2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

LOL?  He would be flat out murdered on the defensive end as a three.  He is no where close to being a three at this level.  Ask Romeo and how Romeo flat out murdered him.  Most kids in college at the 3 are essentially bigger guards.  Jerome Hunter is your better option as a 3.  He isn't a two either.  Getting flashbacks from the Crean era.  

Ummm I don’t consider Romeo as a 3 and I’m not sure who does?? Pretty sure he will be playing SG and he is listed as a shooting guard in every recruiting service there is.. and like I said brooks at SG would be pushing it so not sure what your arguing point is there lol. Jerome hunter is a 3 yes. Kion Brooks will no doubt play college ball as a 3 and will probably slid over at times and play some 4 in smaller lineups. KBJ is listed in every service as a SF which is 3.. one more thing while I’m here. I agree with you that Kion is a little slower than someone like Jerome with his feet but I’ve never heard of a player going into a major college program and becoming less athletic. Cliff Marshall will have him moving a lot better in short time. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Ummm I don’t consider Romeo as a 3 and I’m not sure who does?? Pretty sure he will be playing SG and he is listed as a shooting guard in every recruiting service there is.. and like I said brooks at SG would be pushing it so not sure what your arguing point is there lol. Jerome hunter is a 3 yes. Kion Brooks will no doubt play college ball as a 3 and will probably slid over at times and play some 4 in smaller lineups. KBJ is listed in every service as a SF which is 3.. one more thing while I’m here. I agree with you that Kion is a little slower than someone like Jerome with his feet but I’ve never heard of a player going into a major college program and becoming less athletic. Cliff Marshall will have him moving a lot better in short time. 

Romeo is also listed as a guard on the official roster. 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

For some reason, this post made me think of how awesome it would be to have a 7 man rotation of Phinisee/Green, Romeo, Hunter/Brooks, Smith, and TJD in 2019...

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Mentioned Al in my first post.  Honestly, he doesn’t change the calculus for me much — decent bench role player.  And really, I don’t necessarily disagree that those three can make up a “fairly legit” backcourt in 2019 in the absolute best case scenario.  But I don’t see them making up a “great” backcourt in any event, which is what I want to see.  

And as for Hunter and Brooks, like Realist said, there’s a big difference between “wanting to” and “ability.”  Either way, those two will most likely never be true guards — they’re scoring wings.  Players like that are absolutely necessary to have on the roster.  But I think we definitely need another guard like Bouknight or Newman in 2019, and hopefully an elite guard in 2020, to complement their skill sets if we really want to be national contenders.

The staff wasn’t willing to promise carton a starting role so obviously they are really high on at least one of our guard options. It’s odd that you would bring up a yogi Struggling as a sophomore and not remember his limitations as a freshmen. 

Min regards to Al great teams take freshmen bench players and turn them into starters. Other than Duke and Kentucky that is. Al had one big hole I his game hopefully he has worked on it. 

Brooks and Hunter want to learn the 2 because it helps their pro prospects. Their bodies don’t strictly prohibit them to play it. Odds are good that at least one of them is going to alter their game enough to play it. Brooks is an inch taller than Romeo and basically the same weight. He needs to work on his ball handling and speed. But he’s got 15 months of excellent coaching to do that. 

And frankly with a natural ball handler like Phinisee our SG won’t be doing that much ball handling. Imagine playing Brooks, Hunter, Smith and TJD. That is a final four quality team there as long as your PG defends and doesn’t turn it over. Something Al and Phinisee can do. Green jury is still out. 

21 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Brooks isn't a SG. He isn't a 3 at this level.  He doesn't have the foot speed on the defensive end and the ball handling on the offensive end.  I highly doubt he plays any other position than the 4 at the college level.  Saying and doing are two different things.  Right now, Brooks is not close to being a 2 or a 3. 

Brooks measured 6'-6.5" and 186 lbs.  I sure don't see him playing the 4 in the Big 10.  How in the hell is he a highly ranked 5* recruit?  I wonder if he considers himself a one and done.

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Brooks measured 6'-6.5" and 186 lbs.  I sure don't see him playing the 4 in the Big 10.  How in the hell is he a highly ranked 5* recruit?  I wonder if he considers himself a one and done.

I don’t necessarily see him at the 4 either, but the kid just turned 18 a couple weeks ago.  He has the frame that projects to filling out.  Romeo has grown an inch or so and put on 25+ lbs since this time last year.

3 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

I don’t necessarily see him at the 4 either, but the kid just turned 18 a couple weeks ago.  He has the frame that projects to filling out.  Romeo has grown an inch or so and put on 25+ lbs since this time last year.

😂😂 you don’t think those roster heights and weights were a bit of a stretch?? Ro looks bigger but not 25lbs+

2 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

😂😂 you don’t think those roster heights and weights were a bit of a stretch?? Ro looks bigger but not 25lbs+

They may tack on a few lbs.  I want to say he was 185 going into senior year.  Also thinking he was around 205 at initial weigh in beginning of June this summer.  Now listed at 215 on the roster.  🤷🏻‍♂️

247 has updated their 2019 rankings:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Isaiah Stewart - #7

Matthew Hurt - #8

Keion Brooks - #12

Trayce Jackson-Davis - #14

Tre Mann - #23

Zeke Nnaji - #31

Jahmius Ramsey - #34

Trendon Watford - #36 (dropped 20 spots and a star ranking)

Anthony Harris - #59

James Bouknight - #73

Brandon Newman - #117

Armaan Franklin - #154

ESPN updated their 2019 Top 100:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2019

Of note:

Isaiah Stewart - #4

Matthew Hurt - #6

Trayce Jackson-Davis - #16

Trendon Watford - #23

Jahmius Ramsey - #28

Tre Mann - #30

Keion Brooks - #33

Zeke Nnaji - #37

Anthony Harris - #74

James Bouknight - #87

Not listed - Brandon Newman, Armaan Franklin