Anyone hearing of a commitment soon...

68Hoosier

18 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't disagree with much of this, but to be fair, the growth of AAU basketball has also arguably made recruiting a more nationwide process. In the olden days, it was harder for coaches to get out on the 'sad to see a prospect living halfway across the country play.

Also once ESPN came in the 80's it put a lot more teams on TV nationally so it made it easier for kids to look elsewhere.  Before kids here in Indiana could  see IU/PU locally on channel 4 and might get to see a couple of games on the weekend on NBC.  Now a kid knows even if he goes across country their family can watch about every game they play.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't disagree with much of this, but to be fair, the growth of AAU basketball has also arguably made recruiting a more nationwide process. In the olden days, it was harder for coaches to get out on the road to see a prospect living halfway across the country play.

AAU leads to more kids thinking that they might have a future playing the sport professionally somewhere.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Horse hockey ?  Have not heard that term for years.  Love it.  Euphemism for B.S.

Thanks for being a member.  And stay safe during this pandemic. 

Tried to keep it clean to follow the board rules. 

Hope you and yours stay safe as well Mile.

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Horse hockey.  The number of options has not changed one bit.  Was there suddenly an explosion of new Universities available now that were not options in the 80's and 90's?  In the case of Kauffman: Indiana, Purdue, Virginia, and North Carolina just suddenly joined D1 basketball?  Those schools did not recruit kids like him in the 80's and 90's?

Nah man, the main thing that changed is branding (getting all of those Twitter followers hanging around for your top 8 and junk like that builds your "brand"), the internet, and the subsequent cottage industry built up around reading the tea leaves about where a kid is going.  That level of attention was not there in the 90's so there was not as much incentive to keep the process going.

I know you will have a contrarian position, it is kind of what you do around here, but you are never going to convince me that things are soooooo much harder when it comes to picking a school now as opposed to then, or for a basketball and football athlete as opposed to any other student (including student athletes in the non revenue generating sports who don't drag things out as long either.).

I’d tend to agree with a lot of this. The thing is coaches can drag these things out too by waiting to offer much later as well. It’s just the nature of the business. I mean look at Geronimo he blew up late last summer so some kids develop a little later. I think the main issue this year is Covid. Kids can’t take their visits so that is delaying stuff...I mean I didn’t make my college decision until spring of my senior year...and only after taking trips to my top 3 schools and after seeing all the scholarship offers I got. So if anything a normal kid might even make his decision later than a ball player who isn’t even started his senior year of school and in this case hasn’t visited a majority of his offers. I’d say cut them some slack. It’s a lot more complicated than who has the best business school and which campus I like best.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Tried to keep it clean to follow the board rules. 

Hope you and yours stay safe as well Mile.

Well. I was the one who wrote the board rules.. Years back.  Thanks to all the other mods at the time for adopting them. And to Hoosier Faithful for posting them in the Animal House on HSN 3.0/

And thanks to you for adhering to our board rules. Once again.... stay safe.  And stay healthy.

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't disagree with much of this, but to be fair, the growth of AAU basketball has also arguably made recruiting a more nationwide process. In the olden days, it was harder for coaches to get out on the road to see a prospect living halfway across the country play.

I agree for the 80's but by the late 90's that was the case too.  It just seems to creep a little later year by year.

Also, I was more talking about big name recruits as well, coaches knew about guys like Eric Montross.  He ended up in North Carolina.

I mean, it kind of is the way things are done now, but I don't believe that most of these kids are sitting around agonizing over decisions.  You only see this type of stuff in football and men's b-ball and I believe that is because nobody cares when Suzy Setter and Henry Homerun commit to the volleyball and baseball teams.  And those kids are all facing the same kind of decision.  Committing to an academic institution, committing to a coach...heck, for the high end kids in basketball, they are usually only around for 2 years at most, they are making less of a decision about academics and coach fit then Suzy and Henry are.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d tend to agree with a lot of this. The thing is coaches can drag these things out too by waiting to offer much later as well. It’s just the nature of the business. I mean look at Geronimo he blew up late last summer so some kids develop a little later. I think the main issue this year is Covid. Kids can’t take their visits so that is delaying stuff...I mean I didn’t make my college decision until spring of my senior year...and only after taking trips to my top 3 schools and after seeing all the scholarship offers I got. So if anything a normal kid might even make his decision later than a ball player who isn’t even started his senior year of school and in this case hasn’t visited a majority of his offers. I’d say cut them some slack. It’s a lot more complicated than who has the best business school and which campus I like best.

I already admitted I was not being fair.

When all said and done, it is just a bunch of kids playing a game anyway.

51 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I already admitted I was not being fair.

When all said and done, it is just a bunch of kids playing a game anyway.

I understand...just saying just because we don’t pay attention to when a volleyball player commits or lacrosse etc doesn’t mean they are doing it any faster than the basketball kids. Someone will correct me I’m sure but most of these kids all commit to school in the same time frame...entering their senior year. You only see the football kids and basketball kids stuff because it makes news...and yes they promote it themselves some more than others because of their Twitter following etc but these kids time frames are much the same as any other kids for the most part. Sure there are outliers that commit much sooner..we just don’t follow the timelines of those other kids but they wait and play the internet stuff too. With Covid I think they just can’t visit and that slows down the process for some and others without summer ball didn’t get the attention from maybe schools they want to be courted by. When the music stops they all will grab a chair...it’s a moot point regardless. 

9 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

Agreed, but it just doesn't feel like it used to when kids would come right out and say I want to be at IU.  Maybe I am old and not remembering correctly but it just feels different.  I know winning has a lot to do with that.  

Well back in the day when we were @ IU, there wasn't any internet, no instant news, hell I didn't even know who we were recruiting at all back then. Different world now. Everything is under a microscope.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Well back in the day when we were @ IU, there wasn't any internet, no instant news, hell I didn't even know who we were recruiting at all back then. Different world now. Everything is under a microscope.

Even in the late 80's recruiting news was not really out there.  I remember the day I found out who was in our great 89 class was reading an article in the Star the day after signing day.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Even in the late 80's recruiting news was not really out there.  I remember the day I found out who was in our great 89 class was reading an article in the Star the day after signing day.

There was the print version of Inside Indiana that I remember and it did not come out daily, that's for sure. 

Like I said, I am being a little unfair and I was upfront about that.  However, I do feel the thrill of being chased plays a part.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There was the print version of Inside Indiana that I remember and it did not come out daily, that's for sure. 

Like I said, I am being a little unfair and I was upfront about that.  However, I do feel the thrill of being chased plays a part.

I started getting Inside Indiana in the 90's

Archived