Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Indykev

2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Recommended Posts

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Guys, can we try and get back on topic about CAM and his recruiting. I know Calipari does less with more.

I was wanting to address what you feel will be CAM's recruiting pitch or strategy going forward. If you want to talk KY. or Duke players, please create a separate thread. I think CAM can create the kind of recruiting environment Coach K has, because he has such a high coaching intellect, and ultimately that is what players to Duke I believe. High Coaching intellect means players and teams get better!

Duke is at the pinnacle of recruiting in college basketball. I suppose it is possible that one day Archie is that kind of recruiter, but we are way too far away from that at the moment for it to be a realistic expectation. 

What I do expect is for Archie to be able to sell the guys he wants on his concept. And he'll be able to lock down the state for the most part. Ideally I would like to see us like Kansas, with over a decade straight of winning the conference, but the B1G is too tough for that. I expect Archie to keep us perennially in the top 4 of the B1G once he gets it rolling. And he's going to do that by bringing in four star recruits, with the occasional five star. Ideally one per class, but I'm not sure that is a fair expectation at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

You'd be hard pressed to ever find a coach who could do less with the amount of talent he has on campus every year. Currently his team is full of freshmen and sophomores but he has 8 five star recruits on his roster and two top 100 (one being just outside of a five star at 31) guys on top of that. Eventually this is going to blow up in his face and a disgruntled 5 star recruit will feel wronged and start squawking. 

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

or the flip side of the coin is 4 or 5 of these guys return, add them with a few more 5 star freshman, and now you have amassed talent and experience.  I know Cal literally pushes these kids out the door but if their draft stock tanks in a season like this, some of them may elect to stick around.  When they recently won the title he had a mix of both.  

He’ll still push them out because he’s made promises to the new guys coming in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He’ll still push them out because he’s made promises to the new guys coming in. 

He only has 3 guys coming in.  And only like 2 of the top 20 remain and Romeo isn't going to UK.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five of the best 6 players from those two schools came from UK.  There's no debate over which team has better NBA players currently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some highlights from next year’s recruits.  Phinisee’s numbers this season are just crazy, 30 points/6 assists/6 rebounds/4 steals a game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who follows IU on Facebook, they are live for the last Thursday night event of the year.  Fish said CAM was only available by phone because he was out recruiting, and he can’t say where 🧐

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

For anyone who follows IU on Facebook, they are live for the last Thursday night event of the year.  Fish said CAM was only available by phone because he was out recruiting, and he can’t say where 🧐

Thanks for sharing. Can't say where Archie is either.  Because I just don't know.  However, I will share with you and HSN 3.0.... that CAM is getting very concerned with the inroads others seem to be making with TJ-D.   Once thought to be an IU lock..... is no longer considered that.  And Archie is doing his best to shore that recruitment back up again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually work with a guy who lives near Davis (Indianapolis).  His kids play driveway ball with him from time to time.  My peer is in no way an insider, but does ask Davis where he is going to school every time he sees him.  Davis always says he hasn’t decided, nothing more.  He also says JT-D is as nice if a kid you will ever meet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for sharing. Can't say where Archie is either.  Because I just don't know.  However, I will share with you and HSN 3.0.... that CAM is getting very concerned with the inroads others seem to be making with TJ-D.   Once thought to be an IU lock..... is no longer considered that.  And Archie is doing his best to shore that recruitment back up again.

I've been saying this for a while. From what I hear, TJD is continually being attracted by each "new, shiny school" that recruits him. On a somewhat positive note, although he is easily swayed right now, none of the schools attracting his attention seem to be getting nearly as strong a reaction as IU did when he almost committed. I think the longer his recruitment goes and the more success IU has on the court and with recruiting the better IU's chances are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for sharing. Can't say where Archie is either.  Because I just don't know.  However, I will share with you and HSN 3.0.... that CAM is getting very concerned with the inroads others seem to be making with TJ-D.   Once thought to be an IU lock..... is no longer considered that.  And Archie is doing his best to shore that recruitment back up again.

He was watching Culver Academy (Trey Galloway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per a friend of mine that works at Vincennes University,  Archie was at the VU game tonight.  Anybody know who he might be scouting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Looks like the face of a man not concerned about the recent scandal news in college basketball.

should him being in southern Indiana tonight checking out a 2018 guard not named Romeo concern us though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

should him being in southern Indiana tonight checking out a 2018 guard not named Romeo concern us though?

I don't think so. We have at least two open scholarships and Archie would know if we might have more. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think so. We have at least two open scholarships and Archie would know if we might have more. 

Right...could be more then 2 Scholarships open by late spring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do have two scholarships and I would have no problem with bringing in another guard even with Romeo. I had always assumed a 5th year transfer, but who knows. I will be honest, I have tried to stay pretty neutral on my feelings on whether we land Romeo or not but this doesn’t help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×