President McRobbie to retire

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

Mitch has been nothing short of outstanding for us. I wish he had been there when I was in school. 

I have no doubt he has been outstanding.  It's a simple math problem.  You have one empty seat in a classroom.  Student A pays $1000.00 to sit in that seat.  Student B pays $3000.00 to sit in the same seat.  As President, who are you going to put into that seat?  So now consider if Mitch had been there, when you were going to school, he may not have allowed you to be there.  In his opinion you'd have been better served at a satellite campus.  No big University experience for you.  Still feel the same?  My Son who finished #21 in his class was turned down by IUB.  As an alum, that pissed me off as when I'm in Bloomington I see and hear all of the kids from NY and NJ.  It's why as an alum, I've stopped donating to the University.  If they didn't want my money for my son's tuition, they are not getting any of it as a donation.  I think that any state funding for universities should be tied to the percentage of instate students enrolled.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I have no doubt he has been outstanding.  It's a simple math problem.  You have one empty seat in a classroom.  Student A pays $1000.00 to sit in that seat.  Student B pays $3000.00 to sit in the same seat.  As President, who are you going to put into that seat?  So now consider if Mitch had been there, when you were going to school, he may not have allowed you to be there.  In his opinion you'd have been better served at a satellite campus.  No big University experience for you.  Still feel the same?  My Son who finished #21 in his class was turned down by IUB.  As an alum, that pissed me off as when I'm in Bloomington I see and hear all of the kids from NY and NJ.  It's why as an alum, I've stopped donating to the University.  If they didn't want my money for my son's tuition, they are not getting any of it as a donation.  I think that any state funding for universities should be tied to the percentage of instate students enrolled.

Damn #21 and they didn’t admit him? That’s crazy. Has IU been that way for awhile (large NY/NJ population)?

I definitely would’ve been bummed if I had been denied admission to Purdue. I was top 5% in my class in a class of 1,000 kids and only applied to IU and Purdue. I wonder how different it’d be today. 

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Damn #21 and they didn’t admit him? That’s crazy. Has IU been that way for awhile (large NY/NJ population)?

I definitely would’ve been bummed if I had been denied admission to Purdue. I was top 5% in my class in a class of 1,000 kids and only applied to IU and Purdue. I wonder how different it’d be today. 

I was fortunate that my daughter was able to get into IU- Bloomington and I think she was 12th in her class.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was fortunate that my daughter was able to get into IU- Bloomington and I think she was 12th in her class.

Was a time.  Back in the dark ages.  If a person graduated from an Indiana high school. And you applied to IU. And you passed your qualifying exams.  You were admitted.  That was me.  And I was no where near the top of my high school class.  IU needs to get back to admitting Indiana kids, first. Like it was back in my day.  And then start considering out of state monies.  After all.  What is a state college for ?

Off my soap box. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time.  Back in the dark ages.  If a person graduated from an Indiana high school. And you applied to IU. And you passed your qualifying exams.  You were admitted.  That was me.  And I was no where near the top of my high school class.  IU needs to get back to admitting Indiana kids, first. Like it was back in my day.  And then start considering out of state monies.  After all.  What is a state college for ?

Off my soap box. 

I don't remember what her test scores were but I think they were pretty good.  Also I think the essay  she had to write on why she should get in and why she deserves the scholarship helped her.  Maybe some of my misfortune helped her in the long run where she came from a single parent who did not make a whole lot of money.

I know a lot of us don't really like DD but I do agree with him saying the downfall of IU is letting to many put of state people into IU.  In state kids know what IU means to this state and will take more pride in it.  I know sports should not be the most important thing when considering who gets into school but I think having so many out of state students hurts the fan base.  In state kids will grow up on IU sports and will be more inclined to come to the games than kids who did not grow up watching.

I agree that IU should lean more towards in-state students.  One last point and I will get off my soap box.  While my son did not get into IUB, he was admitted to IUS and if you held my hand to the flame, I'd tell you that while I got a better college experience, he got the better education.  He has developed relationships with professors who have mentored him and helped open doors for him along his chosen path.  I'm not sure any of my professors even knew my name.  

