ACC Coaches to propose that all D1 teams make 2021 NCAA Tournament

IU247

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Big difference between small school college basketball teams and small school high school basketball teams.  The only 'small' schools that would have a chance to advance beyond a regional in high school are private schools that have the benefit of recruiting.  The Milan Miracle would have zero chance of happening in today's world.  

Is this a fair fight?

9      10       11     12    Total      

Carmel High School 1359 1338 1267 1322 5286 AAAA

Milan High School      77      96      97    110   380   AA

And, it's worth noting that there are 143 schools in the state eligible for the tournament that are SMALLER than Milan.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, the largest schools in the state had about 2,000 students.  The size discrepancy was not nearly as significant as it is now.

As great as the one class tourney was when it existed, it is an idea that whose time has passed.  

When I attended Bloomington North  in the '90s, the total size of the school was around the size of a single Carmel class, maybe smaller. IIRC we were in the 1200-1300 range, maybe even 1100-1200. I think Bloomington South at that time was around 2k students.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't just change things up because coaches want it because coaches who get to the tournament usually keeps their job. Of course coaches would want everyone to make it so they can keep their jobs.

What about bonuses for making the tournament?

Not seen this discussed yet...

The way I understand it, payouts from the NCAA for the tournament are based on units. A year or so ago, each unit was worth about $280,000.

Each of the 32 conferences that have an automatic bid got paid one unit.

The rest of the units were paid out based on performance. For each at-large bid, an extra unit was paid. As teams advance, the conference gets paid an extra unit, until the Final Four. Most conferences share the money equally between all members.

Under the proposed structure, aren't these payments going to get watered down? I can't imagine the NCAA paying out the full value for 300+ schools being involved. With the pandemic wreaking havoc on athletic department budgets, I can't see Power 5 conferences agreeing to lower payouts.

Just don't see how this would be feasible financially as well as the logistical nightmare of trying to schedule this

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We are in a pandemic. Honestly I liked the idea for JUST ONE YEAR.  Having said that.... I have no idea how it could have been pulled off.

BRING BACK ONE CLASS BB TO INDIANA.  Revive the dream. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

We are in a pandemic. Honestly I liked the idea for JUST ONE YEAR.  Having said that.... I have no idea how it could have been pulled off.

BRING BACK ONE CLASS BB TO INDIANA.  Revive the dream. 

Single class basketball is never coming back...Whitko grad '85, we made it to the FF in '91 by divine providence.

52 minutes ago, rico said:

Single class basketball is never coming back...Whitko grad '85, we made it to the FF in '91 by divine providence.

And my old high school made it to the 3rd class championship game with Brandon Dawson vs Washington with Cody Zeller.  All the while watching that game... I could not get it out of my mind....what if....both of those two teams made it to the championship game.... sans class bb.

Oh... I know you are right.  Indiana class basketball is here to stay.  Forget living the dream. 

If all teams are invited and since it's pretty hard to rank from #1 to #350, they should just do random selections to fill the brackets. Montana State can be a #1 seed even though they'll most likely go home on the first week. So if that happens, a team should win up to 9 consecutive games to win the championship. That seems difficult. 

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

If all teams are invited and since it's pretty hard to rank from #1 to #350, they should just do random selections to fill the brackets. Montana State can be a #1 seed even though they'll most likely go home on the first week. So if that happens, a team should win up to 9 consecutive games to win the championship. That seems difficult. 

Blind draw?  Hell, I like that notion.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

I was thinking this exact same thing.  And honestly, it should be like that every year.  If you're selected for the 64, then its random, winner takes all

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And my old high school made it to the 3rd class championship game with Brandon Dawson vs Washington with Cody Zeller.  All the while watching that game... I could not get it out of my mind....what if....both of those two teams made it to the championship game.... sans class bb.

Oh... I know you are right.  Indiana class basketball is here to stay.  Forget living the dream. 

Best team in the state was in 2A that year, IMO. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Best team in the state was in 2A that year, IMO. 

See. That's what I am talking about.  It's not having another miracle. But the opportunity to chase your dream. Growing up in Gary, Indiana... with one class basketball.... it was a thrill for me to see  a school to even win a Sectional that was not expected to.And heaven forbid go on to win the first game of a Regional.  Memories that will last those players a life time... rather than getting a participation trophy.

Archived