The Derby

The second leg of the Triple Crown being run Saturday. Gonna be strange having a mint julep and my wife wearing her hat, and not seeing the crowds. Not seeing the hype.

Tiz the Law is the favorite, but can he win from the 17th post position. Baffert has two horses, Pletcher one. D. Wayne Lukas, just recovered from covid, doesn't have a horse this year.

Hope it's a good race. Would like to see an upset. 

Went to school with a woman who wrote sports for the IDS back in the day, and went on to become one of the best, and most accomplished writers in the horse racing industry. Would love to pick her mind on this. 

I'll have to fit the race in around football, golf, and Labor Day weekend activities. Last big weekend for the lake.

What an incredibly strange year.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Living and working in the Louisville area, I can tell you that this feels nothing like a Derby should feel.  Normally one of the highlights of the year for this area.  It's less about the two minutes, and more about the extended event.  This year.....nothing.

That’s to be expected but really too bad. I know that a lot of people spend a lot of money in Louisville during a normal Derby year. 

I will lift a julep and my wife will wear her hat. Not into betting on the ponies but will definitely have my favorite 

25 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Do you think Tiz the Law will not run well?

I don’t follow the actual racing as much as I probably should. 

To be honest, I don't know...I picked Honor AP because one of our horses is (distantly) related to him, and Major Fed because I work for the Federal Government.

I know...Real scientific stuff... :) 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To be honest, I don't know...I picked Honor AP because one of our horses is (distantly) related to him, and Major Fed because I work for the Federal Government.

That’s the way I choose horses. We do jackpots for every race so we’re invested in it more than normal. 

• Like 1

Just put my 15 trifectas in. Admittedly I know nothing about horse racing but my good friend from Chicago owns a small stake in Authentic so I have him in a few. Many think he'll fade like he did at Haskell. I always try to bet a horse with any law or legal reference so heavy on Tiz today. 

Absolute Chamber of Commerce weather here. Everyone enjoy the day!  

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Growing up. My parents and one of my uncles would go to Washington Park race track in Illinois two or three times a summer.  I loved it as when they cashed in winning tickets.... I got the change.  Any way.... my mother never checked the odds. And would always bet on what colors she liked best on the jockeys.  While my dad and uncle studied the scratch sheets.... my mother would win as much or more than them. LOL

Washington Park Race Track 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So every year we were in Chicagoland, we'd go to Arlington on Derby Day...We'd always get restaurant tickets and have a few drinks and bet all of the races there at Arlington and the Derby itself...Great way to spend the day...

Going to Sam Houston Race Park this year for it...The run Quarter horses which isn't as exciting to me (it's essentially a sprint down the front stretch), but we get restarant tickets for there too, and my wife is entering the Hat contest...

If you have a racetrack near, it's a great way to watch the Derby and lose money! :D 

• Like 1

Second year in a row that I'm not in the office in downtown Louisville for Derby week.  Still working from home.  It has always been such a great week to be downtown, easily the best of the year, especially Thursday and Friday.

Oh well.

I do not know a single horse running.  Ever since I stopped subscribing to the Courier Journal, Derby coverage is harder to find.  It seems like even the local news has less coverage than it used to. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rico said:

In my near 54 years on this planet, I have never been to a horse track let alone watch horses race.  Gonna add that to my bucket list.  

If you can get up to Chicagoland, go to Arlington...Great place to watch REAL Thoroughbred racing...not this quarter horse sprint stuff...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you can get up to Chicagoland, go to Arlington...Great place to watch REAL Thoroughbred racing...not this quarter horse sprint stuff...

I am only 2 hours from Chicago if that.  Seems like I should have watched the ponies at some point in my life.

• Like 1

I know the attention is going to be on Essential Quality and rightfully so....I'll have some action on 14....but I keep coming back to Hot Rod Charlie and Known Agenda. Don't like the latter getting the rail but that hasn't seemed to matter much.

Same betting strategy as always. About 15-20 $1 trifectas to cover as many options as I can. One thing I haven't thought of and I'm not a horse racing guy but have these horses been running in empty tracks all spring? Will the noise startle any more than others?

• Like 1