On 8/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Muddy River said:

I was a Mitch fan as governor, but not so much as a college president.  Mitch basically said the main campus at West Lafayette should  be for out of state students, and that instate students have the satellite campuses.  I know IU is doing the same thing without outwardly saying it, but I have a big problem with it.  I'd really like to see a president who puts a premium on instate students, but I know that will not happen, as cash is king.  I will also say it scares me a little that I had to get to the 7th post in this thread before someone mentioned academics.

Good point made here.

Ball State even made public their plans to more actively recruit students from the wealthy suburbs of New York and New Jersey within the last few years. That really annoys me. 

9 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I agree that IU should lean more towards in-state students.  One last point and I will get off my soap box.  While my son did not get into IUB, he was admitted to IUS and if you held my hand to the flame, I'd tell you that while I got a better college experience, he got the better education.  He has developed relationships with professors who have mentored him and helped open doors for him along his chosen path.  I'm not sure any of my professors even knew my name.  

I went to IU East but the education I got there does not compare to what my daughter got at IU-Bloomington.  Most of my teachers were not full time professors but were just adjuncts from the business world.

7 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm not sure any of my professors even knew my name.  

I hear you there.  I think it was a class I had in Ballantine Hall. Not a chemistry class. But held in a chemistry room. Believe there were upwards of 700 students in the class. Could be wrong on the numbers as it was so long ago. However, every seat was filled.  The prof would lecture standing on top of the lab table.  And when I tried to get to see him.... all I got was an assistant.  He had too many students to sit down with them all.  Oh, yeah... he personally never graded any of our tests.  All we got was a grade. No comments from the prof. 

After saying that.... I loved my time as a student at IU. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I went to IU East but the education I got there does not compare to what my daughter got at IU-Bloomington.  Most of my teachers were not full time professors but were just adjuncts from the business world.

So most of your professors were people with real world experience and an applied understanding of how things work.  Many of mine in Bloomington were academics who had lived their whole life in academia and had little to no real world experience.  There is a reason for the saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach"

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So most of your professors were people with real world experience and an applied understanding of how things work.  Many of mine in Bloomington were academics who had lived their whole life in academia and had little to no real world experience.  There is a reason for the saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach"

They had the knowledge but not the ability to teach it.

Going on 20 years ago but I was accepted to IU Southeast but went to Indiana Wesleyan a year.  Left and joined the Army National Guard.  Came home and had direct admission into Bloomington because I was accepted at IUS and had one successful year of college experience.  Not sure if that would apply nowadays.  Only problem, all those great friends you make in the dorm and pal up to get an off campus house had established relationships that I left in Marion.  I quickly realized that I missed my posse and hit the Greek week.  Settled with the house pounding Hells Bells, throwing football, and drinking screw drivers at 8 am.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Going on 20 years ago but I was accepted to IU Southeast but went to Indiana Wesleyan a year.  Left and joined the Army National Guard.  Came home and had direct admission into Bloomington because I was accepted at IUS and had one successful year of college experience.  Not sure if that would apply nowadays.  Only problem, all those great friends you make in the dorm and pal up to get an off campus house had established relationships that I left in Marion.  I quickly realized that I missed my posse and hit the Greek week.  Settled with the house pounding Hells Bells, throwing football, and drinking screw drivers at 8 am.  

This IU grad. Who enrolled in the Army during the Viet Nam Conflict, after graduating from IU. Because I felt it was an obligation to serve. And   had an IU friend who actually shot a toe off to avoid being inducted into the Army....thanks you for your service.    Bless you. And stay safe.

So I take back what I said earlier.  Hearing the search is on and it feels like they will bring someone from the outside.  Also hearing they want someone who they feel is best prepared to navigate the university through some lean times.  So those of you wanting a Mitch like president may get your wish.  Operational streamlining and efficiency very important now and the years to come.

3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

So I take back what I said earlier.  Hearing the search is on and it feels like they will bring someone from the outside.  Also hearing they want someone who they feel is best prepared to navigate the university through some lean times.  So those of you wanting a Mitch like president may get your wish.  Operational streamlining and efficiency very important now and the years to come.

Thank you for the info and probably would be best to bring someone from the outside.  It is sometimes best to have a new voice and a new outlook on things.  I know for a president of a University sports shouldn't be a the biggest priority but I hope they the president will let the AD use  all of his resources.

