2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

Archie said in post game press conference last night he thinks he has guys that can shoot now but they just aren't getting good shot, taking bad shots,or not confident.  That outlook may be problematic in recruiting really good shooters going forward.

Should he have instead stated, “Yea all these current players stink at shooting. We need to recruit some shooters”? Behind closed doors, I would guess he and his staff have identified shooting as a weakness. But nothing good will come out of announcing this at the podium after a post-game conference loss. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Should he have instead stated, “Yea all these current players stink at shooting. We need to recruit some shooters”? Behind closed doors, I would guess he and his staff have identified shooting as a weakness. But nothing good will come out of announcing this at the podium after a post-game conference loss. 

You are guessing ,I am going off his recorded press conference. Thats is all I know and if you are honest with yourself that's all you know too. The rest is speculation 

1 hour ago, DocHoosier said:

I disagree, I think after a freaking 7 game loosing streak he needs to point out all of the problems this team has. I am tired of the sugar coating bulls***, you can like that crap all you want but I am sick of it. Maybe just maybe it would light a fire in some of these kids bellys. Notice I said some because I don't think some care. Or maybe we shouldn't talk about how they can't shoot so they feel good about themselves what bulls***!!! Maybe its ok green was smoking pot and got suspended instead of leading this team as a junior more bulls***

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

I disagree, I think after a freaking 7 game loosing streak he needs to point out all of the problems this team has. I am tired of the sugar coating bull

, you can like that crap all you want but I am sick of it. Maybe just maybe it would light a fire in some of these kids bellys. Notice I said some because I don't think some care. Or maybe we shouldn't talk about how they can't shoot so they feel good about themselves what bull!!! Maybe its ok green was smoking pot and got suspended instead of leading this team as a junior more bull.

That's some anger.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, Cutter said:

Lol that's honestly how I feel

I don’t doubt Archie shares that sentiment on shooting and so much more. Not only has the offense failed us but the defense intensity and activity has as well. Add that to poor rebounding Archie has to be pretty darn upset. Of course part or what he said is that his team has confidence issues...obviously some fragile players on this team but he can’t call them out on blast. Most coaches know some guys can handle that...some can’t...due to the fact we have almost half a roster of freshman I can see why he feels that way. Let’s hope Archie recognizes the shortcomings of the roster and will address it in his recruiting. I do think we have two of our better shooters on the bench injured in Race and Jerome and I doubt he counted on Green getting suspended. Depending on what happens with the roster in the off season maybe another grad transfer except this time hopefully he gets it right. No way he thought the injuries would hamstring us like this and Fitz would play this poorly.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We discussed earlier in the week. I think Archie is telling us something today. He's watching 6'9  230 lb Versatile Center Tre Mitchell today. 4 star Center in 2019 class. 

I think it’s pretty telling that Archie is the one that’s watching him today too. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We discussed earlier in the week. I think Archie is telling us something today. He's watching 6'9  230 lb Versatile Center Tre Mitchell today. 4 star Center in 2019 class. 

You mean telling us by that you think a big or two will be leaving or that you think Brooks might not come.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You mean telling us by that you think a big or two will be leaving or that you think Brooks might not come.

I think we'll have 2-3 people leave this year and Archie is wanting to replace those guys with talented size. I'm not worried about Brooks one bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot has been made out of Archie’s lack of ability identifying offensive threats on the recruiting trail. Did the APR prevent him from getting his guys? Did Glass request him to keep the players previously signed LOI when taking the job? No clue. 

Lets take a look at two guards Arch identified as high level prospects.

McKinley Wright, PG Colorado 

Freshman: 14.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 5.5 apg

Sophomore: 13.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 5.0 apg

Davide Moretti, G Texas Tech

Freshman: 3.5 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.1 apg

Sophomore: 10.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 2.5 apg

For comparison, let’s look at IU guards previously in place when Archie took over.

Devonte Green

2018 (Soph): 7.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.5 apg

2019 (Junior): 7.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.9 apg

Josh Newkirk

2018 (Senior): 7.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.8 apg

Conclusion: Archie can identify talent on the recruiting trail. I will continue to trust him and look forward to bringing in more of his players as he cleans up the roster mess left by Crean. 

• 4 weeks later...

Juniors and sophomores to keep an eye on.  I'm rooting for my hometown guy, Trey Kaufman.  He just keeps getting better.  He was sick in sectional and regional, hope he explodes tomorrow but they play a team system.  

One of the reporters has already stated he is most improved this season, I think amongst 2021 guys.  

https://www.953wiki.com/news/sports-news/ibca-subway-boys-all-state-honors-set/

On 2/15/2019 at 9:03 AM, CoachSS said:

Very down year in-state in 2020. 

2021 looks to have four players (Lander, Furst, Thomas, Kauffman) that will all have multiple, multiple P5 offers. 

2020 you can only say that with maybe a small, select few guys and none of the offers are, necessarily, top-30 or top-40 types of teams / programs. 

Safe to say we’ll be headed out of state? How many ships will we have for 2020?

Archived