2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, newhavenwarford said:

Who's the Mid Major he's visiting after Kentucky? Hate to say it but Kentucky is gonna be a major player as well as Michigan St

I miss the old days when Knight would walk in and offer and say commit now or lose the offer. Recruiting has become a circus.

Roshown McClown

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure when McLeod turned on Crean.  He was on staff for nearly two years, so could have done unsuspected damage long before Irving (who just got traded to the Celtics)

McLeod has bounced around since being fired from IU.  Nothing major.  Currently coaching at a private school in Georgia. 

In the end, he may have done more damage to his own reputation, than IU's BB program.

I'm sure that Roshown McClown did indeed damage his brand significantly when he screwed up and got fired from a rebuilding IU. He proved he couldn't coach the following year by racking up a pedestrian 13-12 record at St. Benedict's Prep despite having two D1 signees on his squad.  Despite his stated desire to return to the college game after he resigned, he's currently coaching a private high school in Georgia. I doubt many college coaches would trust him with his track record.

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

All 4 coaches there. If you had any questions about IU taking both Romeo and Garland, here is your answer.

Based off article sounds like Darius's dad is big on the Hoosiers! He's also excited for Hoosier Hysteria, gotta think that when they're in Bloomington for Hoosier Hysteria its gonna be helpful having a guy with lots of influence on Darius to have said, "It's been awesome having him potentially be a Hoosier." 

Maybe we aren't out of it for Garland as I once thought we were.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering if Garland would commit before the November signing period it would influence Phinessee to decommit. I would think he would still come but maybe he would not want to be behind another PG in this class.

Don't think it influences Phinisee.  He would likely be the backup PG his freshman year either way.   Behind Green in one scenario and Garland in the other.  His time to run the team will come during his Sophomore-Senior years (assuming Garland is one and done).

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Updated Scout 2019 Rankings: http://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Basketball/ScoutRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Matthew Hurt - #4

Keion Brooks - #14

Trendon Watford - #15

Trayce Jackson-Davis - #45

Throw in a guard...could you imagine that class? :x

Lol, unfortunately Archie would have to kick off half the team to sign all those guys.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I miss the old days when Knight would walk in and offer and say commit now or lose the offer. Recruiting has become a circus.

I think all the "look at me" these colleges give these kids is just a way the top recruits get more publicity to get there name out there. That's why recruiting is so much more popular now than it was say 15-20 years ago...Its like a big soap opera

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure when McLeod turned on Crean.  He was on staff for nearly two years, so could have done unsuspected damage long before Irving (who just got traded to the Celtics)

McLeod has bounced around since being fired from IU.  Nothing major.  Currently coaching at a private school in Georgia. 

In the end, he may have done more damage to his own reputation, than IU's BB program.

Can you give more details on McLeod "turning on" Crean?  I wasn't following IU recruiting at all during this time, so I've never heard this story.  Was he a double agent for Krzyzewski or something?

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Can you give more details on McLeod "turning on" Crean?  I wasn't following IU recruiting at all during this time, so I've never heard this story.  Was he a double agent for Krzyzewski or something?

Let's just say, he  did not have Crean's back on the recruiting trail.  Most obvious was the Irving in home.  He did not show up, till late.  While Kyrie's parents peppered Crean with questions about what McCleod was feeding them in terms of IU and Duke.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Let's just say, he  did not have Crean's back on the recruiting trail.  Most obvious was the Irving in home.  He did not show up, till late.  While Kyrie's parents peppered Crean with questions about what McCleod was feeding them in terms of IU and Duke.

The hiring of McCleod always baffled me.  If Crean wanted a guy with little experience he should've brought in a former Hoosier like Fife, Coverdale, or Lewis.

That said, I think Archie has put together a terrific staff especially Ed Schilling.  I think Schilling will soon prove to be one of the most valuable assistant coaches in the country. 

Regarding Garland. No guarantees we get him or not. Same goes for Romeo. If you can get a 5 star you take him and the rest will figure itself out. I remember old Brucey to the west not having a plan B once. Cost him Evan Turner or Etwaun Moore after the entire Western Hemisphere knew Gordon wasn't going there.

I like Archie's approach. We have good guys in place...but if we can hit a home run? You go for it.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The hiring of McCleod always baffled me.  If Crean wanted a guy with little experience he should've brought in a former Hoosier like Fife, Coverdale, or Lewis.

That said, I think Archie has put together a terrific staff especially Ed Schilling.  I think Schilling will soon prove to be one of the most valuable assistant coaches in the country. 

Anyone that is even remotely close to the game understands how good Schilling is. I think people will soon understand in the coming classes. This guy bats as well as anyone on the 5 star level.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This was something I looked into when Schilling was hired, and I couldn't really find anything, so I appreciate the info.  Was he a big part of the recruitment of the Balls and Wilkes?

The Balls didn't need any recruitment. Lavar said that Lamar would be at UCLA if Bozo was the head coach. Wilkes on the other hand I'm sure he had a big hand in. He's incredibly well respected all throughout Indiana in coaching circles which probably played a factor here but I don't know that for sure.

IMO he's one of the top recruiters in the country do to the work he's done in developmenting players + reputation. He's worked with many current NBA players.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Double agent in the sense that he mishandled Kyrie's questions about playing at Duke.  He ended up being receptive to the line of inquiry and played up Duke.  He may have been more dimwit than double agent but the word is he did not do his job for IU and talked up Duke.  There's a way to handle that and he bombed.  

Archived