2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. 5 star stud commit for Syracuse (Darius Bazley) decommits from them today. Playing in G league next year. Talk about a blow to a recruiting class. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

I watched him against New Albany on TV and the other day and was not to impressed with him.  He was pretty much invisible during the All American game so I don't know what he was thinking.  I just don't get why these kids would rather play for a low salary in front of 1,000 people instead of 20,00 people and a national audience.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I watched him against New Albany on TV and the other day and was not to impressed with him.  He was pretty much invisible during the All American game so I don't know what he was thinking.  I just don't get why these kids would rather play for a low salary in front of 1,000 people instead of 20,00 people and a national audience.

Few reasons. They are working on game every day with professional players without worries of attending a class they have zero interest in, risk of injury derailing draft/hype status and the most important one. $....what seems like low salary to some is lottery to others. 

I knew one pretty high profile recruit via a coach in Chicago growing up. He ended up at Illinois. Let's just say having to worry about your electricity being shut off every day for months in Chicago winters isn't the best environment. Or even better reason...gang infested streets/corners that threaten a kid each day if he doesn't keep it real and remember the guys from the neighborhood when he makes it big. Getting the family out sooner rather than later is safe. 

$2,000 per month and and most of your expenses paid for isn't the worse way to help a family out. I have no clue the background of this Bazley kid. He's been in multiple high schools, said yes to Ohio St, Cuse..backed out of both. Just a stab here but it sounds like the home life may not be the most stable. 

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So they dont get in trouble for the 100k they getting from agents etc...

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

So they dont get in trouble for the 100k they getting from agents etc...

I was just thinking the same...with the FBI raining down on college programs, you may see more and more of the 1 & dones skip college altogether if they know they can't get paid any longer.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I was just thinking the same...with the FBI raining down on college programs, you may see more and more of the 1 & dones skip college altogether if they know they can't get paid any longer.

Why not. Why go to college and take a pay cut. The shoe companies will still go after them if they can

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why not. Why go to college and take a pay cut. The shoe companies will still go after them if they can

That’s an interesting thought that hadn’t occurred to me.  The max salary in the G League is only $26,000, but I wonder if this Bazley kid will get an endorsement deal.  Would seem to be a good investment from the shoe companies’ perspective, considering he’s the first high-level prospect to do this.  A couple hundred grand from a shoe company, with no eligibility or legal issues attached, would make going the G League route a lot more attractive.

19 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and so it begins...

This has been a discussion for awhile about burger boys skipping college to go straight to the G league or overseas.  I'm sure a lot of recruits will have their eyes on his progress to the league.

Yes I think we’ll start seeing more of this, that’s definitely an objective of the G League.

And maybe that will be a good thing, with some players who treat college as a layover having a viable option. Could help limit the dirty underside of college ball while possibly helping rejuvenate college loyalty and rooting for players who are actually part of the school 

Taking a break from “Romeo Watch” and wanted to pose the question to HSN: rank 1 thru 4 of the players in 2019 who you want to sign with the Hoosiers. 

1. Jackson-Davis: the term “potential” is frequently overused, but with that being said, this guy oozes it. He will be a 3 year player with the possibility of becoming an elite big man as he develops inside post moves and a consistent shot. His ability to time block shots places him as a cornerstone player for Archie’s defensive first mindset. 

2. Matthew Hurt: a more polished Cody Zeller. He will likely be a one and done. Tough get with all other blue bloods prioritizing him. His tape is phenomenal. 

3. DJ Carton: High IQ guard with length and can shoot. Would be an excellent addition to fill the vacated spot of Romeo (*crosses fingers*). 

4. Keion Brooks/Trendon Watford: I’ll be honest in saying Brooks scares me. He was poorly utilized this year but the drama between the head coach and his family mid year makes me hesitate. Watching Keion play against Romeo, there was a significant difference in the competitive level. Romeo was locked in with a refusal to lose mentality, whereas keion looked like he was going through the motions and just trying to get his. Brooks will be a good role player but his talent appears to be leveling off over the past year. Watford appears to be down to Alabama and everyone else. Gifted scorer and winner similar to his brother.  Hope to get one of these two. 

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Respect your opinion. But I would be shocked if TJD is in college more than 2 years. He's really good.

We have more of a shot than people think with Hurt. He would be an awesome get, but I wouldn't say I'm confident. 

Wouldn't mind DJ, he will be a solid player, but I want Cole Anthony. Archie loves him. I hope we get an official visit. I'd actually be surprised if we didn't. 

No offense, but we hear this with virtually every top 150 recruit we get. I agree, he's really good. But to say right now he's a 1-2 year player is a major leap.

Hanner Perea was going to be a one and done as well.

12 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Thats fair. However, Hanners ranking was based on athleticism. Thats it. 

