Most defining moments in American history.

rico

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Certainly was a defining moment in my life.  I did a daily news show on my high school radio station. It was rip an read off a teletype.   And I was allowed to leave study hall to prepare and do the show.  One day (Nov.22) the study hall teacher comes up to me and tells me to get down to station, well before the normal time.  I get there and the teacher/station manager tells me that President Kennedy has been shot.  Get on right now !   As I am reading.... the teacher/station manager hands me a fresh teletype.  I read it on the air.... not knowing what it was about.  Kennedy was dead !

I had just turned six and remember our first grade class was coming from lunch or recess. My Mom worked in the school cafeteria, and I saw her leaning up against a wall, one foot on the ground, and one on the wall, crying. I broke out of line and asked her what was wrong. "They shot the president."

Not many indelible images from that long ago in my childhood, but that's damn sure one...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I had just turned six and remember our first grade class was coming from lunch or recess. My Mom worked in the school cafeteria, and I saw her leaning up against a wall, one foot on the ground, and one on the wall, crying. I broke out of line and asked her what was wrong. "They shot the president."

Not many indelible images from that long ago in my childhood, but that's damn sure one...

Another memory of Nov. 22.  My high school radio station broadcast our basketball games.  We had a game scheduled for that night.  Question, then became... would there be a game that night.  Answer :   Yes... because that's what he would have wanted.  I did not do the broadcast that night.  I was the engineer.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

This article doesn't really explain why and how the LP changed the world. The two articles below discuss the importance of the MS river basin to the growth of the US and what led to our inevitable superpower status. For that reason, the LP deserves to be in the top 5 defining moments IMO.

Short version-https://peakygeopolitic.wordpress.com/2018/01/05/the-importance-of-rivers/

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/geopolitics-united-states-part-1-inevitable-empire

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

One could argue The treaty-of-guadalupe-hidalgo combined with the Louisiana Purchase and Sewards Folly are huge in this conversation! Especially when you consider more than half of the US lands and resources came about because of them!

Especially when you add in this to consider about the Civil War!

Mexican-American War: Aftermath 

Although Polk’s war was successful, he lost public support after nearly two bloody and costly years of fighting. Additionally, the controversial war reignited the slavery extension debate that would ultimately result in the American Civil War in the 1860s

So all you American History Buffs, you really want to go out and learn about history!

Go out and experience history through the eyes of other countries! I know people from Mexico that really don’t think the peasant victory of Cinco De Mayo is near the importance as Mexico’s Independence! Turns out Cinco De Mayo may have been more important to America‘a history! Do some research!

Can remember a business trip to Reynosa Mexico, my friend and I stop in a small bar to get a drink. The guy next to my friend asks who that is behind him? We look around to see a life size picture on the wall.I simply reply that’s Pancho Villa. He bought us a round!

Can tell you about my friends from Europe especially my best friend in Russia if you want to hear a different perspective on History! 
And yes I know many people from the former Soviet Union that hate Russia!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So all you American History Buffs, you really want to go out and learn about history!

Go out and experience history through the eyes of other countries! I know people from Mexico that really don’t think the peasant victory of Cinco De Mayo is near the importance as Mexico’s Independence! Turns out Cinco De Mayo may have been more important to America‘s history! Do some research!

Can remember a business trip to Reynosa Mexico, my friend and I stop in a small bar to get a drink. The guy next to my friend asks who that is behind him? We look around to see a life size picture on the wall.I simply reply that’s Pancho Villa. He bought us a round!

Can tell you about my friends from Europe especially my best friend in Russia if you want to hear a different perspective on History! 
And yes I know many people from the former Soviet Union that hate Russia!

Archived