State of Emergency in Louisville

5fouls

Things are about to get ugly in Louisville.  I'm hoping it does not spread across the river.  In theory, I work within the red box outlined in the map contained within the story.  But, I've been working from home since Covid started.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/mayor-fischer-declares-state-of-emergency-for-louisville-ahead-of-expected-breonna-taylor-decision/article_ca7ba3e2-fcdb-11ea-bd12-8b3f189f145f.html

I'm hoping the discussion in this thread can stay within the boundaries of WHAT is happening.  As far as WHY, well everyone has their opinions, and we should probably stay away from that.  I'll be asking the mods to lock the thread if we can't.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a triple homicide the other day I'd say things are already ugly (not saying it was related to this case).  Haven't been following too closely but I think it was wrong to make that $12M settlement with the family at this time. I see Chicago handing out millions in lawsuits all the time. The same connected attorneys always involved. Just encourages more of the same. Watch to see if that attorney or his friends/ family/law firm make big donations to the mayors reelection campaign. For the sake of the city, I hope the police are not told to stand back and watch any looting / arson. We know that model doesn't work.

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

With a triple homicide the other day I'd say things are already ugly (not saying it was related to this case).  Haven't been following too closely but I think it was wrong to make that $12M settlement with the family at this time. I see Chicago handing out millions in lawsuits all the time. The same connected attorneys always involved. Just encourages more of the same. Watch to see if that attorney or his friends/ family/law firm make big donations to the mayors reelection campaign. For the sake of the city, I hope the police are not told to stand back and watch any looting / arson. We know that model doesn't work.

Agree, but more importantly I want the police to be safe. 

I would like to see the bodycam footage before entry and a ballistics report. Seems they conveniently left out the part right before entry, you know, when they usually announce themselves.

But I would totally agree with, end no knock warrants. I have been on the receiving end of and officer kicking on my door unannounced at 130am on a friday night.  Want the story, peruse the gun enthusiast thread. 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Things are about to get ugly in Louisville.  I'm hoping it does not spread across the river.  In theory, I work within the red box outlined in the map contained within the story.  But, I've been working from home since Covid started.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/mayor-fischer-declares-state-of-emergency-for-louisville-ahead-of-expected-breonna-taylor-decision/article_ca7ba3e2-fcdb-11ea-bd12-8b3f189f145f.html

I'm hoping the discussion in this thread can stay within the boundaries of WHAT is happening.  As far as WHY, well everyone has their opinions, and we should probably stay away from that.  I'll be asking the mods to lock the thread if we can't.  

Stay safe! 

I think it's only a matter of time until we have this generations Kent State.

I say that because you have kooks like NFAC (look them up) and Alt-right groups bring weapons to these protests and I guarantee you most of them don't know the first thing about weapon safety. NFAC had an inadvertent weapon discharge that injured 3 of their own people at the Derby protest. 

Good luck to those that live near Louisville. Lay low, let them have a hopefully peaceful protests...

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess it's too much to ask people to act like adults and control themselves.

I agree with this statement with a slight twist - I guess it's too much to ask *police* to act like adults and control themselves. It wouldn't be such a mess if they did so in the first place. Sounded like a small gang of Barney Fife's were involved in this one.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Several comments in that article that I find quite disturbing.  I'm not optimistic about this.  I also think not having the KY National Guard heavily involved is wrong.  I've been told the IN National Guard is "exercising" in New Albany.  I hope they are prepared to shut down the bridges.

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I agree with this statement with a slight twist - I guess it's too much to ask *police* to act like adults and control themselves. It wouldn't be such a mess if they did so in the first place. Sounded like a small gang of Barney Fife's were involved in this one.

That seems like quite a leap there.  Just yesterday I had a conversation with a young black man who told me he worked on 4th street in Louisville.  He said between covid and the protests he hadn't been able to work in quite a while.  He also told me that he personally knew all of the cops involved in this shooting as they had worked security where he worked.  He went on to say that Sergeant Mattingly (The officer who was shot) had given him rides home from work.  As a young black man, this kid is at the epicenter of the BLM movement, and he was quite upset at how the media has painted these officers.  

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

“According to officials, Walker's bullet struck Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly in the leg, requiring surgery. Mattingly and officers Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove returned fire, shooting more than 20 rounds.”

So the Walker guy shoots first at the ‘Barney Fifes’? Wow 😯

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5326938002

18 minutes ago, Inequality said:

“According to officials, Walker's bullet struck Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly in the leg, requiring surgery. Mattingly and officers Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove returned fire, shooting more than 20 rounds.”

So the Walker guy shoots first at the ‘Barney Fifes’? Wow 😯

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5326938002

Yes, shooting more than 20 rounds after bashing someone's door down is very Barney Fife (although he was only able to carry one bullet).

Taylor’s mother told the Washington Post that she had received a call from Walker, who said someone was trying to break into the apartment before shouting, “I think they shot Breonna.” According to his attorney, Walker fired a shot in self-defense and struck an officer in the leg. Walker is a licensed firearm carrier. In response, police opened fire, shooting more than 20 rounds into Taylor’s home, striking objects in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, bathroom, and both bedrooms. Taylor was shot at least eight times, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yes, shooting more than 20 rounds after bashing someone's door down is very Barney Fife (although he was only able to carry one bullet).

Oh ok. So your saying the officers should have only fired one blind shot in exchange for the first blind shot. 1 for 1. Got it.
Yeah I have no idea why they would fire so many. If it were me, I probably would have waited for more shots at me first.

47 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I agree that it appears the police acted erroneously.  But is it worth looting and burning Louisville?  I mean come on, you disagree with what has happened and is happening and people vent their frustrations with criminal activity of their own?  2 wrongs don't make a right.

Archived