TJD in my opinion is a pretty polished player, and also has pretty solid fundamentals. His footwork is pretty impressive for a big man.

Agreed 100%. With the NBA drafting on potential as much as anything, it's hard to say who's one and done and who's not. College success means close to nothing anymore.

I think TJD will be a great player, but he's got a lot to work on. Strength, jump shot, etc. He's definitely got the tools though. Probably the #1 player I'd want in 2019.

54 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Taking a break from “Romeo Watch” and wanted to pose the question to HSN: rank 1 thru 4 of the players in 2019 who you want to sign with the Hoosiers. 

1. Jackson-Davis: the term “potential” is frequently overused, but with that being said, this guy oozes it. He will be a 3 year player with the possibility of becoming an elite big man as he develops inside post moves and a consistent shot. His ability to time block shots places him as a cornerstone player for Archie’s defensive first mindset. 

2. Matthew Hurt: a more polished Cody Zeller. He will likely be a one and done. Tough get with all other blue bloods prioritizing him. His tape is phenomenal. 

3. DJ Carton: High IQ guard with length and can shoot. Would be an excellent addition to fill the vacated spot of Romeo (*crosses fingers*). 

4. Keion Brooks/Trendon Watford: I’ll be honest in saying Brooks scares me. He was poorly utilized this year but the drama between the head coach and his family mid year makes me hesitate. Watching Keion play against Romeo, there was a significant difference in the competitive level. Romeo was locked in with a refusal to lose mentality, whereas keion looked like he was going through the motions and just trying to get his. Brooks will be a good role player but his talent appears to be leveling off over the past year. Watford appears to be down to Alabama and everyone else. Gifted scorer and winner similar to his brother.  Hope to get one of these two. 

I think I might be most excited about getting Hurt.  You’re absolutely right, he looks like a beast on tape from what I’ve seen.  Have to think having his high school buddy Race on the team helps our chances.

20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I might be most excited about getting Hurt.  You’re absolutely right, he looks like a beast on tape from what I’ve seen.  Have to think having his high school buddy Race on the team helps our chances.

Do we really have a chance at this guy though?

3 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Do we really have a chance at this guy though?

Your guess is as good as mine.  I know he was on campus before the season started tweeting about how he and Race would be the best frontcourt in the nation in 2019, but I haven’t seen any updates connecting him to IU for a while.

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Your guess is as good as mine.  I know he was on campus before the season started tweeting about how he and Race would be the best frontcourt in the nation in 2019, but I haven’t seen any updates connecting him to IU for a while.

Maybe things will pick up with him.  Would be a great get.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

No offense, but we hear this with virtually every top 150 recruit we get. I agree, he's really good. But to say right now he's a 1-2 year player is a major leap.

But TJD is a top 30 Big. No way he is in college 3 years.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Jackson Davis if he came to IU would not be here more than 2 years. Mark it down. Book it. Kid is really really good. Hanner couldn't hold his jock strap. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I talked to Race earlier this year and told him we wanted Hurt bad. He just laughed and smiled. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Looks like Archie had an in home visit with Old Dominion grad transfer Trey Porter. 6'11 and 225. Looks good size/strong. Don't know anything else about him.

Good. While I think we need a shooting guard/point guard more, this kid would fit Archie well.

If De'Ron isn't conditioned/ready, we are going to be thin/inexperienced up front.

36 minutes ago, ephul said:

Good. While I think we need a shooting guard/point guard more, this kid would fit Archie well.

If De'Ron isn't conditioned/ready, we are going to be thin/inexperienced up front.

Eh, I don’t think that’s necessarily true, especially in today’s game.  We’ll have a senior Juwan and a sophomore Smith who  was a starter for half the year.  Then you add in Thompson, who should be ready to contribute after his redshirt year, and a sophomore Moore who hopefully will see some improvement.  Then whatever Forrester and Hunter are able to give us will be a bonus.  I think getting a guard is a much more pressing need.  We’re still going to have a serious lack of shooters.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Eh, I don’t think that’s necessarily true, especially in today’s game.  We’ll have a senior Juwan and a sophomore Smith who  was a starter for half the year.  Then you add in Thompson, who should be ready to contribute after his redshirt year, and a sophomore Moore who hopefully will see some improvement.  Then whatever Forrester and Hunter are able to give us will be a bonus.  I think getting a guard is a much more pressing need.  We’re still going to have a serious lack of shooters.

Smith is a 4, or a 3 for that matter. Thompson has never played an NCAA game. Same with Forrester. Moore is completely raw, we have no idea how much he'll improve. Hunter is expecting to play 2-4. Davis is coming off a serious injury, and really didn't look that great defensively when he was out there.... Experience is needed in the front court.

Agree 100% that the lack of shooters is the more pressing need. No doubt. But if Archie feels there really isn't a guard out there worth getting, may as well fill the scholarship with this kid.

Archived