Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Indykev

2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

31 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

Duke is at the pinnacle of recruiting in college basketball. I suppose it is possible that one day Archie is that kind of recruiter, but we are way too far away from that at the moment for it to be a realistic expectation. 

What I do expect is for Archie to be able to sell the guys he wants on his concept. And he'll be able to lock down the state for the most part. Ideally I would like to see us like Kansas, with over a decade straight of winning the conference, but the B1G is too tough for that. I expect Archie to keep us perennially in the top 4 of the B1G once he gets it rolling. And he's going to do that by bringing in four star recruits, with the occasional five star. Ideally one per class, but I'm not sure that is a fair expectation at this point.

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

You'd be hard pressed to ever find a coach who could do less with the amount of talent he has on campus every year. Currently his team is full of freshmen and sophomores but he has 8 five star recruits on his roster and two top 100 (one being just outside of a five star at 31) guys on top of that. Eventually this is going to blow up in his face and a disgruntled 5 star recruit will feel wronged and start squawking. 

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

He’ll still push them out because he’s made promises to the new guys coming in. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He’ll still push them out because he’s made promises to the new guys coming in. 

He only has 3 guys coming in.  And only like 2 of the top 20 remain and Romeo isn't going to UK.  

Five of the best 6 players from those two schools came from UK.  There's no debate over which team has better NBA players currently.  

Some highlights from next year’s recruits.  Phinisee’s numbers this season are just crazy, 30 points/6 assists/6 rebounds/4 steals a game...

For anyone who follows IU on Facebook, they are live for the last Thursday night event of the year.  Fish said CAM was only available by phone because he was out recruiting, and he can’t say where 🧐

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

For anyone who follows IU on Facebook, they are live for the last Thursday night event of the year.  Fish said CAM was only available by phone because he was out recruiting, and he can’t say where 🧐

Thanks for sharing. Can't say where Archie is either.  Because I just don't know.  However, I will share with you and HSN 3.0.... that CAM is getting very concerned with the inroads others seem to be making with TJ-D.   Once thought to be an IU lock..... is no longer considered that.  And Archie is doing his best to shore that recruitment back up again.

• Like 1

I actually work with a guy who lives near Davis (Indianapolis).  His kids play driveway ball with him from time to time.  My peer is in no way an insider, but does ask Davis where he is going to school every time he sees him.  Davis always says he hasn’t decided, nothing more.  He also says JT-D is as nice if a kid you will ever meet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for sharing. Can't say where Archie is either.  Because I just don't know.  However, I will share with you and HSN 3.0.... that CAM is getting very concerned with the inroads others seem to be making with TJ-D.   Once thought to be an IU lock..... is no longer considered that.  And Archie is doing his best to shore that recruitment back up again.

I've been saying this for a while. From what I hear, TJD is continually being attracted by each "new, shiny school" that recruits him. On a somewhat positive note, although he is easily swayed right now, none of the schools attracting his attention seem to be getting nearly as strong a reaction as IU did when he almost committed. I think the longer his recruitment goes and the more success IU has on the court and with recruiting the better IU's chances are. 

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He was watching Culver Academy (Trey Galloway).

Per a friend of mine that works at Vincennes University,  Archie was at the VU game tonight.  Anybody know who he might be scouting?

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Looks like the face of a man not concerned about the recent scandal news in college basketball.

should him being in southern Indiana tonight checking out a 2018 guard not named Romeo concern us though?

27 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

should him being in southern Indiana tonight checking out a 2018 guard not named Romeo concern us though?

I don't think so. We have at least two open scholarships and Archie would know if we might have more. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think so. We have at least two open scholarships and Archie would know if we might have more. 

Right...could be more then 2 Scholarships open by late spring

We do have two scholarships and I would have no problem with bringing in another guard even with Romeo. I had always assumed a 5th year transfer, but who knows. I will be honest, I have tried to stay pretty neutral on my feelings on whether we land Romeo or not but this doesn’t help.