KFC, Churches, or Popeyes ?

milehiiu

You can't throw a rock in Texas without hitting a Popeye's (or a Sonic, or a Whataburger, or a Jack in the Box). I love their chicken, but they have the absolute worst customer service ever (and that's after ordering from them in 5 different states). Leave without checking your order at your own peril. We actually went to one in Montgomery, Illinois where the girl who took our order immediately went into the little hallway by the bathrooms and started making out with what I guess was her boyfriend...

Scott's right...KFC has lost something...Last 2 times I went in, the chicken was substandard, and both places (one in Humble, and one in Miami, Fl) were filthy...

Like Chick-fil-a. Great customer service always, and a pretty good sandwich, although not as good as Popeye's (if you don't get a lemon pie instead of a sandwich that is).

My favorite is a place called Slim Chickens. Killer chicken tenders and great sides. And desserts like strawberry shortcake in a Mason jar...A lot of them here in Texas...Colorado has 2 (Centennial and Aurora)...None in Indiana though...

And you couldn't pay me to eat at Church's...

Edited by IUFLA

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My favorite is a place called Slim Chickens. Killer chicken tenders and great sides. And desserts like strawberry shortcake in a Mason jar...A lot of them here in Texas...Colorado has 2 (Centennial and Aurora)...None in Indiana though...

Slim Chickens.  Never heard of them.  Gonna have to try them, upon your recommendation.  Checked their website.  One open in Aurora, Colorado.  The other much closer to my house is "soon" to open.  Will keep checking.  Thanks for telling me about Slim Chickens. 

A shout out for a couple of Chicago area places...

Brown's and Harold's chicken joints (both franchises) are both pretty good...AND they both have Chicken Livers (which I love...only thing better than chicken livers is beef liver) and Gizzards (which I don't care for)...

Houston's local place is called Frenchy's...The chicken was tough and tasteless...

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've had all 3 mentioned, KFC used to be king but of those 3 today, Popeye's.  

I dont have access to any of them right now so Its Gabes Deli fried chicken at the local IGA.  Very good. And I like mine crunchy. 

No Gabes Deli or IGA in Colorado, to my knowledge.  But did check out their website.  And looks delicious to me.

Gabe's Deli - Welcome to MyIGA.com

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No Gabes Deli or IGA in Colorado, to my knowledge.  But did check out their website.  And looks delicious to me.

Gabe's Deli - Welcome to MyIGA.com

Pretty sure IGA is a southwest Indiana chain. Great fried chicken.

But around here, if you want some good broasted fried chicken, or a good burger or drive up experience its Bo - Macs in the small town Shoals.

Also have Mason's  in my hometown.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I believe you nailed it. 

Anyone do Boston Market ?

Rotisserie Chicken & Local Catering | Boston Market

When I worked in Indy 20 years ago (dang I feel old saying that) there was Boston Market in the Castleton area I would go to for lunch sometimes. It was good stuff but I don't think they have ever had one up here in Fort Wayne.

I do get the Boston Market frozen meals here and there when they are on sale.

To the topic question, KFC isn't what it used to be. I prefer Popeye's. Never had Churches.

Edited by bronkonagurski

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pretty sure IGA is a southwest Indiana chain. Great fried chicken.

But around here, if you want some good broasted fried chicken, or a good burger or drive up experience its Bo - Macs in the small town Shoals.

Also have Mason's  in my hometown.

Last IGA I saw was in Oberlin, Ohio. I went to the Cleveland ARTCC (right the Sunday after the infamous Chicago ARTCC fire) about 5 years ago, and it was right across the street. 

Back when I was a kid growing up in Martinsville, Schwab's IGA was the only grocer in town. And to tie it into the thread, they had a KFC kiosk in the corner of the store. On Thursdays, they had liver and gizzards. Mom would pick me up a pint of livers, and Dad a pint of gizzards. Dad would eat anything. Depression kid. He told me you could  eat anything on a pig but the squeal...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

There is a chicken place in Enochsburg, Indiana that has the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. Not sure if it is still open as it has about 5 years since I feasted there.

Jeff. Looks like it is still there. But closed on Sundays.

Fireside Inn, Enochsburg Greensburg, IN 47240 - Menu, 77 Reviews and Photos - Restaurantji