Anyone hearing of a commitment soon...

68Hoosier

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not trying to be snarky but give me the ones that want to be here.

That is kind of where I am at.  I know it is not fair, but when the in state kids kind of drag things out, it annoys me.  All of those guys are good players, I will take any of them that want to be here.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is kind of where I am at.  I know it is not fair, but when the in state kids kind of drag things out, it annoys me.  All of those guys are good players, I will take any of them that want to be here.

I agree with the premise of taking who wants to be here. But to say any of them is dragging this out seems unfair.

These kids are making life determining decisions, during a pandemic.

They should do whatever they want to ensure they are comfortable with a final decision. 

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

But to say any of them is dragging this out seems unfair.

I know, I literally said that. 😋

However, I will say that I think the whole, "they are making life determining decisions" thing is a bit overplayed.  Millions of kids their age make the decision on where to go in less time every year.  Let's be real, most of them like getting their butt kissed and the ridiculous royal treatment they get because they can put a ball in a hoop.

And yes, I am aware that people like me are a big contributor to that. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think we're about as high of a percentage of getting top IN kids, as we ever have been. 

Agreed, but it just doesn't feel like it used to when kids would come right out and say I want to be at IU.  Maybe I am old and not remembering correctly but it just feels different.  I know winning has a lot to do with that.  

2 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Agreed, but it just doesn't feel like it used to when kids would come right out and say I want to be at IU.  Maybe I am old and not remembering correctly but it just feels different.  I know winning has a lot to do with that.  

Ton to do with it. 

37 minutes ago, Sark said:

It is a big decision and, given the options in front of them, they’d be crazy to commit before they’re ready. Not sure why that’s difficult for some, or why acknowledging the fact that it is “life determining” is so difficult.

It is no more life determining than any other student who chooses what school to go to was my point.

I firmly believe the main difference on the timing of the decisions is that most students don't get 5 all expenses paid trips to visit different schools, don't have idiots like us waiting with baited breath about what shirt they wore today and how that may show where they are leaning, and don't have people hitting us up on Twitter, etc.  

I lay money that if you removed all of that stuff from the equation, the decisions would be made earlier.  How do I glean this?  Because the committal time of the top recruits has dragged later and later as the rise of stuff like that came into play.

It is like dating, many of these dudes like being chased.

41 minutes ago, Sark said:

It is different. Kids have more options, and kids and their parents are far more inclined to explore those options. If I was in their spot, I wouldn’t hesitate to seek out every opportunity and explore it thoroughly before deciding.

Horse hockey.  The number of options has not changed one bit.  Was there suddenly an explosion of new Universities available now that were not options in the 80's and 90's?  In the case of Kauffman: Indiana, Purdue, Virginia, and North Carolina just suddenly joined D1 basketball?  Those schools did not recruit kids like him in the 80's and 90's?

Nah man, the main thing that changed is branding (getting all of those Twitter followers hanging around for your top 8 and junk like that builds your "brand"), the internet, and the subsequent cottage industry built up around reading the tea leaves about where a kid is going.  That level of attention was not there in the 90's so there was not as much incentive to keep the process going.

I know you will have a contrarian position, it is kind of what you do around here, but you are never going to convince me that things are soooooo much harder when it comes to picking a school now as opposed to then, or for a basketball and football athlete as opposed to any other student (including student athletes in the non revenue generating sports who don't drag things out as long either.).

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Horse hockey.  The number of options has not changed one bit.  Was there suddenly an explosion of new Universities available now that were not options in the 80's and 90's?  In the case of Kauffman: Indiana, Purdue, Virginia, and North Carolina just suddenly joined D1 basketball?  Those schools did not recruit kids like him in the 80's and 90's?

Nah man, the main thing that changed is branding (getting all of those Twitter followers hanging around for your top 8 and junk like that builds your "brand"), the internet, and the subsequent cottage industry built up around reading the tea leaves about where a kid is going.  That level of attention was not there in the 90's so there was not as much incentive to keep the process going.

I know you will have a contrarian position, it is kind of what you do around here, but you are never going to convince me that things are soooooo much harder when it comes to picking a school now as opposed to then, or for a basketball and football athlete as opposed to any other student (including student athletes in the non revenue generating sports who don't drag things out as long either.).

I don't disagree with much of this, but to be fair, the growth of AAU basketball has also arguably made recruiting a more nationwide process. In the olden days, it was harder for coaches to get out on the road to see a prospect living halfway across the country play.

Archived