2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Green is (unfortunately) the best scorer we have on the roster, and it’s not really close.  There’s a 0% chance he’s not starting.

He was a better scorer than Al last year and he didn’t start over him. Unless we go 3 guard lineup like in the NIT and Hunter is still not playing I do expect Green to come off the bench. Al is a much superior defender and that is most important. If I know Archie like I think I’m getting to know him he will start Al. I could be wrong but these guys are all going to avg 25-26 mins a game and it won’t matter so much who starts but we will need that punch off the bench that change of pace Green gives us. We will see.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dgambill said:

He was a better scorer than Al last year and he didn’t start over him. Unless we go 3 guard lineup like in the NIT and Hunter is still not playing I do expect Green to come off the bench. Al is a much superior defender and that is most important. If I know Archie like I think I’m getting to know him he will start Al. I could be wrong but these guys are all going to avg 25-26 mins a game and it won’t matter so much who starts but we will need that punch off the bench that change of pace Green gives us. We will see.

Green will be a starter from day 1 and I do think at least at the start of the season this will be the starting lineup.

RP

Al

Green

Smith

Davis

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Green will be a starter from day 1 and I do think at least at the start of the season this will be the starting lineup.

RP

Al

Green

Smith

Davis

You might be right. If that's the case, I hope it doesn't last long!

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why/ it should depend how well they are playing

Absolutely. I think for the this team to maximize its potential TJD and Jerome, specifically, will need to play well enough to start. I don't want Smith starting just because he has experience or TJD starting because he has 5 *. 

If Hunter doesn’t start it’s going to be a long season. If we are to make the tourney Jerome has to be the gold jersey wearing stud we saw praised early in the season before his medical condition. Kid is a top 50 talent...and in some classes like I’d say the 2020 class could be a 5*. If he is healthy he is our starting 3. 

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Hunter doesn’t start it’s going to be a long season. If we are to make the tourney Jerome has to be the gold jersey wearing stud we saw praised early in the season before his medical condition. Kid is a top 50 talent...and in some classes like I’d say the 2020 class could be a 5*. If he is healthy he is our starting 3. 

If I never hear about Jerome's gold jersey ever again, that would be fine with me. I mean, Devonte Green has a handful of gold jerseys in his closet, but we don't confer any added faith in his abilities because of it. Just a few posts above you don't think he should start over Al Durham.

I'm not posting to call you out specifically or personally; I've seen this same honor referenced by many across multiple messages boards. The gold jersey he won once has become part of this legend of Jerome Hunter that's only grown with time. I just don't believe it has anything near the significance a hopeful fan base wants it to convey.

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

If I never hear about Jerome's gold jersey ever again, that would be fine with me. I mean, Devonte Green has a handful of gold jerseys in his closet, but we don't confer any added faith in his abilities because of it. Just a few posts above you don't think he should start over Al Durham.

I'm not posting to call you out specifically or personally; I've seen this same honor referenced by many across multiple messages boards. The gold jersey he won once has become part of this legend of Jerome Hunter that's only grown with time. I just don't believe it has anything near the significance a hopeful fan base wants it to convey.

About the same significance as any fan’s hopeful faith that DG is going to turn into a dependable contributor for us capable of being a major player in a deep run for us. I’ll believe the Hunter hype when I see it and I’ll believe the DG hype when he starts taking care of the basketball and doesn’t jack up terrible shots on a consistent basis. If we’re knee deep putting our hopes on either of these kids we’re in BIG TIME trouble. 

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Agree. I think the whole Gold Jersey thing get way overblown on here. It's basically a coaching tool to increase competition and motivation in practice, nothing more, nothing less. Morgan even said in one of his post-season interviews that it wasn't that big of a deal to the players and how to win in it was kind of arbitrary. 

It's not a 'who is the best player' thing, it's a 'who had the best week of practice' thing, and practicing the best could mean a variety of different things. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think the whole Gold Jersey thing get way overblown on here. It's basically a coaching tool to increase competition and motivation in practice, nothing more, nothing less. Morgan even said in one of his post-season interviews that it wasn't that big of a deal to the players and how to win in it was kind of arbitrary. 

It's not a 'who is the best player' thing, it's a 'who had the best week of practice' thing, and practicing the best could mean a variety of different things. 

But he got the gold jersey for “hitting a lot of shots,” so I’m pretty sure that means he’s the second coming of Steph Curry.

Just a general question. I check the recruiting board first each day. To me it seemed we hit some momentum a few weeks back  but right now I feel like is zero going on. Any chance we are getting verbals or commits soon? Or are the kids who (and those around them) say they love IU,etc....still waiting to take all trips and sign this fall?

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general question. I check the recruiting board first each day. To me it seemed we hit some momentum a few weeks back  but right now I feel like is zero going on. Any chance we are getting verbals or commits soon? Or are the kids who (and those around them) say they love IU,etc....still waiting to take all trips and sign this fall?

This is just me from what I hear in their interviews and not first hand knowledge but most are wanting to commit before school starts...so it seems to me they are waiting to finish up their AAU circuit and see what final offers come in ...maybe take a visit or two but I’d say by next month we should start seeing commitments. Definitely before their HS season starts for most.

Archived