President McRobbie to retire

39 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Surprised that I am the only one calling him out by name now that it is confirmed how he voted.  He might have very good reasons for his seemingly inconsistent views, but he owes the students and alumni base an explanation.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/reports-indiana-president-michael-mcrobbie-1-of-11-big-ten-leaders-that-voted-to-postpone-fall-sports/

This is a question, not a defense because I think he would've vote to shut things down regardless where it took place....but wasn't the testing that found the myocarditis (sp?) or at least the link to it that got everyone in more of an uproar done at IU?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Surprised that I am the only one calling him out by name now that it is confirmed how he voted.  He might have very good reasons for his seemingly inconsistent views, but he owes the students and alumni base an explanation.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/reports-indiana-president-michael-mcrobbie-1-of-11-big-ten-leaders-that-voted-to-postpone-fall-sports/

The almighty Mitch Daniels seems to have also voted the same?? 

36 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

This is a question, not a defense because I think he would've vote to shut things down regardless where it took place....but wasn't the testing that found the myocarditis (sp?) or at least the link to it that got everyone in more of an uproar done at IU?

I am not sure if that it is true.  If it is true, I am not aware of it. 

I know it was reported that there had been around 10 to 15 cases of myocarditis among Big Ten football players.  One of the more notable cases was IU freshman OL Brady Feeney.  His story went viral after his mom posted about his health challenges on Facebook.

I am not sure that there would have even been any testing to discover a link between myocarditis and COVID-19.  It was expected, because myocarditis is a potential byproduct of every infection in the human body.

33 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

The almighty Mitch Daniels seems to have also voted the same?? 

Correct.  Although each president surely had their own thought process, that kind of goes against any theory that politics are involved.  I just think Mitch and McRobbie and others should address the inconsistencies and hypocrisy in their decisions.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Scene from the Presidents' meeting

Pin on ♡ Face the World ☻

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I am not sure if that it is true.  If it is true, I am not aware of it. 

I know it was reported that there had been around 10 to 15 cases of myocarditis among Big Ten football players.  One of the more notable cases was IU freshman OL Brady Feeney.  His story went viral after his mom posted about his health challenges on Facebook.

I am not sure that there would have even been any testing to discover a link between myocarditis and COVID-19.  It was expected, because myocarditis is a potential byproduct of every infection in the human body.

Ok, my source was me thinking I heard it somewhere sometime so its not somebody I had a lot of faith in. 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

IDS has a scathing opinion piece on McRobbie. http://specials.idsnews.com/opinion-iu-mcrobbie-legacy-student-needs-harry-potter/

There’s a lot in this article. It’s written by kids and maybe they have a little growing still to do when it comes to journalism because there are some unreferenced general claims that could’ve been easily omitted and not detracted from their overall point. And at times, they seem to make it more about them than letting the information tell the story. Only say this because it almost detracted me as a reader, which is a shame because there’s a lot of good information dug up here. A lot of unachieved goals and unfulfilled promises made by McRobbie. And I don’t know much about the mold issue in McNutt, but learning that it was an on-going issued that they dragged their feet in resolving is unacceptable. 

On 8/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Damn #21 and they didn’t admit him? That’s crazy. Has IU been that way for awhile (large NY/NJ population)?

I definitely would’ve been bummed if I had been denied admission to Purdue. I was top 5% in my class in a class of 1,000 kids and only applied to IU and Purdue. I wonder how different it’d be today. 

There was a significant population from NY/NJ in the mid-late 90s when I was there, but it continued to grow. Early 2000s it was starting to get out of control.

Besides the increase in tuition, it also helps IU in the rankings b/c part of the rankings is based on starting salary, and those kids go back to NY/NJ and get higher paying jobs since cost of living is so much higher there. 

International students (mainly China) had a massive presence when I was there for recruiting around 2011-13.

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

IDS has a scathing opinion piece on McRobbie. http://specials.idsnews.com/opinion-iu-mcrobbie-legacy-student-needs-harry-potter/

There’s a lot in this article. It’s written by kids and maybe they have a little growing still to do when it comes to journalism because there are some unreferenced general claims that could’ve been easily omitted and not detracted from their overall point. And at times, they seem to make it more about them than letting the information tell the story. Only say this because it almost detracted me as a reader, which is a shame because there’s a lot of good information dug up here. A lot of unachieved goals and unfulfilled promises made by McRobbie. And I don’t know much about the mold issue in McNutt, but learning that it was an on-going issued that they dragged their feet in resolving is unacceptable. 

