Indianapolis would like to be a "bubble" site for the NCAA BB

milehiiu

So do schools normally pay to play in tournaments?   With athletic departments running out of money that price tag to play sounds a bit much.  I realize these promoters gotta make money with no fans but I'd think the sponsors need to pay(that and the networks airing the games).

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

So do schools normally pay to play in tournaments?   With athletic departments running out of money that price tag to play sounds a bit much.  I realize these promoters gotta make money with no fans but I'd think the sponsors need to pay(that and the networks airing the games).

Go Hoosiers!!!

I’m not sure but 90k for room and board and paying refs...basically all included...I don’t think Indy is making anything on it. More a promotional thing for them. Cut out all the expenses of travel, hotels, food etc for the team...I bet they would save money actually....obviously losing gate proceeds hurt but if there is no fans already problem solved for the university. I’d push to add the women too!

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not sure but 90k for room and board and paying refs...basically all included...I don’t think Indy is making anything on it. More a promotional thing for them. Cut out all the expenses of travel, hotels, food etc for the team...I bet they would save money actually....obviously losing gate proceeds hurt but if there is no fans already problem solved for the university. I’d push to add the women too!

It's not a money making venture but more of another example of the powers at be in Indy. They understand business and even if you break even now or take a small hit....it brings phenomenal recognition to the city and that will pay dividends down the road. 

I'm no economist but I'm saying it can be done.  Either hotels or nearby college dorms could house teams.  It's been reported that hotels are/ have been taking a beating running at 10% capacity.  Restaurants and caterers would be more than willing to accept the work to feed the bubble members.  

Revenue to pay for the facilities would all come from marketing and tv.  That's where this would get sticky but with cbs, fox and espn all taking a blood bath beating I'm sure something can get worked out.  

How about a B1G Big East or ACC bubble challenge of some sort.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, NotIThatLives said:

I'm no economist but I'm saying it can be done.  Either hotels or nearby college dorms could house teams.  It's been reported that hotels are/ have been taking a beating running at 10% capacity.  Restaurants and caterers would be more than willing to accept the work to feed the bubble members.  

Revenue to pay for the facilities would all come from marketing and tv.  That's where this would get sticky but with cbs, fox and espn all taking a blood bath beating I'm sure something can get worked out.  

How about a B1G Big East or ACC bubble challenge of some sort.

One of my good friends owns a place downtown Indy. Won't say name to keep his restaurant off of message boards but he told me he would be willing to sell meals/food/drink,etc....at just 10% markup to get the volume. 

In terms of hotels...cities across the country are empty. 10% sounds about right. If they could get rooms like this safely full....would be a dream. Glad Indy is stepping up to try and accommodate!

On 9/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, OldDog said:

Long time Lurker here, I think Indianapolis is  the perfect site. Hope I can see some b10 in Texas. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Welcome to posting, fellow Texan

Yes, Welcome from another Hoosier residing in Texas...

And as a welcoming gift...

trix.PNG

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Do we really want all these teams playing and recruiting in Indiana. You know that comes with it. You think Few and Drew arent looking to see if there is Indiana kids they can get to the game. Archie's job is hard enough. jmo.

Don't think it would effect recruiting at all.  With summer basketball these kids are seen by every coach in the summer so them playing in Indy wouldn't change anything.

Archived