12 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Well, that sure wasn't McRobbie.

26 minutes ago, Sark said:

The plan for a comprehensive search was communicated some time ago by the Trustees, and it will be executed as it was designed. There was never going to be an internal ascension that would be achieved in short order. I’m not sure a Mitch-like candidate will surface, as he’s a pretty unique individual, but some of the qualities and priorities he possesses will be of great interest to the Trustees. But there’s a balance that must be struck with the faculty, who’ve always wielded considerable influence at IU. If there’s a murmur of discontent at Purdue with MD, it’s among the faculty, and they’ve never been as openly defiant of the PU administration as some of IU’s have historically been toward the IUB administration. Expect a diverse set of candidates, but finding the next Mitch, while something that I know some of the Trustees would like to do, is easier said than done and far less of a consensus approach among the BOT than you might believe.

Oh I agree, while some will promote what Mitch did with Purdue online it was not received by the faculty up their very well.  I think you are spot on that someone with Mitch qualities will be highly looked at, but not a Mitch clone.  I honestly suspected someone from within but I was reading things wrong.  I don’t always take the Trustees at their word they would do a full search with Covid.

Unfortunately Mitch’s don’t grow on trees, so I don’t see anyone on that level.  He proves you don’t need to have the ivory tower academic background where you’re insulated from the real world.  He’s a strategy guy and that’s a lost cause at IU.  The university has layers and layers of bloat that can be addressed.  I don’t think the Board has the wherewithal or strategic insight to land someone with high upside.  

On 8/16/2020 at 2:46 PM, IU Scott said:

You’d be surprised how much better real world experience can be when learning. I’d say two of my favorite/best professors had over 20 years each in real world experience. Many times they sat the text book aside after covering a “theory” and said ok...no let me tell you what the real world does. One who had been an HR manager for several companies gave so many better real life examples and so many topics to chew on from his experiences it was invaluable.

As for the price of tuition and what is going on in college academics today...could spend a year and thousands of pages discussing it. Not only do we have too many kids that don’t belong in college...many who should be in trade schools etc but we don’t have room and creating less supply educating the rest of the world and especially China who then not only takes the education back home and steal American jobs but they also steal American university research as well and sends it back to China. We are totally getting ripped off and our kids are having to pay for an education made way way more expensive then it should be.

56 minutes ago, Sark said:

I think most of the Trustees would take Mitch in a heartbeat and a few of them are regretful they didn’t think of him first, particularly with his IU connection. But I think the Bloomington faculty would've gone A bomb crazy if he’d have been their choice, and they’re (the faculty) on their toes if someone like him is seriously considered. 

It will be a far lefty with little to no real world experience.  I'd be shocked otherwise.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Unfortunately Mitch’s don’t grow on trees, so I don’t see anyone on that level.  He proves you don’t need to have the ivory tower academic background where you’re insulated from the real world.  He’s a strategy guy and that’s a lost cause at IU.  The university has layers and layers of bloat that can be addressed.  I don’t think the Board has the wherewithal or strategic insight to land someone with high upside.  

So much truth here.  The value of an IU education is still solid, especially in Indiana, but the days of coasting supplemented by fat broadcast contracts is likely over at least for awhile.  If something isn't done soon to reverse the bloat, inefficiency and incompetence at the top, I see a perception (if not reality) of diminished value.

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So much truth here.  The value of an IU education is still solid, especially in Indiana, but the days of coasting supplemented by fat broadcast contracts is likely over at least for awhile.  If something isn't done soon to reverse the bloat, inefficiency and incompetence at the top, I see a perception (if not reality) of diminished value.

Thing is the right person can come in and easily trim a lot of the bloat.  It won’t be hard to figure out areas that can be streamlined and made more cost efficient, if not cut completely.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I hope @The Daily Hoosier continues to expose McRobbie. June cannot come soon enough. 

Surprised that I am the only one calling him out by name now that it is confirmed how he voted.  He might have very good reasons for his seemingly inconsistent views, but he owes the students and alumni base an explanation.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/reports-indiana-president-michael-mcrobbie-1-of-11-big-ten-leaders-that-voted-to-postpone-fall-sports/

Archived