Scatthing report. Especially the part about NOT interacting with students.  I have posted on HSN before. As a student at IU... walking through the crescent.  And meeting Herman B. Wells.  Who asked how things were going with me. I felt a little uncomfortable at the time.  However Mr. Wells, asked me sit down with him. We had a fairly long conversation.  He wanted to know what it was for me to to be a student at IU.  And I could see his mind... taking notes.

Later Mr. Wells, and I crossed again.  He remembered me ! And asked me to sit down with him again, in the Wells house to talk more.  Said he had processed what I had told him earlier.  We did not talk as long at that time.  But he wished me well, when he left.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Scatthing report. Especially the part about NOT interacting with students.  I have posted on HSN before. As a student at IU... walking through the crescent.  And meeting Herman B. Wells.  Who asked how things were going with me. I felt a little uncomfortable at the time.  However Mr. Wells, asked me sit down with him. We had a fairly long conversation.  He wanted to know what it was for me to to be a student at IU.  And I could see his mind... taking notes.

Later Mr. Wells, and I crossed again.  He remembered me ! And asked me to sit down with him again, in the Well House to talk more.  Said he had processed what I had told him earlier.  We did not talk as long at that time.  But he wished me well, when he left.

Well House Traditions · IU Student Traditions · Indiana University Archives Exhibits

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree with the large point that McRobbie was an incompetent boob and presided over an overall decline in school quality and reputation, but some of their points/demands are silly and unrealistic.

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I pick up a professor all the time and McRobbie came out at the same time once. I asked him how was McRobbie to deal with. This professor said his office is 4 doors down and he has never spoke to the man the whole time he has been at IU. Thats all i needed to know about McRobbie.

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

I pick up a professor all the time and McRobbie came out at the same time once. I asked him how was McRobbie to deal with. This professor said his office is 4 doors down and he has never spoke to the man the whole time he has been at IU. Thats all i needed to know about McRobbie.

Probably because McRobbie was too busy recruiting students from the East Coast.  And helping to deny top students from Indiana schools..... as has been reported by great members of HSN.

Thanks for that contribution... by the way.

17 hours ago, Indykev said:

It’s well known that whenever there was an event around campus McRobbie would be protected by the red coats form interacting with anyone.  Think ushers at IU games with red blazers. It was the running joke that he had his own imperial guard if you will which in turn meant he only interacted with those he wanted to interact with.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I am so old that I  do remember having to do this in grade school.... nearly every month.  As if it would have saved us from a nuclear attack !  LOL

Same here! Did your desk have a hole in it to accept an inkwell like mine did? Also all of the desks were bolted in a row to two boards! Those were the days!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Same here! Did your desk have a hole in it to accept an inkwell like mine did? Also all of the desks were bolted in a row to two boards! Those were the days!

Ink wells. And the teacher passed out ink pens as well as well to fill the containers.  It was revolution, when the ball point pen came.  No longer for a need for the desks with ink wells.  But my school did not get rid of the desks with holes for ink wells.  I recall desks from grade school to high school with desks with holes for ink wells..... though there was no need for them, years after the ball point pin.

Hey.  Stay safe Drrough.

9 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

It’s well known that whenever there was an event around campus McRobbie would be protected by the red coats form interacting with anyone.  Think ushers at IU games with red blazers. It was the running joke that he had his own imperial guard if you will which in turn meant he only interacted with those he wanted to interact with.

I graduated back in the late 90's and have to say that McRobbie was one of the most innovative and gutsy Presidents since that time.  The only reason I know Myles Brand was the President at the time is because he fired Coach Knight.

McRobbie stengthened Computer Science, brought many new schools including .....engineeing and architecture....which was controversial.  IU will see the benefits of those foundations with national rankings, research dollars, etc.  

Just want to point that out and show a different perspective.

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Ink wells. And the teacher passed out ink pens as well as well to fill the containers.  It was revolution, when the ball point pen came.  No longer for a need for the desks with ink wells.  But my school did not get rid of the desks with holes for ink wells.  I recall desks from grade school to high school with desks with holes for ink wells..... though there was no need for them, years after the ball point pin.

Hey.  Stay safe Drrough.

There was a Nike military base located just a few miles from my house in what is now the Indiana Dunes National Park. It was intended to protect Chicago, not us locals in Chesterton! Got to tour it one time.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

There was a Nike military base located just a few miles from my house in what is now the Indiana Dunes National Park. It was intended to protect Chicago, not us locals in Chesterton! Got to tour it one time.

Yes true.  Shaking the cobwebs from my memory banks.  I think I recall seeing signs on the road pointing to the site.... with the words.... no admittance to unapproved personnel.

Thanks for that memory.  Something I would have not remembered, until your post.

Nike Missile Program at Indiana Dunes - PanoramaNOW Entertainment News

NIKE Missile Program 20180731 - Indiana Dunes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Archived