Favour Aire - 2022

The Daily Hoosier

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I see most of the offers for 2022 is out of state which is fine with me.  Is it because the class of 2022 in state is not as good as it has been or is there a reason we have not offered in state kids in this class.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see most of the offers for 2022 is out of state which is fine with me.  Is it because the class of 2022 in state is not as good as it has been or is there a reason we have not offered in state kids in this class.

probably a combination of what is coming from Indiana in the class of 2022 and the ties that the new assistant has to some of these out of state guys. 

I haven't reviewed the stats, but it sure "feels like" the offer flood gates opened up the minute Coach Hunter got here. Not sure that's bad, but just seems weird that Archie wouldn't have made a least one of these kids an offer on his own observations.

Probably just a paranoid old fart.

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

I haven't reviewed the stats, but it sure "feels like" the offer flood gates opened up the minute Coach Hunter got here. Not sure that's bad, but just seems weird that Archie wouldn't have made a least one of these kids an offer on his own observations.

Probably just a paranoid old fart.

It is more about having good connections rather than just throwing out offers.  Most of these offers are in areas/schools/coaches where Hunter is connected.  That makes IU a much more legit contender, which is what I think Archie looks for when getting involved.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

It is more about having good connections rather than just throwing out offers.  Most of these offers are in areas/schools/coaches where Hunter is connected.  That makes IU a much more legit contender, which is what I think Archie looks for when getting involved.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. It just seems like we've made 5-8 offers in the last week. Probably not accurate, but sure seems that way. 

Arch has proven to me that he knows what he wants in a recruit. But since coaches are still locked out from visiting recruits, I would think Archie would want a face to face with these kids and their coaches before offering. But that's just me.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. It just seems like we've made 5-8 offers in the last week. Probably not accurate, but sure seems that way. 

Arch has proven to me that he knows what he wants in a recruit. But since coaches are still locked out from visiting recruits, I would think Archie would want a face to face with these kids and their coaches before offering. But that's just me.

I think the number is more like 4-5, but I agree, a bit out of character for Archie.  The "face to face" meetings ARE happening on Zoom calls, by the way.  But what this really shows is how much trust Arch has in Kenya Hunter.

53 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think the number is more like 4-5, but I agree, a bit out of character for Archie.  The "face to face" meetings ARE happening on Zoom calls, by the way.  But what this really shows is how much trust Arch has in Kenya Hunter.

Plus, it is still relatively early in the process  with the '22 guys. Alot changes. Gives a few instate kids a chance to improve their stock with the upcoming season. Waiting to see those like Braden Smith who could receive an offer with a nice season. 

Because I'm anal, I keep track of trivial information.  Kenya Hunter's hire started leaking out on Aug. 21.  Using Aug. 20, as an arbitrary date. We have extended a single offer since that date to the class of '21 = Hunter Sallis and it was very clearly related to Hunter's hire.   

In the class of '22, C. J. Gunn was offered on Aug. 20 as was Isaac McKneeley and I feel pretty safe in saying these were both unrelated to Kenya Hunter.  On the 31st --  Rodney Rice, Justin Taylor and Masai Troutman.  Yesterday we offered Jalen Hood-Schafino and today Favour Aire.   In a Q and A with Masai Troutman by Inside The Hall, he was quoted as saying he had no prior relationship with Kenya Hunter.

In summary, 8 total offers since Aug. 20, at least 3 of which unrelated to Hunter's joining the staff.  Hood-Schafino was originally from the Pittsburgh area so his offer is a question mark as to was it Archie or was it Kenya.

All just FWIW.

Agree with TDH. These are guys we didn’t have any relations with and an offer would likely be meaningless without Hunter. Also with how regional recruiting has been in the Covid era Hunter would have first hand info on these kids just like we have strong info on our Indiana recruits. At least we have a chance with them. It might only be one but that should help us fill out our roster when combined with the current targets.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agree with TDH. These are guys we didn’t have any relations with and an offer would likely be meaningless without Hunter. Also with how regional recruiting has been in the Covid era Hunter would have first hand info on these kids just like we have strong info on our Indiana recruits. At least we have a chance with them. It might only be one but that should help us fill out our roster when combined with the current targets.

It’s possible though that Hunter has a relationship with someone close to the kid in some cases but doesn’t actually know the recruit personally. This goes for any coach not just Hunter. It gives them an in to the recruitment. Whether it’s a coach of an AAU team, high school coach, a family member or family friend. 

5 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Because I'm anal, I keep track of trivial information.  Kenya Hunter's hire started leaking out on Aug. 21.  Using Aug. 20, as an arbitrary date. We have extended a single offer since that date to the class of '21 = Hunter Sallis and it was very clearly related to Hunter's hire.   

In the class of '22, C. J. Gunn was offered on Aug. 20 as was Isaac McKneeley and I feel pretty safe in saying these were both unrelated to Kenya Hunter.  On the 31st --  Rodney Rice, Justin Taylor and Masai Troutman.  Yesterday we offered Jalen Hood-Schafino and today Favour Aire.   In a Q and A with Masai Troutman by Inside The Hall, he was quoted as saying he had no prior relationship with Kenya Hunter.

In summary, 8 total offers since Aug. 20, at least 3 of which unrelated to Hunter's joining the staff.  Hood-Schafino was originally from the Pittsburgh area so his offer is a question mark as to was it Archie or was it Kenya.

All just FWIW.

While Troutman had no relationship with Hunter, this is the situation that DC alluded to where Hunter's connections with coaches in the area played a role.

Archived