2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, CoachSS said:

I think the fact the first offer in 2020 was to an out-of-state player speaks to the state's standing within this one, specific age group. 

Ivey, Galloway, Leal, Coleman and Majak will all end up at P6 schools but I truly only believe one of them will have an Indiana offer. 

On paper (a dangerous presupposition), this looks to be a 3-man class at max. And I'm adamant with people I chat with that a big man is an absolute must. Outside of that, Indiana will want to look at a SG and some other wing types. 

I don't think PG will be a huge need in this class but I could see a 3-man crop of SG / Wing / PF-C

Ultimately, Leal and Galloway could be duking it out for the SG spot.  

Great info coach!! I agree just from looking at the net we have cast for this class it seems to be a wider net. Great thing about what is happening at IU is that we are building a pretty elite standing again in the state for our own recruits. If a kid breaks out late our offer will still have great value to them. If we have the momentum that it looks like we will have Indiana kids that we may get on late will still want to come here. Looking at what we would lose going into the 20 class obviously Fitz is gone this year and Davis would be next. At this point that basically leaves Moore our only true center with possibly TJD or Stewart IF we land them. We should be ok at PF but to have a true shot blocker/defender to play the 5 and be ready to contribute in the next few years it would be important to get one out of that class. Seeing as how long it takes to develop them *unless you luck into the a top 10 guy we would have to stagger bigs almost every year it would seem.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, CoachSS said:

Franklin can be groomed at PG over time should Carton pick Michigan. Still, Franklin would have to pop for IU. 

And Landers seems like a top PG in 2021 who likes Indiana quite a bit. 

Phinisee is a star in the making in my opinion. A very good college PG who will be surrounded by other, better talented players that can do the bulk of the scoring. 

I'd feel a whole lot more confident about our PG situation if we land Carton. I think he is a guy that plays maybe two years so another point guard I would like to have. If it's just Phinisee...I just worry about our depth. God forbid he go down with an injury. Imagine how bad our teams would have been during the Yogi era if he missed significant time. I know we have plenty of combo style depth...but I fear that would leave us with a back court that looked very eerily similar to the Newkirk/Johnson/Durham/Green back court we had this past year....and frankly I hope we never see those dark days again lol. There is a HUGE difference from a true PG running a team and having a combo/shooting guard run it. Just the leadership and vision and decision making I don't think it can be quantified how important a true pg means to a team. I'd hate to rely on having just one on the roster.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. Up on twitter now but Vic hanging at Peach Jam with Archie. That can't hurt one bit on the recruiting trail. 

It’s hilarious that Vic recruits for the guy who didn’t coach him at Indiana more than he recruits for the guy who did at Georgia. But he’s an IU guy over everything else.  Also a smart business decision for him now that he’s on the Pacers.  Associating with the IU program is good for his brand.  And it’s GREAT for Archie.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s hilarious that Vic recruits for the guy who didn’t coach him at Indiana more than he recruits for the guy who did at Georgia. But he’s an IU guy over everything else.  Also a smart business decision for him now that he’s on the Pacers.  Associating with the IU program is good for his brand.  And it’s GREAT for Archie.

Its not the name on the back of the coaching shirt its the one on the front that matters.😁

• 2 weeks later...

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-top-five-classes-josh-green-wendell-carter

When the smoke clears, rank your projected top 5 team recruiting rankings.

For the fifth spot, it is a total toss-up and could be any one of these programs if they land a majority of their targets. Memphis, UConn, Indiana, Michigan State, North Carolina or Kansas.

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I am very impressed with the number of high profile players we are in on. Archie is getting to a place where the in state kids of the future are going to have to pull the trigger early or miss the boat. 

Looking st our guard options if we were to lose Franklin to Purdue and get any of the other guards in that group I would be fine with that. 

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, FKIM01 said:

I know Archie wants him, but Newman doing a spring decision makes it considerably less likely his scholarship will still be there.  I don't see Archie holding it for a maybe.

Who knows...maybe we have Newman all wrong...maybe he wanted to get a jump start to replace Romeo for us next year and he will commit earlier. I think he could easily start for us if he continues to improve at the rate he has been. Then he would be in a good position to make that jump to the NBA in a couple years if the plan falls into place.

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What I have been saying all along. 

Disagree with this take.  The number one thing that’s been killing IU since Yogi graduated is a lack of reliable ballhandlers.  Scoring wings are great to have, but look at the best teams in college basketball — most of them are getting consistent, high-level guard play.  Phinisee, Green, and Durham are probably not a championship-level backcourt in 19-20.  I think landing a quality guard is a must in the 19 class.

