'79-'80 to '88-'89

rico

If you were to put a starting line-up together of all the guys that played in that decade what would it look like?  So basically I am asking for a starting line-up from the guys that played in the 80's.  And there are some interesting choices and decisions to be made save one.  So I will start it out and give you my line-up and then tell you why I picked who I did.

PG- Isiah Thomas

SG- Randy Wittman

C- Ray Tolbert

SF-Mike Woodson

PF-Ted Kitchel

Now before anybody jumps on me about my exclusion of Alford.  I just think Wittman was a better all-around player.  He could shoot from deep.  Handle the ball extremely well and he played defense.  BTW he was 6'-6" and could rebound as well.  

Thomas PG

Alford - SG

Wittman - SF

Anderson - PF

Dean Garrett - C

This was a tough cut to separate since time period straddled the introduction of the 3 point shot.

I could make a valid argument for Eric Anderson from an overall skill set standpoint since he was such an under-rated shooter. Knight just didn't utilize his full skill set for much of Anderson's time at IU.Nor did he really have to for the most part. I was fairly young , but I still; clearly remember how many thought Anderson was going to have to be the guy post Jay Edwards, and then Lawrence Funderburke.

Few to none pegged Cheaney coming in and doing what he did. Most of Knights late 80's early 90's recruits were originally intended to be the core of veteran complimentary players to plug Damon Bailey in with upon his inevitable arrival to IU.The years after the 1987 run began a frustrating time period for me to reflect on in general. It just never felt "right" again after Rick Calloway transferred.

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Woodson was injured and only played 14 games in the '79-'80 season.  I slide Wittman over to SF, have Alford at SG, and have Dean Garrett over Tolbert at Center.  Garrett was better rebounder. 

Woodson played enough to be named Big Ten MVP.  But as always...it is subjective.  

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

I have heard about some of these teams and players from my parents over the years.

You can actually get DVDs of the '81 and '87 championship games.   If you get the chance to ever watch them, you can add supporting detail to all the stories you've heard.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:16 PM, IU Scott said:

I would probably put in Landon Turner over Kitchel and you have to have Alford in there as well.

Turner didn't get his head out of his arsz til half way through his junior year.  Yes he was a beast once he figured it out.

7 hours ago, Coach1K said:

I have heard about some of these teams and players from my parents over the years.

I love the fact that your parents instruct you about the history of IUBB.  I know you have mentioned this in the past... on other iterations of HSN.  Gotta say. I would love to spend one night with your parents discussing IUBB. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You can actually get DVDs of the '81 and '87 championship games.   If you get the chance to ever watch them, you can add supporting detail to all the stories you've heard.

With Xfinity I have YouTube TV and I can get a lot of old IU games.  I have watched all the championship games under RMK.  I also watched all the tournament games from 92 and 02

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I love the fact that your parents instruct you about the history of IUBB.  I know you have mentioned this in the past... on other iterations of HSN.  Gotta say. I would love to spend one night with your parents discussing IUBB. 

My parents were there in the 80's so I'm covered on those years. The first time I really watched IU was when Dane Fife and Tom Coverdale were on campus but somewhere along the way other teams entered into my viewing.

Archived