2022 CG Jalen Hood-Schifino Commits to INDIANA!!

Vincent14

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I may have missed it.  But does anyone know why he decommitted from Pitt ?

Not exactly, but he committed when he was a sophomore.  Lots of times kids see the allure of playing for the hometown school when they are young then realize they want a more high profile recruitment.  Usually that's the reason for cases like this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vincent14 said:

Not exactly, but he committed when he was a sophomore.  Lots of times kids see the allure of playing for the hometown school when they are young then realize they want a more high profile recruitment.  Usually that's the reason for cases like this.

Sure and didn’t Jeff Capel leave Duke to take the job...big name coach comes in promising the world...then you realize that Coach K makes that thing tick and it isn’t easy winning at a school like Pitt...kids are quick to catch on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Seems like this guy's thread should be getting more attention.

Top 30 (decommit from Pitt - wonder if there is any XJ connection there?) - https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hood-Schifino-46086137/

Seems pretty high on us according to this TDH article - https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-roundup-tidbits-on-several-2022-targets-emerge-from-weekend-national-reports/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cybergates said:

Seems like this guy's thread should be getting more attention.

Top 30 (decommit from Pitt - wonder if there is any XJ connection there?) - https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hood-Schifino-46086137/

Seems pretty high on us according to this TDH article - https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-roundup-tidbits-on-several-2022-targets-emerge-from-weekend-national-reports/

Agree. He’s had some very positive things to say.  See, e.g., Mike’s great article in The Daily Hoosier.   I’ve seen him described as a combo guard but I could totally see Woody working him as a point guard a lot.  Woody likes a point guard with some length and Jalen Hood-Schifino might make a lot of sense.  I’m not putting Jason Kidd on him, but his frame and the way he gets in the lane is reminiscent of him.  Recruiting is looking up, big time.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree. He’s had some very positive things to say.  See, e.g., Mike’s great article in The Daily Hoosier.   I’ve seen him described as a combo guard but I could totally see Woody working him as a point guard a lot.  Woody likes a point guard with some length and Jalen Hood-Schifino might make a lot of sense.  I’m not putting Jason Kidd on him, but his frame and the way he gets in the lane is reminiscent of him.  Recruiting is looking up, big time.  

Isn’t it amazing the kids we’ve offered thus far? I feel like we really have a chance with every one of them. 

• Like 3

I would say he isn’t Uber athletic. Not particularly quick with or without the ball but he uses his body well and is a really really good shooter. This one is interesting. I wonder how well he will be able to shake defenders at the next level and finish. No doubt he has a nice stroke and a solid game but something doesn’t quite jump off the screen to me when viewing his game. He has come a long way with his ball handling in the past year. I thought before he was very loose with the ball and not strong with it or his passes but he has gotten better. Nothing screams elite but overall a very nice player. We seem to be in a good place with him so we will see. Maybe more a combo guard then pure point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

I would say he isn’t Uber athletic. Not particularly quick with or without the ball but he uses his body well and is a really really good shooter. This one is interesting. I wonder how well he will be able to shake defenders at the next level and finish. No doubt he has a nice stroke and a solid game but something doesn’t quite jump off the screen to me when viewing his game. He has come a long way with his ball handling in the past year. I thought before he was very loose with the ball and not strong with it or his passes but he has gotten better. Nothing screams elite but overall a very nice player. We seem to be in a good place with him so we will see. Maybe more a combo guard then pure point.

Interesting thoughts. I wasn’t able to focus on his athleticism from the brief clips I saw but I will try to focus on that more as additional  video comes out.  You can tell by who Woody pursues (and tellingly doesn’t), he wants reasonable size at the one.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting thoughts. I wasn’t able to focus on his athleticism from the brief clips I saw but I will try to focus on that more as additional  video comes out.  You can tell by who Woody pursues (and tellingly doesn’t), he wants reasonable size at the one.  

Seth Tremble he is not. Not saying he isn’t athletic at all...but just that he isn’t overly athletic. He is kind of more methodical in his approach. He doesn’t play at a break neck speed like many pg out there. He has excellent size so that helps tremendously but I don’t especially see a guy that will break down defenses like say Xavier does. He is a great shooter. Just not sure how he would do against elite B1G athletes in creating his own shot. Maybe more Seth Curry than Steph? Lol just thinking he may benefit from playing next to a more dynamic point guard and playing the 2.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

Reminds me of Devin Booker

Think that is a good comparison....I mean I can see what keeps him from being that 5* Duke/UK type kid...but he is so good at what he does...I think he would pair very very well with an athletic up tempo attacking pass first type point guard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...