2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

I think Langford to finish out the class and bank the other ride for the following year would still be a success.

Most definitely. If we can get a 6'10"+ big,  I'd take that in addition to Romeo. Otherwise, save for a grad transfer or next year

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/08/31/indiana-doing-a-terrific-job-in-recruitment-of-trayce-jackson-davis/

I really love reading this on Jackson-Davis. Another great write up from ITH.

I just read that and was going to post it here but you beat me to it. Didn't know he has been on campus so much. A good sign.

Brings up an interesting question.... How would you rank / who would you prefer from the group of Brooks, Watford and Jackson-Davis for 2019?

Does the competition for that spot prompt an early commit? If so, I think Jackson-Davis would be the logical choice because of his greater contact/ access to the team. 

On paper, we have room for one, think we could/ would take 2. All 3 are about the same size and position.

I still think we need a Center, but will save that discussion for another day.

12 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I just read that and was going to post it here but you beat me to it. Didn't know he has been on campus so much. A good sign.

Brings up an interesting question.... How would you rank / who would you prefer from the group of Brooks, Watford and Jackson-Davis for 2019?

Does the competition for that spot prompt an early commit? If so, I think Jackson-Davis would be the logical choice because of his greater contact/ access to the team. 

On paper, we have room for one, think we could/ would take 2. All 3 are about the same size and position.

I would think we will have at least two scholarships for the 19 class because you will always have transfers or players leaving early for the NBA. I would take a class of Davis and Brooks because if pretty much equal I will take the kids from Indiana.

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Brooks then Davis. I have seen Watford twice and he looks soft to me. I don't think Archie plays by the old school 5 positions. Or cares about true centers.  You are either a guard, wing or a big. 

One thing I do gather from the recruiting, is we don't seem too desperate for an off-guard 2018, so the staff must be fairly confident in Durham.  Good lower rated off-guards are usually pretty easy to find- Oladipio, Sheehey, even guys like Malik Story and Remy Abell had good college careers.  The off-guards we're going after are all pretty high-profile. If the staff didn't think Durham could make a decent starter at some point, I think you'd see more 2-guards visiting.  

36 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

One thing I do gather from the recruiting, is we don't seem too desperate for an off-guard 2018, so the staff must be fairly confident in Durham.  Good lower rated off-guards are usually pretty easy to find- Oladipio, Sheehey, even guys like Malik Story and Remy Abell had good college careers.  The off-guards we're going after are all pretty high-profile. If the staff didn't think Durham could make a decent starter at some point, I think you'd see more 2-guards visiting.  

We do have Damezi signed for next year who is a shooting guard. Combined with CuJo, Al and Romeo  :D, I think we are pretty deep there.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:35 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

Indykev's post about Justin Smith in the recruiting forum got me thinking:

The freshmen may be the X factor for next season that no one seems to be considering much.  Smith is a pretty highly touted recruit and we've hardly been talking about him on here.  And Moore has been described as an athletic "project," which makes me think he may be a candidate for the OG Anunoby Breakout Freshman of the Year Award.  Would be huge if he could give us spot minutes at the 5 this year - he's had some time to bulk up with Cliff.

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

If we don't get Romeo or Dort, CuJo should have that spot locked down in 2018 and 2019.

4 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

When looking at who we have now and our possibilities in 2019- I just don't get the recruitment of Forrester.   Maybe the staff thinks he's better than his ranking or still growing.  Still, doesn't exactly seem to fit a need.  

6'8 or 6'9 kid that is more athletic than Juwan that plays above the rim? I wasn't sure either until I started to watch all of his youtube stuff. yes , I know its youtube, but you can get an idea. Its one of those kids that will fill a roll for 4 years.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

6'8 or 6'9 kid that is more athletic than Juwan that plays above the rim? I wasn't sure either until I started to watch all of his youtube stuff. yes , I know its youtube, but you can get an idea. Its one of those kids that will fill a roll for 4 years.

By that description- he should be ranked higher.  Don't get me wrong- OG was much better than his ranking, so was Victor.  And yes- ARchie knows more about basketball than me.  But I'd argue there's probably a reason he's rated as the 150th best player in the nation.  And given the fact that Moore, Smith, Thompson, and Hunter all are described as combo forwards, his recruitment seems a bit odd.

3 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

By that description- he should be ranked higher.  Don't get me wrong- OG was much better than his ranking, so was Victor.  And yes- ARchie knows more about basketball than me.  But I'd argue there's probably a reason he's rated as the 150th best player in the nation.  And given the fact that Moore, Smith, Thompson, and Hunter all are described as combo forwards, his recruitment seems a bit odd.

After reading quotes from his Seton Hall visit, he may end up there. They are promising PT he will not get here.

We are definitely going to be stacked at the 3/4 positions in the coming years.  I really think that Ed Schilling will land Brooks for 2019 as well.  I'd like to see us add a center.  We're in trouble if Deron has a monster season and leaves early which is possible.   I think he's a better NBA prospect than Bryant was.

Archived