The Derby

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is awesome. I want Baffert on my team moving forward. Every angle already covered.

Baffert says one test issue was created by a groom urinating in the stall after the groom had been taking cough medicine. Horse ate some of the hay.

On a 1-10 Believability Scale, I give that one a -2.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is awesome. I want Baffert on my team moving forward. Every angle already covered.

Baffert says one test issue was created by a groom urinating in the stall after the groom had been taking cough medicine. Horse ate some of the hay.

Yeah, a horse isn't eating anything that's been peed on by anybody...You'd be surprised how discriminating they are about their food...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, a horse isn't eating anything that's been peed on by anybody...You'd be surprised how discriminating they are about their food...

Good point. I don't know much about their eating habits....but I'd suspect they be a tad different than a goat. 

Per the pre-Preakness interview I just listened to, Medina Spirit is still not out of the woods and could be disqualified from the Kentucky Derby. Why wouldn’t the horse that ran second be running today? It could conceivably win the next two races, and pending the outcome of the second test on Medina, be a Triple Crown winner.

If I was the owner, I would at least want to give my horse a shot at it 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

http://ustrottingnews.com/harness-racing-is-all-in-the-family-for-trainer-breeder-brian-judy/

Story about my wifes grandpa and uncle.  And he is still around at 95 yrs old. I dont know where he gets his energy.  

Thanks for sharing. Something really special about horses. Helps in the long life department too...keeping active,etc..

• Like 1

Baffert's horse tested positive the second time and is disqualified from the Belmont. Baffert not allowed to bring any horses to the race. Frankly, he should be banned from the sport.

I said it earlier and will repeat. Why didn't the 2nd place horse run the Preakness? Had he won, and then with this disqualification, he would have had a shot at the Triple Crown on Saturday.

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Baffert suspended and the 2021 Derby win is taken away. 2nd place horse declared the winner.

How will they figure out the betting mess on this?

I dont even recall who finished 2nd and what those odds were.  I assume you would have to have a valid vetting slip.  Lack of people having that should reduce the chaos a bit.

• 2 months later...

So I'm bringing this one back up, because an 80-1 shot who started in the 20th pole position, who wasn't even in the race until Friday because another horse scratched, pulled off the biggest upset in Kentucky Derby history... The guy who called the race was so shocked he didn't even mention Rich Strike until the final furlong...Sonny Leon's ride was the most brilliant piece of race horse riding I've ever seen...

Sports moment of the year so far in my book...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

...Sonny Leon's ride was the most brilliant piece of race horse riding I've ever seen...

I thoiught multiple times about posting this very thing.  But, I was too lazy to go back and find the thread.  Brilliant is absolutely correct.  I watched the replay about 5 times and am still in awe about his ride.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So I'm bringing this one back up, because an 80-1 shot who started in the 20th pole position, who wasn't even in the race until Friday because another horse scratched, pulled off the biggest upset in Kentucky Derby history... The guy who called the race was so shocked he didn't even mention Rich Strike until the final furlong...Sonny Leon's ride was the most brilliant piece of race horse riding I've ever seen...

The aerial overhead video of the stretch run was quite amazing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just wish the non horse racing fans of the world knew how improbably that final push was. 17th to Millions. Unreal race and glad I lost every single $ I bet for that finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Rich Strike not running in Preakness.  Feel good story for horse racing turns to crap.

Should the Triple Crown move to an April, June, July format or stay like it is now?

I'm just catching up from the day. Did they offer a reason? Or is it his stud rights are at an all time high right now so we're shutting this down?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Rich Strike not running in Preakness.  Feel good story for horse racing turns to crap.

Should the Triple Crown move to an April, June, July format or stay like it is now?

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just catching up from the day. Did they offer a reason? Or is it his stud rights are at an all time high right now so we're shutting this down?

3 things I thought driving home...

The Preakness is 1/16th of a mile shorter than the Kentucky Derby, and without that extra distance, Rich Strike wouldn't have won the Derby. Pimlico also has sharper turns than Churchill Downs.

He is racing in the Belmont which is a quarter mile longer than the Derby. He looks to be a late closer, so that's to his advantage. 

And, echoing what @Seeking6 is saying, if he'd get beaten badly in the Preakness, that's going to take some of the luster off the Derby win. The Belmont always has the built in excuse of being a longer, more grueling race...and he'll be well rested as opposed to horses who race the Derby and/or the Preakness...

Money drives that sport from the ownership side. Maximize the profits on him is their goal now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Preakness is 1/16th of a mile shorter than the Kentucky Derby, and without that extra distance, Rich Strike wouldn't have won the Derby. Pimlico also has sharper turns than Churchill Downs.

He is racing in the Belmont which is a quarter mile longer than the Derby. He looks to be a late closer, so that's to his advantage. 

And, echoing what @Seeking6 is saying, if he'd get beaten badly in the Preakness, that's going to take some of the luster off the Derby win. The Belmont always has the built in excuse of being a longer, more grueling race...and he'll be well rested as opposed to horses who race the Derby and/or the Preakness...

Money drives that sport from the ownership side. Maximize the profits on him is their goal now.

I think you seriously need to consider changing the schedule.  Go to the May, June, July schedule.  Belmont on July 4th holiday weekend works well.  Keep the Triple Crown concept and bonus (Is there still one?), but add in a Super Big Bonus prize for a horse that wins all 5 of the Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Travers, and Breeders Cup Classic.  If I'm not mistaken, no horse has ever done that.  Make it a 'thing'.  By spreading out the Triple Crown races, there is enough time between all 5 of those races that it would be a schedule a top horse could handle.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think you seriously need to consider changing the schedule.  Go to the May, June, July schedule.  Belmont on July 4th holiday weekend works well.  Keep the Triple Crown concept and bonus (Is there still one?), but add in a Super Big Bonus prize for a horse that wins all 5 of the Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Travers, and Breeders Cup Classic.  If I'm not mistaken, no horse has ever done that.  Make it a 'thing'.  By spreading out the Triple Crown races, there is enough time between all 5 of those races that it would be a schedule a top horse could handle.  

All good points. One thing from a very little point of view....like @IUFLA said it's all money. My guess @5fouls the networks have said it's not a big enough draw for the other two post Derby races? 

I hate that NBC has the Derby and 500. Besides the US Open they are milking until Sunday Night Football....yet they almost hurt the sport without any real follow up. Derby happens and it's blank for a bit.....500 happens and the series head to street racing in Detroit. No momentum for the consumer. 

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That's a good idea. 

I love horse racing, but I actually despise the industry itself. I have a friend, older fella, that was in it for years. He tells some really gruesome stories of the heartlessness of the industry. If a horse isn't making money, they get rid of them any way possible.

• Like 1