Bubble Basketball

There was a report released today that the Big East and possibly other conferences are considering playing their basketball season in a bubble for both Men’s and Women’s basketball. I would assume the only way this works is to play a conference only schedule and then come tourney time you’ll still have regional bubbles. IMO I love this idea especially if it means we actually get a season. Thoughts?

Watching Andy Katz podcast and they Dan Gavit, Mitch Barnhart and Craig Robinson.  This topic is being discuss and they said it would be hard to do that for student athletes.  They said school is in session that those student athletes will be expected to go to class.  Once the kids leave for the semester then they could do a bubble.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching Andy Katz podcast and they Dan Gavit, Mitch Barnhart and Craig Robinson.  This topic is being discuss and they said it would be hard to do that for student athletes.  They said school is in session that those student athletes will be expected to go to class.  Once the kids leave for the semester then they could do a bubble.

Yeah I’m curious how it would work but I feel like they could work something out with online classes.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am thinking about how all of the expansion years ago could really hurt having conferences be in bubbles.  When you have W. Virginia in the big 12 it makes it harder have a bubble..  Just like the big ten with teams in Maryland and New Jersey.

Well they will all stay in the bubble until the season is over so I don’t think location matters that much personally.

15 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Well they will all stay in the bubble until the season is over so I don’t think location matters that much personally.

From what I heard in that podcast and other places I don't think it would be in one centralized location like the NBA.  They talked about coming together for a couple of weeks and play some games and then take a break.  I don't think you would bring all 14 teams together and play a whole season in one location.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

From what I heard in that podcast and other places I don't think it would be in one centralized location like the NBA.  They talked about coming together for a couple of weeks and play some games and then take a break.  I don't think you would bring all 14 teams together and play a whole season in one location.

Ohhh gotcha that is interesting. Thanks for the info!

From a student perspective this should be easy to do.  Most general course are available in some form at IU in online format, not to mention over 50% of the courses right now are hybrid/online.  Faculty should also have ways to deliver there course content online for students that get sick and cannot come to class or are at high risk.  I see no reason to not make these accommodations for basketball.  Keeping the players in a bubble while still going to class in some format should not be hard to do as they are already doing it when it comes to course delivery.

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I know some schools are ending the semester @ Thanksgiving for the fall semester. Maybe the plan is use the month of December for a bubble...

(Including Xavier in the big east)

i could see this working if all schools in the conference did this.  Then you skip the conference tournament and go straight to a bubble regional NCAA tourney

57 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

From a student perspective this should be easy to do.  Most general course are available in some form at IU in online format, not to mention over 50% of the courses right now are hybrid/online.  Faculty should also have ways to deliver there course content online for students that get sick and cannot come to class or are at high risk.  I see no reason to not make these accommodations for basketball.  Keeping the players in a bubble while still going to class in some format should not be hard to do as they are already doing it when it comes to course delivery.

my fear on this is that the although there is some hybrid, not all classes are this and not all professors are set up to do it for a full semester, they would just sail these players through instrad of doing the due diligence.  All classes would have to be streamed or recorded and then all quizes and test need to be proctor'd.  Would the NCAA investigate if grades were being given instead of earned.  

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i could see this working if all schools in the conference did this.  Then you skip the conference tournament and go straight to a bubble regional NCAA tourney

It could work pretty well. I just checked and IU is online only after T-break.... https://registrar.indiana.edu/official-calendar/official-calendar-fall.shtml and athletes always did their own things for finals. Not sure about other B1G schools.

4 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

It could work pretty well. I just checked and IU is online only after T-break.... https://registrar.indiana.edu/official-calendar/official-calendar-fall.shtml and athletes always did their own things for finals. Not sure about other B1G schools.

now if all schools did this, we could at least get a conference of games

30 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I know it is not Bloomington but my son goes to IUPUI and all of is classes are on line this semester.

57 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

my fear on this is that the although there is some hybrid, not all classes are this and not all professors are set up to do it for a full semester, they would just sail these players through instrad of doing the due diligence.  All classes would have to be streamed or recorded and then all quizes and test need to be proctor'd.  Would the NCAA investigate if grades were being given instead of earned.  

Most higher ed including IU has options to manage this.  Pretty easy to align processes and accreditation to what IU was already doing for online courses.  Also, while I know there are faculty who are not ready, pretty much every course and every faculty should have a plan for this irrelevant of basketball.  People will get sick, people will not be able to attend classes.  Tools like proctorio and alternate assessment can help.  And it’s way harder than me typing a few lines her but it’s being done and shouldn’t be hard to do as it needs to be done regardless.

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is not Bloomington but my son goes to IUPUI and all of is classes are on line this semester.

This IDS article has done the best job showing the current earning modes for fall IMO, they align with options across all of IU not just Bloomington:

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020/07/iu-releases-class-learning-modes-for-fall-2020-semester-on-igps-coronavirus-courses

The more generally courses you take that traditionally have large numbers in one room are already online.

3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This IDS article has done the best job showing the current earning modes for fall IMO, they align with options across all of IU not just Bloomington:

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020/07/iu-releases-class-learning-modes-for-fall-2020-semester-on-igps-coronavirus-courses

The more generally courses you take that traditionally have large numbers in one room are already online.

My son is try to get all of his classes on line since he had a 5 month old daughter.  He was able to do it for this semester but probably won't be able to do it every semester

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

See, this wouldn't work.  Once they leave, then you lose the bubble protection and then you're going to get infected people.  To me, its all in.  You sequester for 2 months, get your games over with and be done

Archived