2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and of course, that question was posed by a Toiletmaker fan...no agenda there, I'm sure.

I'm surely not the only one who has noticed that Purdue has become extremely over-confident in football and basketball?  Getting big for their britches.  They are in "minimum eight-peat" mode starting with their coaches.

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm surely not the only one who has noticed that Purdue has become extremely over-confident in football and basketball?  Getting big for their britches.  They are in "minimum eight-peat" mode starting with their coaches.

I've actually become good friends with a few Purdue grads down here. Went to high school with a bunch of solid guys as well. The basketball program is very consistently solid.  Carsen got hot at the right time in the tournament.  Just as easily could've shot 3-26 and been upset in the first round. They're built on defense, which will win a lot of games.  Might be boring to watch,  but effective.  Don't see them getting the top of recruits to make deep runs in the tournament.  (Of course, we haven't made any deep runs ourselves recently)

Football benefits IMMENSELY from playing in the west. Brohm is a good coach, but he's had to beat us in the final game to be bowl eligible.  They did knock off the Buckeyes,  but doing it once at home on a weeknight under those circumstances is much different than playing the east schedule every year. 

I wouldn't be strutting, but I'd surely be more prideful of bowl games and an elite eight appearance. Hope we get there soon!

25 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I've actually become good friends with a few Purdue grads down here. Went to high school with a bunch of solid guys as well. The basketball program is very consistently solid.  Carsen got hot at the right time in the tournament.  Just as easily could've shot 3-26 and been upset in the first round. They're built on defense, which will win a lot of games.  Might be boring to watch,  but effective.  Don't see them getting the top of recruits to make deep runs in the tournament.  (Of course, we haven't made any deep runs ourselves recently)

Football benefits IMMENSELY from playing in the west. Brohm is a good coach, but he's had to beat us in the final game to be bowl eligible.  They did knock off the Buckeyes,  but doing it once at home on a weeknight under those circumstances is much different than playing the east schedule every year. 

I wouldn't be strutting, but I'd surely be more prideful of bowl games and an elite eight appearance. Hope we get there soon!

Purdue absolutely benefits from being in the West but I like how Brohm schedules tough non-conference games to help improve the schedule. I doubt you’ll ever see him schedule multiple cupcakes in non-conference. The stench of Hazell is finally wearing off as there aren’t many players leftover that weren’t recruited by Brohm. I expect around 8 wins this year hopefully.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree re basketball but idk about football. I think most of us are just glad we’re competitive again after 4 years of atrocious football. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue absolutely benefits from being in the West but I like how Brohm schedules tough non-conference games to help improve the schedule. I doubt you’ll ever see him schedule multiple cupcakes in non-conference. The stench of Hazell is finally wearing off as there aren’t many players leftover that weren’t recruited by Brohm. I expect around 8 wins this year hopefully.

That's a good point about Brohm's non-conference scheduling. The guy has swagger.  You can see why major football schools keep sniffing around him when they have an opening.  Think a strong schedule also allows for preparation that can lead to huge upsets if the big boys ever think they have a week off with you.  Unfortunately for you, I don't think you'll be getting overlooked at home anytime soon!

22 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I could see Furst at Purdue and Kaufman at IU. There is plenty of talent in that 2021 class in the state to go around.

We lose the best player in the state to Purdue we will hear about it. I want them both and they could absolutely play together and give us a wonderful front court to pair with a back court of Landers, Leal, and Galloway...not even mentioning guys like Hunter, Rob, Armaan, Race, and Damezi...perhaps TJD even....that’s a strong team.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We lose the best player in the state to Purdue we will hear about it. I want them both and they could absolutely play together and give us a wonderful front court to pair with a back court of Landers, Leal, and Galloway...not even mentioning guys like Hunter, Rob, Armaan, Race, and Damezi...perhaps TJD even....that’s a strong team.

I agree but there is a ton of talent in that class in the state. Also Lander is number 1 in the state and it’s been suggested that Kaufman could pass up Furst. I don’t know if that will happen but I’ve seen it suggested. I would gladly take both but let’s just see what happens over the next couple years.

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I agree but there is a ton of talent in that class in the state. Also Lander is number 1 in the state and it’s been suggested that Kaufman could pass up Furst. I don’t know if that will happen but I’ve seen it suggested. I would gladly take both but let’s just see what happens over the next couple years.

Honestly I like Landers...but I have a hard time seeing him ranked so high..he doesn’t shoot it that great from 3...at least what I’ve seen. I know he is super skilled in other ways but in this day and age a pg that struggles to shoot...that to me has to worry you a bit...driving etc will only be more difficult as he moves up in competition. Furst seems clear number 1 at the moment for me..but that is because bigs are fewer and harder to land.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:06 PM, dgambill said:

Honestly I like Landers...but I have a hard time seeing him ranked so high..he doesn’t shoot it that great from 3...at least what I’ve seen. I know he is super skilled in other ways but in this day and age a pg that struggles to shoot...that to me has to worry you a bit...driving etc will only be more difficult as he moves up in competition. Furst seems clear number 1 at the moment for me..but that is because bigs are fewer and harder to land.

He shot 37% from 3 as a sophomore. That’s pretty good. 

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You can take an extended look at multiple IU targets with game action at the Nike EYBL session 2 in Indy including Furst, Pack, both Powells and Love.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/video-extended-looks-at-iu-basketball-recruits-at-second-nike-eybl-session/

Cooper looked by far the best..that said Jayden Ivey looked most impressive of the rest...that was a great get for Purdue. I like that Furst is playing up because he is getting great experience he won’t get elsewhere. He won’t see bigs like that during the HS season. Pack just looked tiny out there..has a big heart but really struggled to fight through screens.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cooper looked by far the best..that said Jayden Ivey looked most impressive of the rest...that was a great get for Purdue. I like that Furst is playing up because he is getting great experience he won’t get elsewhere. He won’t see bigs like that during the HS season. Pack just looked tiny out there..has a big heart but really struggled to fight through screens.

Agree on Furst.  I watched at least 6 of his games last season and just wasn't that overly impressed and I really expected him to struggle in AAU ball especially playing up.  He's definitely changed my impresssion of his abilities.  

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

According to Evan Daniels we offered 2020 Hassan Diara. Guard who is ranked anywhere from 68 to 99. Crean in on him early. Seems this recruitment is picking up steam. Some of these 2020 guys better start thinking about their decisions..

He is a bulldog. Physical point guard..would fit in good in the B1G. https://247sports.com/Player/Hassan-Diarra-46048465/

also video in the 247 link. Looked at his 3pt stats...4-12 over 8 games...so not a threat but will score and distribute.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Golf carts out in full force on campus today,anybody know if it was basketball related?

As I recall, Anthony Leal and Zack Loveday are on unofficials today and Matt Cross is coming in for an official this weekend.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

As I recall, Anthony Leal and Zack Loveday are on unofficials today and Matt Cross is coming in for an official this weekend.

Ok,im pretty sure it wasnt Leal or Loveday...it looked like Bruiser was driving one the other 2 i couldnt tell

Archived