2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Going to assume it was Cross...maybe he got in early or they had the date wrong? Anyways 4 visitis this week that is s busy week for Archie. Hope to hear a commitment soon.

I'm doing a job on campus this week so I will keep an eye out...it wasn't Cross either.

32 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Austin Van Zyl 2019 6' 5"point guard from Canada via South Africa has been contacted by IU allegedly.

Where are you seeing or hearing this? Not questioning the validity, just curious if there's more info out there.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow!! 2019 kid...that would certainly be a game changer if he is ready to play right away. 

Or, it could be a waste of a scholly we could use over the next couple of classes.  Maybe not a Priller level reach, but if he's still available, he's not RJ Barrett either.

We have to remember this...his stats may not be super impressive but he is playing against a lot better talent then HS basketball players overseas. I haven’t seen enough to know what he is capable of but I guess if Archie is interested their must be something there.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We have to remember this...his stats may not be super impressive but he is playing against a lot better talent then HS basketball players overseas. I haven’t seen enough to know what he is capable of but I guess if Archie is interested their must be something there.

Agree, and Archie specifically said he only wanted to add someone to 2019 if he felt they would be a difference maker. He’s not going to add someone just for the sake of adding them. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, HoosierJax said:

Golf carts out in full force on campus today,anybody know if it was basketball related?

Rumor has it on another website that Austin has made a visit....so good chance with his name surfacing all of a sudden it was him....

I've never been a detective...but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before....

• 2 weeks later...

Golf cart was out and we got to see several players and took a picture with Al Durham.  Had a great tour of athletic facilities with Curt.  Thanks to all that gave me Bloomington recommendations.

Not sure who the recruit was, but he was as tall or taller than TJD. Furst maybe? Armaan and TJD looked like they were helping with recruiting,  and Al's smile and charm were bigger than Lake Monroe.  My kids saw coach Miller and shouted, "daddy, it's coach Archie!".  He smiled and waved, which made their day.

20190614_120645.jpg

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Golf cart was out and we got to see several players and took a picture with Al Durham.  Had a great tour of athletic facilities with Curt.  Thanks to all that gave me Bloomington recommendations.

Not sure who the recruit was, but he was as tall or taller than TJD. Furst maybe? Armaan and TJD looked like they were helping with recruiting,  and Al's smile and charm were bigger than Lake Monroe.  My kids saw coach Miller and shouted, "daddy, it's coach Archie!".  He smiled and waved, which made their day.

20190614_120645.jpg

Sounds like a fabulous day! Happy for your kids. Yes that looks like Furst. Be nice to play next to Trayce...TJD, Furst, Trey brothers (Galloway&Kaufman), Leal, Lander...I can dream at least lol.

57 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Great stuff, @Hoosierinbham...really appreciate you sharing.

I've always been a huge fan of Al...really looking forward to seeing what this summer does for his trajectory.

I honestly think Al will be an all time fan favorite when it’s all said and done. Works his ass off on and off the court, and very personable. 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:41 PM, Coach Robby said:

I honestly think Al will be an all time fan favorite when it’s all said and done. Works his ass off on and off the court, and very personable. 

He is just an incredibly hard working kid. Just wish he had a little more talent/size/athleticism but I think he gives us everything he has and a tenacious defender. Kid doesn’t come out of his stance and hustles to the ball. Everyone talks about Green starting at the 2 but I don’t see it. It’s going to take someone out working him to start over him and I don’t see that being Green. Besides Green has to back up both the 1 and the 2 and will be our scoring punch off the bench which will be critical. Al is a better fit to complement the starters who will have more capable scoring around him and Green who is more capable of getting his own shot would be better off getting looks when there are times we have more offensively challenged lineups on the floor.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He is just an incredibly hard working kid. Just wish he had a little more talent/size/athleticism but I think he gives us everything he has and a tenacious defender. Kid doesn’t come out of his stance and hustles to the ball. Everyone talks about Green starting at the 2 but I don’t see it. It’s going to take someone out working him to start over him and I don’t see that being Green. Besides Green has to back up both the 1 and the 2 and will be our scoring punch off the bench which will be critical. Al is a better fit to complement the starters who will have more capable scoring around him and Green who is more capable of getting his own shot would be better off getting looks when there are times we have more offensively challenged lineups on the floor.

Green is (unfortunately) the best scorer we have on the roster, and it’s not really close.  There’s a 0% chance he’s not starting.

Archived