now). Which gives some "hope" to the football fans.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Smaller rosters gives basketball some hope over football I would think

Glad to see you back on here, hope you are doing well.  Also I agree and it would be easier for the big ten to have a bubble for basketball if they want to go that route.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think there is anyway that they can play a complete schedule in the spring.

I think you're right, but I can also see the B1G BB just doing conference games, with no "pre-conference" schedule. But then again, I'm using a little logic...where as the B1G rarely uses logic IMO. But that's just me.

20 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

They're ramping up production of the various vaccines now, so if/when things get approved, they will be ready to hit the ground running. My guess is that anyone willing to pay will be able to get one early. 

I don’t think that at all. Most hospitals are using things like social justice/ethics in determining which patients get certain scarce resources and allocating those resources to the “poor” over wealthier patients as a form of meeting this cause right now. It’s been interesting to read about how they try to make up for inequities by giving preferential treatment to them with some of these drug shortages.
Frontline workers will get it first and rightfully so. Those that work in healthcare and public service (cops, teachers, public mass transportation) will likely get it first. Probably military too as I think it is pretty common that the govt used the military as a Petri dish over the years. Then it will go to nursing homes and then doctor discretion. Meaning high risk adults with preexisting conditions (immune disorders, heart conditions, repertory, diabetes etc). The govt is paying for the vaccine....they will determine how it is distributed. I’m sure ultra rich and famous will get it just like they get lots of things from their doctors and I would be surprised if their aren’t media reports of the inequality from such things but overall it will be those most necessary first and the rest of us maybe next year....which is fine by me as hopefully it will get better with more research.

18 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Smaller rosters gives basketball some hope over football I would think

There is no hope.....

sorry I just wanted to see what it’s like to be a pessimist like so many in the media today...yeah it ain’t for me...it can be done no doubt...do the presidents have the intestinal fortitude (to be a little less crass) to accomplish it...that is another story.

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think that at all. Most hospitals are using things like social justice/ethics in determining which patients get certain scarce resources and allocating those resources to the “poor” over wealthier patients as a form of meeting this cause right now. It’s been interesting to read about how they try to make up for inequities by giving preferential treatment to them with some of these drug shortages.
Frontline workers will get it first and rightfully so. Those that work in healthcare and public service (cops, teachers, public mass transportation) will likely get it first. Probably military too as I think it is pretty common that the govt used the military as a Petri dish over the years. Then it will go to nursing homes and then doctor discretion. Meaning high risk adults with preexisting conditions (immune disorders, heart conditions, repertory, diabetes etc). The govt is paying for the vaccine....they will determine how it is distributed. I’m sure ultra rich and famous will get it just like they get lots of things from their doctors and I would be surprised if their aren’t media reports of the inequality from such things but overall it will be those most necessary first and the rest of us maybe next year....which is fine by me as hopefully it will get better with more research.

Despite your first sentence, I don't feel like you disagreed with me. 

I'll just add, individual countries have already secured their own contracts, I don't see why organizations (or associations in this case) won't do the same. Those groups had early access to testing as well. 

7 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Despite your first sentence, I don't feel like you disagreed with me. 

I'll just add, individual countries have already secured their own contracts, I don't see why organizations (or associations in this case) won't do the same. Those groups had early access to testing as well. 

Because the US govt is financing the first 100 million doses of production from all these pharmaceutical companies. Those will go to who the govt says. It will take much much longer before private companies will be able to purchase. Yes we agree because down the pecking order doctors will be left to distribute to their most at risk patients...that will get abused...but the government owns the vaccine and will use it as I explained. Start with first responders, those in health care, nursing homes, teachers people like that. What is left will go to doctors to vaccinate and those will/should be issued to high risk adults...not low risk young adults.

No B1G basketball in 2020.  Things are looking to be worse then compared to now.

Spring football is a non-starter which is sad for IU because this is one of our best teams in a long while.  Feel bad for the players on the other teams who will be unable to chase their dreams.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thanks for the link.

In terms of basketball, as opposed to football.... here is my thought, for what ever it is worth.  SOME basketball is better than NO basketball.  Wish my opinion would carry weight.

Continue to stay safe Scott.  You are constantly in my prayers.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the link.

In terms of basketball, as opposed to football.... here is my thought, for what ever it is worth.  SOME basketball is better than NO basketball.  Wish my opinion would carry weight.

Continue to stay safe Scott.  You are constantly in my prayers.

Thank you, tried to mow the yard today and it is still a struggle to get through it.

As for the basketball I still think we will have a season because it appears the NCAA will have more of a say when it comes to basketball.  It is easier to put college basketball in a bubble than it would be football so I think they will be able to do something.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Isn't that a bit premature?

Tons of things up in the air.... due to the pandemic.  However... currently the NCAA is looking at starting the basketball season in September.... with a thought about moving it to November.    Who knows what is right.... right now ?  Darned pandemic !

NCAA targets mid-September for decision on college basketball start

Stay safe.  And take care of little keet for me as well.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Tons of things up in the air.... due to the pandemic.  However... currently the NCAA is looking at starting the basketball season in September.... with a thought about moving it to November.    Who knows what is right.... right now ?  Darned pandemic !

NCAA targets mid-September for decision on college basketball start

Stay safe.  And take care of little keet for me as well.

The first day of the season is set for November 12th right now but in September they will decide if they need to move that date.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Doing good, just got back from my walk. Actually can't believe how cool it is today here in Indiana

Just the opposite, temperature wise in Denver.  Have had temps in the 90's for days.  Could hit 98 today. With no end in sight for at least another week.  And no rain, as the wildfires continue to rage.  Air quality from the fires is bad.  And just heard at least 24 people in have Arizona died due to the heat. 

Perhaps not  the  proper  subject matter for this thread.  But awfully happy to hear you are doing good.  Take care.  You continue to remain in my prayers.

Archived