I Hate Doing This

5fouls

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Edit:  Not worth it.  Everyone knows what's going on with thread locks and why.

I missed what you originally posted.  However I can imagine what it said.  As I have had it happen to me in the past. 

No one knows the board rules better than me.  As I was the one who wrote them.  They were adopted by the then moderators. Word for word.  And issued for  publication on HSN 3.0 by Hoosier Faithful.

It's not easy being a mod.

So glad I am no longer in a position of having to enforce the rules that I wrote.

Having said that.  One of my greatest fears is running off great members... such as yourself.  As a result of attempting to enforce board rules.

Hang in there brother.

Give Peace a Chance 

I'll add this piece back to what I originally wrote, edited now that I've had time to cool off.  I thought the board was doing a great job of keeping focus on WHAT was happening in Louisville, and staying away from the WHY.  It's technically my hometown, and it was important to me to have a place to discuss with a group I've considered a family.  I even asked in the original post that everyone be cognizant of the board rules, and I personally think we were doing a good job.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll add this piece back to what I originally wrote, edited now that I've had time to cool off.  I thought the board was doing a great job of keeping focus on WHAT was happening in Louisville, and staying away from the WHY.  It's technically my hometown, and it was important to me to have a place to discuss with a group I've considered a family.  I even asked in the original post that everyone be cognizant of the board rules, and I personally think we were doing a good job.

I second it. Worked in Jeffersonville all week. Look forward to the board perspective.  I might have missed stuff but did not see anything worthy to lock stuff up 

It's been my experience in the year that I've been on here, that virtually all the members are far more informed on most subject matter than the average Joe on the street. I appreciate all the different perspectives. Even the ones that aren't associated with BBall. I'm comfortable in my own perspective, and I'm sure most on this board are comfortable with their perspectives as well. To me this board is a place to retreat from all the outside "noise". 

Having said that, I defer to the Mods in any and all matters of board conduct. They have a very difficult task to do, time consuming, and always thankless. But I thank them for all they do. Sometimes mod calls are subjective, sometimes not. But once a line in the sand is crossed, it's very hard to retreat back to it. I'd rather have the mods lock up a thread before it gets heated, rather than after damage is done by crossing the line.

Without the "verbal tone" of actual speech, we can all interpret any post differently than the next guy who reads it. We should all keep that in mind.

Being a mod has to be a tough and thankless job. There's so many differing opinions and they have to remain neutral so many of the times. then also choosing to be non-political can sometimes also make a political statement in itself and that can be unfair because we're not allowed to share our opinions and those matters. So I guess what I'm saying is we all need to give each other some slack. I remember i used to getting so irritated with IU Scott.  Now I thoroughly enjoy him.  Most of us can read his mind on topics he gets triggered on.  Let's not ruin this like facebook.  We need sports and I love this board.  

I'll make one last comment and let it go.

Any thread could go down a political path if someone wanted it to.  I wouldn't do it, but I can find a way to insert politics into a thread about our schedule.  

Could a thread about the State of Emergency in Louisville get political.  Yeah, the potential was there, but it hadn't.  So why close it.

By contrast, could a thread about Ruth Bader Ginsberg get political.  Yeah, that one could too.  But it remains open.  And, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it be closed.  It shouldn't be.  But, then again, neither should have the State of Emergency thread.  

Inconsistent application of the rules is what is so frustrating to me.

Rant over.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll make one last comment and let it go.

Any thread could go down a political path if someone wanted it to.  I wouldn't do it, but I can find a way to insert politics into a thread about our schedule.  

Could a thread about the State of Emergency in Louisville get political.  Yeah, the potential was there, but it hadn't.  So why close it.

By contrast, could a thread about Ruth Bader Ginsberg get political.  Yeah, that one could too.  But it remains open.  And, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it be closed.  It shouldn't be.  But, then again, neither should have the State of Emergency thread.  

Inconsistent application of the rules is what is so frustrating to me.

Rant over.

Dead on.  

The Gingsberg thread is like kindling waiting to explode but calmer heads have prevailed.  It shows the maturity of the vast majority of this board and you people that make it great.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dead on.  

The Gingsberg thread is like kindling waiting to explode but calmer heads have prevailed.  It shows the maturity of the vast majority of this board and you people that make it great.  

Amen. And appreciate the day I was elevated to HSN Chancellor Emeritus.... so that I no longer had to make difficult decisions when it comes to moderating this great Indiana University board.  GOD bless you all.

You know there's a very common sense solution to all of this.  You create ONE thread for anything remotely political at the top.  This is the absolute only thread where you can discuss anything political at all.  Do that even one time outside of that thread and it's an automatic 48 hour timeout.  A second you're gone for a month or two.  A third and you're done forever.  Anyone goes RoadToZion even once they are gone forever no warnings.  If you don't want to read anything political then stay the blank out of that thread.  But that just makes too much sense.

I want to thank the Admin/mods for ruffling quite a few feathers due to locking down the Louisville threads.  The fellas in my "click" were perplexed by the situation and good discussion was being delivered.

While were on the "discussion" thing, wtf is deemed discussion and when does it exactly get political?  Civil unrest is deemed political?  Discussions about civil unrest are deemed political?  Who makes all these decisions of what to lock because "the site" deems it political?  You fellas have quite a few longtime members that want to know the answers to these questions.  

HF was participating in one of the threads and still it got locked.  Geez, does the "right hand" know what the "left hand" is doing?

