Favorite Pasta

Drroogh

This is getting into borderline pasta territory, but I think it still qualifies. My grandmother was 100% ethnic Lithuanian (parents were immigrants) and while thats where a majority of her cooking originated from, she picked up how to make pierogis from a Polish family friend. And sweet Lord almighty....absolute concrete in your stomach, but succulent meat and dumpling heaven going down. 

That was seriously a meal where skipping breakfast the next day was more than possible. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is getting into borderline pasta territory, but I think it still qualifies. My grandmother was 100% ethnic Lithuanian (parents were immigrants) and while thats where a majority of her cooking originated from, she picked up how to make pierogis from a Polish family friend. And sweet Lord almighty....absolute concrete in your stomach, but succulent meat and dumpling heaven going down. 

That was seriously a meal where skipping breakfast the next day was more than possible. 

Had an aunt who used to make pierogis all the time.  She flew out to Colorado one year to show Mrs. mile how to make them.  All kinds of different fillings. But my favorite was/is cheese. My aunt used farmer's cheese... which is next to impossible to find in our local grocery stores.  Don't forget to fry them in melted butter.

Polish Pierogi - Potato & Cheese Pierogi - See how to make piroshki. 

On 12/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, Zlinedavid said:

I approve. Perogies are delicious and qualify as pasta. At least to me.

But please cover them in sauteed garlic, onions, and baked with butter and cheese. And add bacon because why not. Or even better pancetta!

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I approve. Perogies are delicious and qualify as pasta. At least to me.

But please cover them in sauteed garlic, onions, and baked with butter and cheese. And add bacon because why not. Or even better pancetta!

We always topped our perogies with sour cream. 

On 12/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, milehiiu said:

We always topped our perogies with sour cream. 

Same. Plus a deluge of butter....and not that artificial &#$+ that comes in a tub either. 

Oy.....I feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. 

Oh, in terms of the farmer's cheese, my grandma made a variation with ricotta. May be a viable enough alternative. 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, Drroogh said:

I don’t think I’ve seen anybody mention good old Chicken and Dumplings!

Again, borderline "pasta" but hell....it's boiled dough, qualifies for me. 

And yes, either chicken and homemade noodles or dumplings.....simple goodness on a cold winter day. 

46 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Same. Plus a deluge of butter....and not that artificial &#$+ that comes in a tub either. 

Oy.....I feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. 

Oh, in terms of the farmer's cheese, my grandma made a variation with ricotta. May be a viable enough alternative. 

As far as farmer's cheese.  Used to have a Polish deli that had it. Was a little drive from our house. Sadly... they closed their doors for good due to the pandemic.  Mrs mile says there is a deli closer to our house that has farmers cheese...... but not all the time. Call ahead.

Yes we do ours in butter.... then top with sour cream.  Ummmm .

Not a big pasta fan. I have been making Cornish Pasties lately. I got hooked on them we were up in the Upper Peninsula for two weeks camping. Just happened to stop by Muldoon's in Munising, Michigan and I was in heaven. Meat, potatoes, onions, rutabaga and carrots enclosed in a homemade crust. Throw in a some brown gravy and enjoy. 

22 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Not a big pasta fan. I have been making Cornish Pasties lately. I got hooked on them we were up in the Upper Peninsula for two weeks camping. Just happened to stop by Muldoon's in Munising, Michigan and I was in heaven. Meat, potatoes, onions, rutabaga and carrots enclosed in a homemade crust. Throw in a some brown gravy and enjoy. 

That sounds amazing. I need to try these.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Oh man, yes! I love pierogis. Have you ever had fried pierogis? Talk about concrete, but tasty!!

“So... a few days back. I chose to order some Lou Malnati's deep dish and Italian beef from Chicago”

mile, shouldn’t that have gone into one of the 2-3 pizza threads out there? JK actually I’m glad you resurrected this thread! Made me go back through and realized I didn’t respond to mrflynns post.

“Anyone ever made their own pasta from scratch? “

Never had the dough recipe, but helped my Ex’s grandmother make noodles many times doing the physical work of rolling and feeding the dough thru the hand crank pasta maker! The difference in her noodles was she boiled them in chicken broth! Delicious!

• 3 months later...

Archived