2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

39 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was going to start a thread on this but here will do. I think kids are just catching on to Cal. He doesn't make players better, if anything kids gets worse at KY. How many top ten players that should have been one and done had to stay multi-years because they didn't improve? Selling the I will get you to the NBA to kids who would get there no matter where they went to school is a joke of a pitch and kids are seeing that.

I think this would be better served in another thread.........'cause it is gonna get long!  Just sayin"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be hard pressed to ever find a coach who could do less with the amount of talent he has on campus every year. Currently his team is full of freshmen and sophomores but he has 8 five star recruits on his roster and two top 100 (one being just outside of a five star at 31) guys on top of that. Eventually this is going to blow up in his face and a disgruntled 5 star recruit will feel wronged and start squawking. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You'd be hard pressed to ever find a coach who could do less with the amount of talent he has on campus every year. Currently his team is full of freshmen and sophomores but he has 8 five star recruits on his roster and two top 100 (one being just outside of a five star at 31) guys on top of that. Eventually this is going to blow up in his face and a disgruntled 5 star recruit will feel wronged and start squawking. 

Rupps Rafters is actually an entertaining read right now. So much Cal distress.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

How many FF's has Cal had while he has been at UK?  And how many players has he put into the NBA?  Not defending him just trying to sort out all the data.

1 minute ago, rico said:

How many FF's has Cal had while he has been at UK?  And how many players has he put into the NBA?  Not defending him just trying to sort out all the data.

4 Final Fours and 1 Championship...I should say "pending" because you have to imagine at least one will have to be vacated eventually.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Cal actually mentioned that during the same presser complaining about Duke. The players he has put into the NBA from UK are worth over a billion dollars. Duke does not have near the NBA talent.

I don't follow the NBA, but the only big time star I can think of from Duke is Irving.  How many does UK have?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I would like to see what UK's NBA numbers as compared to Duke's.

No one, including Duke, has amassed the same amount of 5 star recruits than Cal has in the last 9 seasons at UK. Any coach with that level of talent year after year will see similar success. Duke is just now starting to take over so we'll see what Coach K does with it. That being said in the same time frame Duke has two championships to Kentucky's one and there was no first round exit of the NIT at Duke either. Also, to my knowledge, Duke hasn't recruited a 5 star kid who didn't know how to read and pass him off as an eligible student....see Eric Bledsoe...so on paper UK has a slight edge since Cal took over but at what price?

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

No one, including Duke, has amassed the same amount of 5 star recruits than Cal has in the last 9 seasons at UK. Any coach with that level of talent year after year will see similar success. Duke is just now starting to take over so we'll see what Coach K does with it. That being said in the same time frame Duke has two championships to Kentucky's one and there was no first round exit of the NIT at Duke either. Also, to my knowledge, Duke hasn't recruited a 5 star kid who didn't know how to read and pass him off as an eligible student....see Eric Bledsoe...so on paper UK has a slight edge since Cal took over but at what price?

That ain't really what I was asking.  Let me try to phrase it better.  How many stars has Cal put in the NBA as compared to K.  In the time frame that Cal has been at Kentucky.

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

31 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

Duke is at the pinnacle of recruiting in college basketball. I suppose it is possible that one day Archie is that kind of recruiter, but we are way too far away from that at the moment for it to be a realistic expectation. 

What I do expect is for Archie to be able to sell the guys he wants on his concept. And he'll be able to lock down the state for the most part. Ideally I would like to see us like Kansas, with over a decade straight of winning the conference, but the B1G is too tough for that. I expect Archie to keep us perennially in the top 4 of the B1G once he gets it rolling. And he's going to do that by bringing in four star recruits, with the occasional five star. Ideally one per class, but I'm not sure that is a fair expectation at this point.

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

He’ll still push them out because he’s made promises to the new guys coming in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived