The "Family" page

rico

@Billingsley99, will be praying.

Got some good news today.  Turns out my stepdad had a slipped disc that was compressing a nerve that severely limited his mobility.  So physical therapy and last resort disc fusion.

I think it just had him down mentally not being able to get around and being cooped up from the snow didnt help. He still has some trembling from the stroke but should recover. 

Appreciate everyone's support. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Turns out my stepdad had a slipped disc that was compressing a nerve that severely limited his mobility.  So physical therapy and last resort disc fusion.

Lumbar, thoracic, or cervical?

Asking cause I've done a ton of research on this...

Edited by IUFLA

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

L4 - L5 for fusion. L2 and 3 degraded some. 

@IUFLA

I'm taking it as when you say slipped you mean herniated?

If that's the case, then PT is the right call. It can recover range of motion and mitigate pain. If it's ruptured, PT can possibly manage the pain, but it'll never heal. That's why my Dr recommended disc replacement for the ruptured disc between C5 and C6, and the herniated one between C6 and C7. He offered me both options (replacement or fusion) but since the fusion would reduce the range of motion in my neck by about 25% (because it would be two fusions...one fusion you lose 10% range of motion), I chose the replacement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm taking it as when you say slipped you mean herniated?

If that's the case, then PT is the right call. It can recover range of motion and mitigate pain. If it's ruptured, PT can possibly manage the pain, but it'll never heal. That's why my Dr recommended disc replacement for the ruptured disc between C5 and C6, and the herniated one between C6 and C7. He offered me both options (replacement or fusion) but since the fusion would reduce the range of motion in my neck by about 25% (because it would be two fusions...one fusion you lose 10% range of motion), I chose the replacement.

Probably, that was just term my aunt used. I've known several people that have had back procedures and if physical therapy was an option that was tried first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I missed this.  Did you have a back injury and a surgery?  Hope you’re doing well and have a perfect recovery! 

Thank you. Yeah, had one ruptured and 1 bulging disc in my neck from natural degeneration (old age), so they replaced them. All the pain is gone except the instrumentation from the new disc and in incision...but they're tolerable even without the meds. I'm a happy camper.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Thank you. Yeah, had one ruptured and 1 bulging disc in my neck from natural degeneration (old age), so they replaced them. All the pain is gone except the instrumentation from the new disc and in incision...but they're tolerable even without the meds. I'm a happy camper.

So, you won't be a pain in the neck here anymore?😀

Glad you got this taken care of, and hope it is a long term solution for you.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Great news.  Those procedures can be tricky so I am so happy you’re doing well.  Best wishes, my friend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Glad to hear all went well. Best of luck of full recovery and continued pain free

• Thanks 1