Carry on.

Anyone with questions about locking of threads and the subject of political / social unrest discussion can always pm a mod. We appreciate that some are unhappy with threads getting locked, and disagree with our approach. The way to address that is to raise it directly with one or more of us, by pm, not by posting it here.

Without further continuing this discussion here -- The mods are at the point where we have recognized that what is "political" in 2020 has become ridiculously difficult to specifically define, but is causing us a great deal of problems in these threads. This is, clearly, a unique year, and passions are high on several topics surrounding race, race relations, social unrest, and policing, all of which can, in this climate, be "political" or matters of social unrest, and all of which, posted here, give rise to a great deal of anger, animosity, discord (and pm's to us individually) and just plain bad vibes that have no place here. There are many outlets for these discussions, this Board is not one of them. We have asked everyone here to respect that. If you want to know if a topic is kosher, you can pm any one or all of us. One long-time member here did just that, before posting the thread. That was helpful, for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Anyone with questions about locking of threads and the subject of political / social unrest discussion can always pm a mod. We appreciate that some are unhappy with threads getting locked, and disagree with our approach. The way to address that is to raise it directly with one or more of us, by pm, not by posting it here.

Without further continuing this discussion here -- The mods are at the point where we have recognized that what is "political" in 2020 has become ridiculously difficult to specifically define, but is causing us a great deal of problems in these threads. This is, clearly, a unique year, and passions are high on several topics surrounding race, race relations, social unrest, and policing, all of which can, in this climate, be "political" or matters of social unrest, and all of which, posted here, give rise to a great deal of anger, animosity, discord (and pm's to us individually) and just plain bad vibes that have no place here. There are many outlets for these discussions, this Board is not one of them. We have asked everyone here to respect that. If you want to know if a topic is kosher, you can pm any one or all of us. One long-time member here did just that, before posting the thread. That was helpful, for everyone. 

I guess the the part I highlighted is what frustrates me the most.  We're not in grade school.  As posters, we should not be tattling on each other by sending a pm to a mod just because we don't like something that was posted.  Nobody in the Louisville threads was going down the path that Road to Zion did.  We were having a legitimate discussion on something very real that is happening in my backyard.  If someone does not like what is being discussed, then just don't open the frickin thread.  It's not that hard. 

I'm on here as much as anyone, and I probably don't open 60% of threads just by the thread title if the subject just does interest me.  On the 40% that I do open, I probably only become active in 15% of them.  How hard is it to let people that want to discuss a topic discuss that topic, even if you (not saying you Hoopster) don't have an interest in it.  Move on and ignore.  It's not a difficult concept. To be honest, it sounds as if some members are intent on suppressing certain topics by complaining to mods, while not saying anything about other topics that straddle the same line (like the RBG thread).  No, that thread has not gone down the political path.  But, neither had the State of Emergency thread.  In fact, the only people who made the State of Emergency thread political are the ones who complained about it.  That's BS. 

Hoopster, I understand fully what you are saying about it putting the mods in a difficult situation.  I can only imagine that it's not very easy.  And, I understand what you say when you ask us to take it up with the mods via PM.  But, I feel my point in this post needs to be seen by everyone.  This is a great board.  But, posters need to be open-minded and allow for discussions outside of basketball (because there isn't much to talk about there).  If you don't like a topic, ignore it.  Trust the mods to handle a situation that gets out of control like the recent one involving Road to Zion.  Otherwise, contribute where you have interest and sit out when the topic does not concern you.  

On 9/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, rico said:

.  The fellas in my "click" were perplexed by the situation and good discussion was being delivered.

While were on the "discussion" thing, wtf is deemed discussion and when does it exactly get political?  Civil unrest is deemed political?  Discussions about civil unrest are deemed political?  Who makes all these decisions of what to lock because "the site" deems it political?  You fellas have quite a few longtime members that want to know the answers to these questions.  

HF was participating in one of the threads and still it got locked.  Geez, does the "right hand" know what the "left hand" is doing?

Carry on.

I appreciate you being a long time, valued member. But your post here is EXACTLY why we are done dealing with it.

You have any clue how much time it takes to moderate these boards during this time?

Yeah, we may mess up. Make decisions the masses do not agree with.

But with all the effort we put in, for you to just be condescendingly sarcastic "I want to thank the Admin/mods for ruffling quite a few feathers due to locking down the Louisville threads" is exactly why I am done spending hours on this.

I am fine with objections. I disagree with @5fouls, but we are respectfully coming from different positions.

He is not being condescending or demanding. 

If you think we are so obtuse that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, then apparently we are too dumb to handle these challenging topics. So best we do not allow them.

Good God, rico. That post infuriated me. Especially coming from you.

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I appreciate you being a long time, valued member. But your post here is EXACTLY why we are done dealing with it.

You have any clue how much time it takes to moderate these boards during this time?

Yeah, we may mess up. Make decisions the masses do not agree with.

But with all the effort we put in, for you to just be condescendingly sarcastic "I want to thank the Admin/mods for ruffling quite a few feathers due to locking down the Louisville threads" is exactly why I am done spending hours on this.

I am fine with objections. I disagree with @5fouls, but we are respectfully coming from different positions.

He is not being condescending or demanding. 

If you think we are so obtuse that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, then apparently we are too dumb to handle these challenging topics. So best we do not allow them.

Good God, rico. That post infuriated me. Especially coming from you.

Relax and smoke a blunt...

Archived