Updated 2020-21 Roster

3 hours ago, IUskim said:

Ha. I like what you did there. Although the guy who is the winter soldier is named Sebastian Stan. I’d say just let him go free with the arm if you get hit with it that’s on you. 

DANGIT!!!!!   I knew that and cant believe i missed it!!  PUN fail 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️  

And ive been on the recieving end of a Zeller elbow (Luke not Cody) and I'm pretty sure it can do more damage than that metal arm. 🤕

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well for starters, Duke. I know I've seen no more than 10 scholarship players on their roster. I haven't looked but I'll bet Kentucky doesn't carry 13 either.

The Dukes and UKs of the world have the luxury of being able to land 5 star impact players every year though.  Maybe one day we are on that level but until then we need to develop 4 year players that can be roll players by their junior/senior years.   I'm not saying every scholarship every year needs filled.  We don't need just warm bodies but when the injury bug hits(like 2 seasons ago) it sure is nice having a player(other than a walkon) as a back up.

Fyi... Duke and UK are both sitting on 12 scholarship rides this coming season.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

19 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The Dukes and UKs of the world have the luxury of being able to land 5 star impact players every year though.  Maybe one day we are on that level but until then we need to develop 4 year players that can be roll players by their junior/senior years.   I'm not saying every scholarship every year needs filled.  We don't need just warm bodies but when the injury bug hits(like 2 seasons ago) it sure is nice having a player(other than a walkon) as a back up.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I would rather leave it open for a mid year transfer or a high school kid graduating early.  I would leave it open before having guys like Priller and the long list of guys that Crean brought in.

44 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

That's actually more than they have carried in the past, or at least more than Duke has carried.  I admittedly haven't really looked at UK in that regard and was just guessing.  I get your point about having the extra kids to account for injuries.  The problem I see is that the kids that are good enough to fill those roles effectively have no desire to be the 12th and 13th guys in the rotation and I can't say I blame them.  By default (if you expect them to stay and embrace their role), when you get to that end of the bench, you often aren't far from walk-on level talent anyway so I don't see a huge incremental benefit in filling the last 1-2 scholarships if you also have 4-5 pretty solid walk-ons.

The added benefit is IU no longer has to face the Turdue fans jeering about creaning players to make room for the shiny new recruit.  When IU is carrying 11 scholarship players, by default, there is no creaning.  I liked CTC, but I hated the oversign with a passion.  This approach suits me a lot better and I believe it is a rare year indeed where the 12th or 13th player makes any meaningful difference.  If the 12th or 13th scholarship is used, I want to see it reserved for an impact player who's going to push everyone else for minutes...JMO.

I think keeping 1 scholly available each season would be perfect. I don't really like having 2 going unused but I don't think that was Archie's game plan for this season, it just happened that way due to not finding a good grad transfer that fit and losing Justin. I doubt keeping 2 open will be a trend that continues. 

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather leave it open for a mid year transfer or a high school kid graduating early.  I would leave it open before having guys like Priller and the long list of guys that Crean brought in.

I totally get wanting to leave a scholly open for a late add.  But we are leaving 2 on the table again for the second year in a row.   That's a missed opportunity of developing a player that may help down the road.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

I totally get wanting to leave a scholly open for a late add.  But we are leaving 2 on the table again for the second year in a row.   That's a missed opportunity of developing a player that may help down the road.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

I just think we need to get use to this because this is how Archie wants to run the program.  Also the kids today are not going to be patient and wait until they are juniors to get into the rotation.  We see so many guys today that after their freshman year leave  because they did not play much their first year.  Maybe Leal and Galloway will but I bet if they don't see significant time  they are sophomores they would leave as well.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think we need to get use to this because this is how Archie wants to run the program.  Also the kids today are not going to be patient and wait until they are juniors to get into the rotation.  We see so many guys today that after their freshman year leave  because they did not play much their first year.  Maybe Leal and Galloway will but I bet if they don't see significant time  they are sophomores they would leave as well.

Maybe.  Although if Justin and Damezi hadn't transferred we would be full so...

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not fair to transfer guys out before they even play a college game.  Especially local kids.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

Not fair to transfer guys out before they even play a college game.  Especially local kids.  

Where did I say they would transfer but stating that they could if they don't get the playing time.  I think both will get enough time their freshman and sophomore year that they will be satisfied and stays

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When was the last time we had a mid season transfer into the program?  I get not filling them all, but we've carried 2 open scholarships for 2 season now.  Why can't we at least fill one of them.  Go after a grad transfer or take a shot on a kid which still leaves one open for a just in case situation.

