2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So how did you guys beat out Notre Dame so thoroughly for this one? Every article I read sounds like ND was a second home to Jaden and the entire coaching staff, men's and women's, was like family.

Honestly it still surprises me. I thought we were in a good spot but it’d be tough to beat ND. Kudos to Painter and staff for getting it done. Maybe he wanted to do his own thing coupled with the success Purdue had last year? Who knows. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So how did you guys beat out Notre Dame so thoroughly for this one? Every article I read sounds like ND was a second home to Jaden and the entire coaching staff, men's and women's, was like family.

Something to consider is grades... someone may have a high gpa but that doesn’t mean their test score reflects that... each Coach at Notre Dame has to negotiate how many “free passes” they get for players who don’t meet the academic criteria... that’s why urban Meyer never came to Notre Dame... he wanted 5 Notre Dame said no 3 they eventually gave in to Brian Kelly because I believe he gets 5. It makes me think Notre dame probably only gets 1-2. It makes it tough and keeps Notre Dame from getting elite players sometimes 

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Something to consider is grades... someone may have a high gpa but that doesn’t mean their test score reflects that... each Coach at Notre Dame has to negotiate how many “free passes” they get for players who don’t meet the academic criteria... that’s why urban Meyer never came to Notre Dame... he wanted 5 Notre Dame said no 3 they eventually gave in to Brian Kelly because I believe he gets 5. It makes me think Notre dame probably only gets 1-2. It makes it tough and keeps Notre Dame from getting elite players sometimes 

Don’t think that had anything to do with why they lost Ivey. They wanted him badly and missed. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Probably the same way Swanigan said yes to Purdue. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lol

Fresh off 2013 CBI Quarterfinals, 2014 missed tourney, 2015 first round exit.....5 star Swanigan says yes in May of 2015....the most important recruit since Big Dog and he says yes after backing out of Sparty. I know you can connect the dots. This is when Painter was on the job for what 7-8 years?? Seemed slightly off. Just my 2 cents. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fresh off 2013 CBI Quarterfinals, 2014 missed tourney, 2015 first round exit.....5 star Swanigan says yes in May of 2015....the most important recruit since Big Dog and he says yes after backing out of Sparty. I know you can connect the dots. This is when Painter was on the job for what 7-8 years?? Seemed slightly off. Just my 2 cents. 

You honestly think Painter or someone else affiliated with Purdue paid Swanigan?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Son, I met the nicest guy name Anfernee today.  Why don't you just talk to him?  It couldn't hurt."

Have to think he might not be big enough recruit for Hardaway to look at him.  They seem like they are going after only 4 and 5 star recruits who might be one and done.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You honestly think Painter or someone else affiliated with Purdue paid Swanigan?

No clue. I know that Painter has never recruited/received commit from a 5 star in his life and he lands one after 3 pathetic seasons (which wouldn't show big time players much). When something happens out of the blue in recruiting it's always made some of us raise the eyebrows. I think it would be foolish (given Painter's history in the 5 star market) to think otherwise. 

Same way I felt when Vonleh said yes. Of course we just made Cody a top pick in NBA draft so we can at least suggest system was working. Purdue never had anyone to say it was system or coach based. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue. I know that Painter has never recruited/received commit from a 5 star in his life and he lands one after 3 pathetic seasons (which wouldn't show big time players much). When something happens out of the blue in recruiting it's always made some of us raise the eyebrows. I think it would be foolish (given Painter's history in the 5 star market) to think otherwise. 

Same way I felt when Vonleh said yes. Of course we just made Cody a top pick in NBA draft so we can at least suggest system was working. Purdue never had anyone to say it was system or coach based. 

I get it but Painter had proven he could feature bigs like he did with JaJuan, Landry, and Hammons. Roosevelt Barnes was already a millionaire agent so it’s not like he needed a handout to steer Caleb to Purdue. I feel like Painter gets the benefit of the doubt because he’s never been someone people have questioned as to whether or not he recruits the right way. 

And 3 pathetic seasons? That 3rd season, they went 21-13 and finished 3rd in the conference. Sure they got upset in the tournament but they had already turned things around from the previous 2 poor seasons. 

59 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ivey does indeed de-commit.  Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Not saying it’s impossible but I’d be extremely surprised if he decommitted. He committed to Purdue before AAU ball even started when he probably knew he’d land significantly more offers. To me, that speaks volumes about his commitment. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They currently are. It was more a joke honestly. A joke towards those hoping Ivey decommits...make them think twice about rooting for such as maybe then Purdue might push harder on Lander and steal him away from us.

Don't see Purdue as a threat there.  There are other more serious threats closer to home.

That said, the Turdue-Ivey banter is just for fun on my part.  It's absolutely plausible that Ivey could reconsider where he plays due to mom moving nine hours south after his commitment.  Maybe not likely but also not a sure bet he stays.  If this were an IU commit, I'd be just a tiny bit nervous.  Stranger things have happened.

Plus it's fun to try to make Boiler sweat and insist he's not nervous.😜

We've lived in the commit/decommit world with far higher rated players (Lyles and Blackmon Jr). These scenarios can tank classes because of the time you spend only to have player leave and not enough time to get others. I remember Gordon's recruitment and how Weber handled ultimately got him fired because he didn't have enough time to recruit Moore and others.

If I were Painter I'd have a plan B. Puffs of smoke here.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We've lived in the commit/decommit world with far higher rated players (Lyles and Blackmon Jr). These scenarios can tank classes because of the time you spend only to have player leave and not enough time to get others. I remember Gordon's recruitment and how Weber handled ultimately got him fired because he didn't have enough time to recruit Moore and others.

If I were Painter I'd have a plan B. Puffs of smoke here.

...and...he's moving to La Lu...

...uh oh...

5a9c83fcb387e_TrainWreck-Imgur.gif.d1f2f98ee5351b3a980e25bb9be73f6e.gif

Archived