2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Indykev said:

My fear is he doesn't want to be CWats little brother and goes somewhere else.

Same here. The Watford family will always have a special place at IU but I do recognize the chance that TW might want to navigate his own path. If he chooses that route I hope it's for a better opportunity. Not just choosing something else for the sake of it. 

I still think the home school wins out on this one.

On 9/14/2017 at 3:55 AM, dbmhoosier said:

You can't take an academic scholarship and play on the team. 

Not completely accurate, at least at my last understanding of the rules.

If IU has done any recruitment whatsoever of the player, they are ineligible to receive an academic scholarship and play IUBB.  If we haven't reached out, they could potentially.

Think of it another way: you're a dynamite player who decides to drop the game and go to IU like a normal student.  Two years in, we're in a Mike Santa situation and need you to suit up as a walk-on.  You wouldn't be required to drop your well-earned academic scholarship.

5 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Not completely accurate, at least at my last understanding of the rules.

If IU has done any recruitment whatsoever of the player, they are ineligible to receive an academic scholarship and play IUBB.  If we haven't reached out, they could potentially.

Think of it another way: you're a dynamite player who decides to drop the game and go to IU like a normal student.  Two years in, we're in a Mike Santa situation and need you to suit up as a walk-on.  You wouldn't be required to drop your well-earned academic scholarship.

This is my understanding as well.  

On 9/14/2017 at 4:55 AM, dbmhoosier said:

You can't take an academic scholarship and play on the team. 

That is true.  Even going further.  If a school has ever recruited a kid, even reaching out once, then that kid cannot accept an academic scholarship and walk on.  That's why Michael Jordan's kid was able to walk on with an academic scholarship at Illinois several years back.... because Bruce Weber never recruited him. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hopefully a lot better than Crean's in home visit with Kyrie Irving went.

The Irving in home was more on Roshawn McLeod, than on Crean. McLeod was thought to be lead recruiter. But in reality he was working against Crean.  Deliberately showed up late for the in home. And made up a lame excuse for not being on time.  Later, Crean found out he had a rat.... and fired McLeod.

In terms of Garland.... hearing things are going just fine. 

2 hours ago, bstall76 said:

Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout

Following

More

Bill Self and Archie Miller will be in tomorrow to see five-star 2019 forward Matt Hurt http://www.scout.com/Player/Matthew-Hurt-87062 …

7:26 PM - 18 Sep 2017

I like this one. The kid I want most in 19'.

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The Irving in home was more on Roshawn McLeod, than on Crean. McLeod was thought to be lead recruiter. But in reality he was working against Crean.  Deliberately showed up late for the in home. And made up a lame excuse for not being on time.  Later, Crean found out he had a rat.... and fired McLeod.

In terms of Garland.... hearing things are going just fine. 

Do you know if McLeod was a rat from day 1? Or did something happen during the working relationship that turned McLeod against him?

Haven't heard anything about him since he left.

53 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Do you know if McLeod was a rat from day 1? Or did something happen during the working relationship that turned McLeod against him?

Haven't heard anything about him since he left.

Not sure when McLeod turned on Crean.  He was on staff for nearly two years, so could have done unsuspected damage long before Irving (who just got traded to the Celtics)

McLeod has bounced around since being fired from IU.  Nothing major.  Currently coaching at a private school in Georgia. 

In the end, he may have done more damage to his own reputation, than IU's BB program.

Archived