The Derby

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think you seriously need to consider changing the schedule.  Go to the May, June, July schedule.  Belmont on July 4th holiday weekend works well.  Keep the Triple Crown concept and bonus (Is there still one?), but add in a Super Big Bonus prize for a horse that wins all 5 of the Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Travers, and Breeders Cup Classic.  If I'm not mistaken, no horse has ever done that.  Make it a 'thing'.  By spreading out the Triple Crown races, there is enough time between all 5 of those races that it would be a schedule a top horse could handle.  

Correct on the “Quintuple Crown”. American Pharaoh came the closest, losing only the Travers. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My annual once a year trip into the world of horse racing is upon us. Who we liking this weekend? Weather should be gorgeous. If headed to Derby enjoy and have a great time. Been to a few over the years. Will always be a 500 guy but The Derby is fun nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My annual once a year trip into the world of horse racing is upon us. Who we liking this weekend? Weather should be gorgeous. If headed to Derby enjoy and have a great time. Been to a few over the years. Will always be a 500 guy but The Derby is fun nonetheless.

Tapit Trice

But I also always bet a longshot, so Sun Thunder...#13 at 50-1...Gotta love that karma...

• Like 1

Working as I do in Louisville, I used to watch all the prep races, intently study the field the week of the race, pay close attention to post-position, join pools at work, etc.

Now, I turn the the TV on an hour before the race and pick a winner (no money involved) during the post-parade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Tapit Trice

But I also always bet a longshot, so Sun Thunder...#13 at 50-1...Gotta love that karma...

For you guys that know. Mage is a little bit longer shot I keep liking. Now with the 9 and 10 being scratched they won't fill those stalls and the horse will have some room out of the gate? I also like Verifying. I don't bet much. Maybe $20-$30 of trifecta combos and fun picks. 

My greatest bet to this day was I'll Have Another. We're in Indy at the book. About 20 minutes before go time and everyone was checking their tickets,etc.....and we all realized none of us had I'll Have Another. Given we were deep into the beer. We all chipped in $10 to win...(12 of us). Not a bad haul that day. Still betting on it. 

• Like 3

We always do a cookout for derby that runs all day. There isn’t a book, but we do jackpots on every race. Each race has a $0.50 one then derby usually has $1, $5, and occasionally $10 or $20. 

I don’t follow the race a whole lot other than trying to catch a few between grilling. 

• Like 1

Listening to Louisville radio while taking the car in for service this morning, it sounds like there is some nerves in the Pletcher barns about the favorite Forte. Vets were in the barn and they had him out on track which is not unheard of, but unusual. Speculation was they were seeing if he could go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Listening to Louisville radio while taking the car in for service this morning, it sounds like there is some nerves in the Pletcher barns about the favorite Forte. Vets were in the barn and they had him out on track which is not unheard of, but unusual. Speculation was they were seeing if he could go.  

He is officially out.  Just announced it.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just saw the video of his workout this morning. Something looked off on front right. Tough one but given the deaths this week. Caution is fine by me.

• Like 1

That 1,000+ lb body on those spindley legs make it a delicate balance, especially on thoroughbreds...Probably 80% of all health related issues I've seen with horses over the years are leg/hoof related...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 2:17 PM, Seeking6 said:

For you guys that know. Mage is a little bit longer shot I keep liking. Now with the 9 and 10 being scratched they won't fill those stalls and the horse will have some room out of the gate? I also like Verifying. I don't bet much. Maybe $20-$30 of trifecta combos and fun picks. 

My greatest bet to this day was I'll Have Another. We're in Indy at the book. About 20 minutes before go time and everyone was checking their tickets,etc.....and we all realized none of us had I'll Have Another. Given we were deep into the beer. We all chipped in $10 to win...(12 of us). Not a bad haul that day. Still betting on it. 

What a $1 bet. Hit the tri with a few others on Mage. Total luck I guess. Hope everyone hit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

What a $1 bet. Hit the tri with a few others on Mage. Total luck I guess. Hope everyone hit!

I was watching the undercard races, and at race #3 I decided to start researching and making 'picks' in my head (no actual money).  First 3 races I picked (Races 3, 4, & 5), I picked Winner, Winner, and 2nd.  Things got a little ugly after that.  I did make the Cody's Wish pick later, but that was a no-brainer.  I skipped a few races, and then picked Angel of Empire in the Derby.

Probably would have made a little bit of money if i would have actually bet.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I was watching the undercard races, and at race #3 I decided to start researching and making 'picks' in my head (no actual money).  First 3 races I picked (Races 3, 4, & 5), I picked Winner, Winner, and 2nd.  Things got a little ugly after that.  I did make the Cody's Wish pick later, but that was a no-brainer.  I skipped a few races, and then picked Angel of Empire in the Derby.

Probably would have made a little bit of money if i would have actually bet.  

Wasn't aware of the Cody's Wish thing until today....that's all sorts of awesome. Neighbor down the street has a similar situation. Just melts the heart for sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Triple Crown needs an overhaul.  Two weeks in between Derby and Preakness gives us the uninspiring field we got yesterday.

Derby - First Saturday in May

Preakness - First Saturday in June

Belmont - First Saturday in July

A potential Triple Crown on July 4th weekend?  Sign me up.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Drroogh said:

With Baffert back how does that affect Preakness?

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hope his horse comes in last 

His horse won, but I'm with you... It's people like Baffert that give horse racing a bad name... I have 2 friends in the industry (both owners) and both will tell you the first consideration for guys like Baffert is money, and the last are the animals themselves... his crocodile tears for his horse that got put down yesterday was nauseating... 

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Triple Crown needs an overhaul.  Two weeks in between Derby and Preakness gives us the uninspiring field we got yesterday.

Derby - First Saturday in May

Preakness - First Saturday in June

Belmont - First Saturday in July

A potential Triple Crown on July 4th weekend?  Sign me up.

Makes a helluva lot more sense to have a month between for animals that depend on very fragile legs... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Churchill Downs has suspended racing due to the high number of horse deaths this meet. 

I love the Derby and the horses. Beautiful animals....but this is really ticking me off. Even as a casual once a year fan I hate whatever is going on down there. Sounds like they need a timeout for sure.