2022 CG Jalen Hood-Schifino Commits to INDIANA!!

Vincent14

10 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Interesting thought.  I'm curious which option people would think is better for the program:

A)  TJD leaves after this year and is drafted Top 5

B) TJD stays and we win a National Championship next year.

I know there a a lot of variables, but in it's face, which would be better for the program?

I think option B is much more feasible than option A.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Interesting thought.  I'm curious which option people would think is better for the program:

I know there a a lot of variables, but in it's face, which would be better for the program?

B without a doubt because winning championships is the only thing that matters.   I couldn't care less about a players draft stock.

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

B, because unless he has a major regression, he’s still going to be a lottery pick and we have #6 to show for it. 

Lottery pick??? He needs to show a ton of skill progression for that. He’s been lucky to be projected in the 1st round which has been rare at this point. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Lottery pick??? He needs to show a ton of skill progression for that. He’s been lucky to be projected in the 1st round which has been rare at this point. 

He's ranked 62nd in most recent mock I saw. Nowhere to go but up, but he's a long, long way from being a lottery pick. A lot can change that this season though! I'm anxious to see how the NIL gives guys opportunities who are borderline draft picks. 

11 hours ago, mkaser said:

Been a while since I've been on boys, moved into Bloomington for freshman year and the buzz around the team and Jalens commitment down here is getting crazy!!

Please stay active and post anything you hear or see please....as others said you have a perspective most of us don't!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Trust me I'll always take a title. How about both? Haha.

12 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

He's ranked 62nd in most recent mock I saw. Nowhere to go but up, but he's a long, long way from being a lottery pick. A lot can change that this season though! I'm anxious to see how the NIL gives guys opportunities who are borderline draft picks. 

Said this when NIL came out....an unintended benefit programs could see in both hoops and football is borderline draft guys might stick around a year longer instead of leaving early.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Agree, he's a long, long way from being a lottery pick. I don't know that its even something he could realistically achieve. 

He would have to have a monster, all-time type of season to move up that far as a junior. 

Granted they're different players with different skill sets, but Luka Garza was the NPOY and didn't even move into the 1st round let along sniffing a lottery pick.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, he's a long, long way from being a lottery pick. I don't know that its even something he could realistically achieve. 

He would have to have a monster, all-time type of season to move up that far as a junior. 

Granted they're different players with different skill sets, but Luka Garza was the NPOY and didn't even move into the 1st round let along sniffing a lottery pick.   

That year 3 thing is so scary. You can go the Sam Dekker route and play your team/self into F4 and NBA.....or you can go the Ayo route last year. Win a lot of games, fail in tourney....and fall from projected top 15 pick to middle of the 2nd round in one season. 

• Like 1

If Trayce was to somehow show a developed jump shot 15 and out....I think he can absolutely become a late 1st rd pick...but without showing consistency hitting from the perimeter...he is at most a 2nd rounder.  I don't expect that from him. I expect him to expand his inside game (using his right hand) and learn to maybe hit a little face up or across the lane runner 10-12 feet out. If he wants to be able to face up and knock down anything outside 15 feet consistently...going to take more than 1 year to get that done....he would need to come back. Kid could be a 1st round pick if he could show he can knock down a corner 3 or face up 18 feet and knock down pick n pop. Just think that is a long ways off for him...and that isn't Woodson's fault. Improvement...it's what everyone wants from a coach. I think the rest of the team's shooting/scoring and especially how Tamar fairs will be a bigger indication of Woody's ability to improve young men more than a summer of coaching to a big that has shown no ability before this to shoot the ball. Bigs just take longer anyways.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If Trayce was to somehow show a developed jump shot 15 and out....I think he can absolutely become a late 1st rd pick...but without showing consistency hitting from the perimeter...he is at most a 2nd rounder

If Trayce shows he can hit from the outside with some consistency i think he could easily be a late lottery pick or at least a first round selection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

If Trayce shows he can hit from the outside with some consistency i think he could easily be a late lottery pick or at least a first round selection. 

Sure, and if he becomes a 6'9" Steph Curry, he will be the top pick overall. But, realistically, he hasn't shown the ability to be an outside shooter, and it would be pretty unusual to all of a sudden develop that in one off season. 

Hopefully IU boosters get their act together and the kid brings in a couple hundred thousand dollars this year and he faces the real possibility that being a second round pick is a pay cut. To me, that would be a bigger recruiting boost than getting a guy or two to the league. Any kid outside of the top 10 should realize that getting to the league is far from certain, but if you can make some serious money either way, that should be appealing to the 20-50 ranked kids and those are the kids I want anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Sure, and if he becomes a 6'9" Steph Curry, he will be the top pick overall. But, realistically, he hasn't shown the ability to be an outside shooter, and it would be pretty unusual to all of a sudden develop that in one off season. 

Hopefully IU boosters get their act together and the kid brings in a couple hundred thousand dollars this year and he faces the real possibility that being a second round pick is a pay cut. To me, that would be a bigger recruiting boost than getting a guy or two to the league. Any kid outside of the top 10 should realize that getting to the league is far from certain, but if you can make some serious money either way, that should be appealing to the 20-50 ranked kids and those are the kids I want anyway.

well since you started the post right away being a smartass where it wasn't needed, i will just do this 👍

Edited by Hoosier51

my son actually played JHS team this summer.  of course they are very good.  my son plays with a 7 footer who is pretty solid and they play very well as a team.  they won a lot of games and very rarely lost by double digits.  JHS team beat them by 20.  he looked very solid, but his whole team is loaded.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Trayce was to somehow show a developed jump shot 15 and out....I think he can absolutely become a late 1st rd pick...but without showing consistency hitting from the perimeter...he is at most a 2nd rounder.  I don't expect that from him. I expect him to expand his inside game (using his right hand) and learn to maybe hit a little face up or across the lane runner 10-12 feet out. If he wants to be able to face up and knock down anything outside 15 feet consistently...going to take more than 1 year to get that done....he would need to come back. Kid could be a 1st round pick if he could show he can knock down a corner 3 or face up 18 feet and knock down pick n pop. Just think that is a long ways off for him...and that isn't Woodson's fault. Improvement...it's what everyone wants from a coach. I think the rest of the team's shooting/scoring and especially how Tamar fairs will be a bigger indication of Woody's ability to improve young men more than a summer of coaching to a big that has shown no ability before this to shoot the ball. Bigs just take longer anyways.

I think TJD's best NBA comp is Montrez Harrell. He has thrived in the right situations, but is mostly an energy guy that can make an impact on contenders. 

No shame in that at all, FWIW. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think TJD's best NBA comp is Montrez Harrell. He has thrived in the right situations, but is mostly an energy guy that can make an impact on contenders. 

I always looked at Tristan Thompson as a similar type of player.  Not a huge offensive threat, but rebounding and garbage baskets, dunks, tip wins...close to the basket offense.

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

No doubt!! But look even at a guy look Julius Randle. If that guy can improve his game (even still as limited as it is) to the point he has then if there is a chance Trayce could (although with a lot of work and a lot of time) would possibly be his goal. But yes...even at worst he can be kind of a smaller 5 (as there are fewer and fewer true centers in the league) and give you energy and a guy that can run the court.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt!! But look even at a guy look Julius Randle. If that guy can improve his game (even still as limited as it is) to the point he has then if there is a chance Trayce could (although with a lot of work and a lot of time) would possibly be his goal. But yes...even at worst he can be kind of a smaller 5 (as there are fewer and fewer true centers in the league) and give you energy and a guy that can run the court.

Anybody know who was an assistant coach when Randle made his jump?

• Like 3