Maui --> Asheville

I was thinking last night about the schedule and how I would like it to look like.  If we play 20 conference games then we would have 7 games to play in th enon conference.  With Maui that takes 3 games so how to finish the rest of the non conference.  I think they will eliminate the ACC/Big Ten challenge and the Gavitt games.  So this is what i would like to see and the first is to cancel the Cross roads but do somehting similar but with all 10 D1 programs in Indiana.  Split it up by North and South and have 5 teams in each area.

North

Purdue

Valpo

Fort Wayne

Notre Dame

Ball St.

South

Indiana

IUPUI

Butler

ISU

Evansville

I would have a round robin in your region so that would be your other 4 non conference games.  You have the north region playing at Purdue and the south region at IU.  This wuld eliminate much of the travel and the teams could all stay on campus since the students will be gone.

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here is a guess on what the schedule might look like with 27 games.  I think they keep the Gavitt and Big Ten /ACC because of the tv deals.

Nov. 25 - tune up game

Nov. 30 - Dec. 2 - "Maui" (3 games)

Dec. 8 - at Virginia? (B1G/ACC)

Dec ? - vs. Xavier (Gavitt)

Dec ? - vs. Butler (Crossroads)

20 league games

Can you imagine the meltdown if we have that schedule and lose the tune-up game?  :panic::panic:

6 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here is a guess on what the schedule might look like with 27 games.  I think they keep the Gavitt and Big Ten /ACC because of the tv deals.

Nov. 25 - tune up game

Nov. 30 - Dec. 2 - "Maui" (3 games)

Dec. 8 - at Virginia? (B1G/ACC)

Dec ? - vs. Xavier (Gavitt)

Dec ? - vs. Butler (Crossroads)

20 league games

Just wondering just this year if they would want to have so much travel in the non conference

9 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think the bigger concerns right now are securing TV money and playing against teams with stringent testing standards.

Just wondering with playing 20 conference games and only having 7 non conference games.  Will the power 5 conference teams want to only play really tough games.  Most like having at least 3 or 4 easy games to get some work in but not have to worry about losing games.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just wondering with playing 20 conference games and only having 7 non conference games.  Will the power 5 conference teams want to only play really tough games.  Most like having at least 3 or 4 easy games to get some work in but not have to worry about losing games.

Perhaps a more pertinent question in 2020 -- will high majors want to pay low/mid majors to play them when their athletic dept budgets have been decimated?

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I might be thinking back to when I read the article on what was going to be proposed and not what was finalized.  

this is from ESPN so I guess you could play 28 since it says 24 r 25 games plus the MTE

The Division I Council also changed the maximum number of games a team can play and the minimum number of games required to be considered for NCAA championship selection. The maximum number of games was reduced by four, with teams allowed to play 24 or 25 games, plus one multiple-team event. The minimum number of games was reduced by 50%, dropping to 13 games. There was a recommendation by both the men's and women's basketball committees to play a minimum of four nonconference game

42 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I might be wrong, but I thought teams in MTEs could play 28 games.  

I thought so too, but I lifted this excerpt from a 9/16 article...

The council also modified the minimum and maximum number of games required for NCAA tournament consideration.For the men, there are three scheduling options, including 24 regular season games and up to three games in a multi-team event (MTE) such as Thanksgiving or Christmas tournaments, or 25 regular season games and a maximum of two games in an MTE.

The third option is 25 regular season games without participating in an MTE.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You think they will allow fans?

Based on what I read (who knows if it's true) the games will be conducted based on "mass gatherings" guidelines of NC. Implies (to me at least) that there will be fans. I'm close enough to go, but not sure I want to put up with the hassle of screening, very sparse crowd, and the high cost of everything Asheville. Not as bad as costs in Maui, but completely different weather in Asheville in Nov....an no beaches, or bikini's to look at !

Think I'll plop down in my TV Chair and mute dumb-a$$ Walton, and listen to Fisch, if he's on.

26 minutes ago, DWB said:

Based on what I read (who knows if it's true) the games will be conducted based on "mass gatherings" guidelines of NC. Implies (to me at least) that there will be fans. I'm close enough to go, but not sure I want to put up with the hassle of screening, very sparse crowd, and the high cost of everything Asheville. Not as bad as costs in Maui, but completely different weather in Asheville in Nov....an no beaches, or bikini's to look at !

Think I'll plop down in my TV Chair and mute dumb-a$$ Walton, and listen to Fisch, if he's on.

I want fans to be able to attend because I think we need to start getting back to doing that kind of thing, but I digress.  Anyway, the only thing I don't like about fans attending in NC is the possibility of the TarHeels getting more of a home court advantage than other teams.  

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29914626/louisville-hoops-planning-non-conference-bubble

Looks like some teams are looking at a non conference bubble.  UL bring in teams that are close enough for them to bus in.  Also some west coast conferences looking to have a a buble for non conference.  So reading some of this especially UL we might not be looking at a ACC/Big ten challenge.

Archived