I would guess that Archie probably looked at some grad transfers and maybe couldn't find the right fit.  Grad transfers might look at our roster and don't see much playing time so they not going to waste their final season cutting on the bench.

My idea situation is having 12 players on the roster and have 3 Kids in each class but it is not very realistic in today's culture.

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anybody see the before summer and after summer picture of Anthony Leal? dude's looking like he's getting ready to play wolverine

image.thumb.png.d621043cfd816c71e466ed7f9e4b3ede.png

He'd be a big ass Wolverine!!!  Isn't he like 6'5"?  Wolverine is actually only about 5'5".  But ya, this is what I like to see...taking basketball players and making them more athletic rather than taking athletes and trying to teach them how to play basketball.  Now to see how it translates to the court. 

Come on guys...really?!?

The after picture is an obvious photo shop. The proportion of the head to the body is off big time. Plus lots more, and darker hair.

Maybe I missed the obvious joke, but if the above is a serious post, even an old fart like me isn't buying it.

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Come on guys...really?!?

The after picture is an obvious photo shop. The proportion of the head to the body is off big time. Plus lots more, and darker hair.

Maybe I missed the obvious joke, but if the above is a serious post, even an old fart like me isn't buying it.

I don't think it's photoshopped but I also don't think the difference is likely as drastic as shown. There are ways to manipulate before and after photos without Photoshop. 

Before is likely right when he got on campus and before a workout. He's just standing there and not flexing.

After is recent with a few months of working with the staff on weight training and nutrition. So there is bound to be a difference like a lower percentage of body fat which we see and maybe a bit stronger. However, to make the change look more dramatic it appears the second photo was after a workout where his muscles are already swollen. On top of that he's obviously flexing which would make them look even larger and changes the angle at which his arm muscles are viewed. A harsher light is also used which creates more shadows to heighten the effect.

So the difference probably isn't quite as impressive as it appears in the photos but it's probably still noticeable and a pretty good gain by him.

Each year we get these before and after pics along with some highlight reel videos from practice. As much as I appreciate the insights into what is going on, I'm somewhat jaded at this point. Credit to the kids for putting in the work to build their body and prepare for the season. Fact is, I'm looking forward to Leal's form on his jump shot and much less about his form in a picture.

Over the years I've seen everything from Hanner Perea touching the ceiling during a dunk, to five or six different guys showing off a 40 inch vertical measurement, and Evan Fitzner knocking down 157 straight threes in a practice. Am I exaggerating? Sure. But we've all seen those highlights and not one of them mattered in a real game. 

I'm over the hype. It's about wins and losses.

21 minutes ago, DWB said:

Come on guys...really?!?

I 100% know for fact this isn't photo shopped.  Do they have the first picture look like they are weak and scranny, with shoulders back and impossible to see arms?  Yes.  For sure.  Then they close up, puff out, rotate forward, better lighting, baby oil lol.  This may have been a picture from before his sophomore year of high school for all we know.  All I know now is that kid can guard in the b1g and not get dominated.  

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think it's photoshopped but I also don't think the difference is likely as drastic as shown. There are ways to manipulate before and after photos without Photoshop. 

Before is likely right when he got on campus and before a workout. He's just standing there and not flexing.

After is recent with a few months of working with the staff on weight training and nutrition. So there is bound to be a difference like a lower percentage of body fat which we see and maybe a bit stronger. However, to make the change look more dramatic it appears the second photo was after a workout where his muscles are already swollen. On top of that he's obviously flexing which would make them look even larger and changes the angle at which his arm muscles are viewed. A harsher light is also used which creates more shadows to heighten the effect.

So the difference probably isn't quite as impressive as it appears in the photos but it's probably still noticeable and a pretty good gain by him.

This is mostly correct. The newest picture he just got done working out and he still has a pump going. He's also got more of a tan and has either been oiled up like a body buikder or is just really sweaty. Either way those things will make you appear to be bigger than you are normally.

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Come on guys...really?!?

He might have gained some muscle but he is not flexed in the first one and flexing hard with his shoulders rolled forward which also turns his arms more sideways along with some oil or something to help highlight his proportions.  I am not saying he didn't gain some muscle.  But he didn't gain 20 lbs of muscle in several months of working out.

4 hours ago, DWB said:

Come on guys...really?!?

Photoshop was my thought. But I did not want to post it.  Glad that you did.  Look at the hair on the chest... and legs... before and after.

Archived