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Disagree with this take.  The number one thing that’s been killing IU since Yogi graduated is a lack of reliable ballhandlers.  Scoring wings are great to have, but look at the best teams in college basketball — most of them are getting consistent, high-level guard play.  Phinisee, Green, and Durham are probably not a championship-level backcourt in 19-20.  I think landing a quality guard is a must in the 19 class.

The two years since Yogi graduated?  

Phinisee is an amazing ball handler. And if we get Brooks it’s pretty apparent he’s wanting to play some time at SG. 

And Green proved he could be an absolute stud last year. He just has to become consistent. If Archie can’t do that by year 3 then I am going to be concerned. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Phinisee is an amazing ball handler. And if we get Brooks it’s pretty apparent he’s wanting to play some time at SG. 

And Green proved he could be an absolute stud last year. He just has to become consistent. If Archie can’t do that by year 3 then I am going to be concerned. 

Brooks isn't a SG. He isn't a 3 at this level.  He doesn't have the foot speed on the defensive end and the ball handling on the offensive end.  I highly doubt he plays any other position than the 4 at the college level.  Saying and doing are two different things.  Right now, Brooks is not close to being a 2 or a 3. 

Just now, IU_Realist said:

Brooks isn't a SG. He isn't a 3 at this level.  He doesn't have the foot speed on the defensive end and the ball handling on the offensive end.  I highly doubt he plays any other position than the 4 at the college level.  

?? Lol he will definitely be a 3...  A SG ya that’s probably pushing it. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep, those two years.  Phinisee should be a solid player (amazing might be stretching it), but he’ll still only be a sophomore in 19-20.  Coincidentally, see Yogi’s sophomore year for an example of an even more talented sophomore guard struggling in a subpar backcourt.  

And Green just hasn’t shown anything indicating we can rely on him up to this point.  Not to say that he’ll never get there, but a lot of players never figure it out, regardless of what the coach does.  And even if both Phinisee and Green max out their potential, that’s still an awfully thin guard rotation.

Finally, just lol at yet another claim that Brooks is going to be a guard in college.  Might as well start calling him Keion Curry.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, those two years.  Phinisee should be a solid player (amazing might be stretching it), but he’ll still only be a sophomore in 19-20.  Coincidentally, see Yogi’s sophomore year for an example of an even more talented sophomore guard struggling in a subpar backcourt.  

And Green just hasn’t shown anything indicating we can rely on him up to this point.  Not to say that he’ll never get there, but a lot of players never figure it out, regardless of what the coach does.  And even if both Phinisee and Green max out their potential, that’s still an awfully thin guard rotation.

Finally, just lol at yet another claim that Brooks is going to be a guard in college.  Might as well start calling him Keion Curry.

Why did you leave Al out of the rotation? A senior, Junior and sophomore if your coach is doing his job should be a fairly legit backcourt  

Silly me for thinking of the kid that played some guard in AAU and just transferred to a prep school so he doesn’t always have to play in the front court might be interested in playing more of a 2 role. Craziness 

Not to mention that Hunter is also wanting to play some 2. 

54 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

?? Lol he will definitely be a 3...  A SG ya that’s probably pushing it. 

LOL?  He would be flat out murdered on the defensive end as a three.  He is no where close to being a three at this level.  Ask Romeo and how Romeo flat out murdered him.  Most kids in college at the 3 are essentially bigger guards.  Jerome Hunter is your better option as a 3.  He isn't a two either.  Getting flashbacks from the Crean era.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why did you leave Al out of the rotation? A senior, Junior and sophomore if your coach is doing his job should be a fairly legit backcourt  

Silly me for thinking of the kid that played some guard in AAU and just transferred to a prep school so he doesn’t always have to play in the front court might be interested in playing more of a 2 role. Craziness 

Not to mention that Hunter is also wanting to play some 2. 

Mentioned Al in my first post.  Honestly, he doesn’t change the calculus for me much — decent bench role player.  And really, I don’t necessarily disagree that those three can make up a “fairly legit” backcourt in 2019 in the absolute best case scenario.  But I don’t see them making up a “great” backcourt in any event, which is what I want to see.  

And as for Hunter and Brooks, like Realist said, there’s a big difference between “wanting to” and “ability.”  Either way, those two will most likely never be true guards — they’re scoring wings.  Players like that are absolutely necessary to have on the roster.  But I think we definitely need another guard like Bouknight or Newman in 2019, and hopefully an elite guard in 2020, to complement their skill sets if we really want to be national contenders.

Archived