The "Family" page

rico

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, I guess things change over the years...my father in law could never figure out why I wanted to be in the delivery room...wasn't the way it was done in his day...you paced the waiting room with a pocket full of cigars when he was coming up...

I'm glad I did though...the 3 most magical days in 23,000 + I've been around for...

My wife had some serious complications on the first one.  Our Dr played us masterfully so we didn't freak out and we just focused on the delivery.  It wasn't til the next day when the Dr and nurses were calling my wife the little miracle momma did we start to comprehend what the hell happened.  By far the most intense, scary, and relieved I have been.  When the baby came out and he had all his toes, fingers, and ears I knew we would be alright.  

My wife had helps syndrome.  Its like a 1 in 1000 and 1 in 4 die, iirc.  Thank God I didn't google it when they told us about it.  They just said no c section or epidural and you gotta get this baby out.  They cranked up the potosin? and my wife was having long and hard contractions for about 4 hours on no rest in between.  

But yeah, if your wife wants you out or in the delivery room, whatever she says goes haha.  Isn't that how this works?

• Like 5

The back story on this was that my Ex called and gave me an arse chewing about not going to the next grand daughters BS. I mean a good old fashion back in the day (pre being the EX, back in the day). I was surprised because my daughter and I had talked about me not coming over the last couple weeks.

It turns out the daughter wasn't upset and thought her mom was being silly.

I think the ex was just missing not seeing me..... :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

But yeah, if your wife wants you out or in the delivery room, whatever she says goes haha.  Isn't that how this works?

I guess I never thought about that, because long before our first was due it was established that I was going to be there...

Sure, she would have done it without my being there, but she's always told me she was glad I was there and that support meant a lot to her...

Funny how the process evolved over the years too...for the first 2, I was in full medical regalia...head cover, mask, scrubs, the whole works...matter of fact, when I brought my second one out of delivery and taking her to the nursery, I saw my in laws and took her over for a look-see...my FIL said to my MIL, "he's a good doctor, huh?" To which my MIL replied, "That was your son in law, dummy."

Plus both times the (military) hospital kept my wife 3 days...

For the last one (10 years after number 2) I was in street clothes with a mask on, and they booted my wife and my new daughter out of the hospital the day after delivery...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The back story on this was that my Ex called and gave me an arse chewing about not going to the next grand daughters BS. I mean a good old fashion back in the day (pre being the EX, back in the day). I was surprised because my daughter and I had talked about me not coming over the last couple weeks.

It turns out the daughter wasn't upset and thought her mom was being silly.

I think the ex was just missing not seeing me..... :)

Sounds like she's an ex for a reason.  

You made the right call by seeking the woman in charge for what she wanted.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sounds like she's an ex for a reason.  

You made the right call by seeking the woman in charge for what she wanted.  

Lol...just talked to my oldest...I asked her if she had wanted me at her baby shower 11 years ago...

"I love ya, Dad, but God no." 

• Haha 3

On 8/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, NotIThatLives said:

My wife had some serious complications on the first one.  Our Dr played us masterfully so we didn't freak out and we just focused on the delivery.  It wasn't til the next day when the Dr and nurses were calling my wife the little miracle momma did we start to comprehend what the hell happened.  By far the most intense, scary, and relieved I have been.  When the baby came out and he had all his toes, fingers, and ears I knew we would be alright.  

My wife had helps syndrome.  Its like a 1 in 1000 and 1 in 4 die, iirc.  Thank God I didn't google it when they told us about it.  They just said no c section or epidural and you gotta get this baby out.  They cranked up the potosin? and my wife was having long and hard contractions for about 4 hours on no rest in between.  

My wife had Help Syndrome with my oldest.  I got up to go to work one morning in her 34th week.  She was acting strange and I told her I better stay home.  She demanded I go to work, but it just did not feel right.  Mid-morning I took her to her doctor and, similar to your experience, it was 'we have to get that baby out now'. 

Could have been fatal to both if I had gone to work.  34 weeks and only 3 pounds, 6 ounces at birth.  But, he was a darn healthy kid from day one.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

My wife had Help Syndrome with my oldest.  I got up to go to work one morning in her 34th week.  She was acting strange and I told her I better stay home.  She demanded I go to work, but it just did not feel right.  Mid-morning I took her to her doctor and, similar to your experience, it was 'we have to get that baby out now'. 

Could have been fatal to both if I had gone to work.  34 weeks and only 3 pounds, 6 ounces at birth.  But, he was a darn healthy kid from day one.  

Wow man.  Thanks for sharing.  My wife said she felt like she was going to die if she didn't have the baby that day.  Turns out she was.

Our guy came 2 weeks early at 5 lbs 13 oz.  Healthy and strong.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wow man.  Thanks for sharing.  My wife said she felt like she was going to die if she didn't have the baby that day.  Turns out she was.

Our guy came 2 weeks early at 5 lbs 13 oz.  Healthy and strong.  

Congrats on your new baby. Happy that both are doing well. Scary stuff for sure. Sorry the 2 of you had to endure that and prayers for all of you. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Congrats on your new baby. Happy that both are doing well. Scary stuff for sure. Sorry the 2 of you had to endure that and prayers for all of you. 

For clarification, that was during first pregnancy.  She's 29 weeks right now with boy #2.  We do ask for prayers for a healthy 3rd trimester, delivery, and baby.  Thanks to all.

So far so good.  She gets lab work every other week now.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

For clarification, that was during first pregnancy.  She's 29 weeks right now with boy #2.  We do ask for prayers for a healthy 3rd trimester, delivery, and baby.  Thanks to all.

So far so good.  She gets lab work every other week now.  

I did not think she was that late in her pregnancy.  Thanks that's what happens when you get in late on the conversation and don't go back to read it all. Continued prayers and well wishes your way!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone my wife’s aunt passed away unexpectedly a couple of days ago and we have to come to the Dayton area for the funeral. We are going to have to stay 3 nights and it’s an unexpected cost especially since we just had to spend over $4500 for IVF procedures. Does anyone have any connections to any hotels in this area that’s better than any rate I can get or access to a house that I can rent for 7 people? I know it’s a long shot but the worst anyone can say is no sorry. Thanks for the read. 

20 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Hey everyone my wife’s aunt passed away unexpectedly a couple of days ago and we have to come to the Dayton area for the funeral. We are going to have to stay 3 nights and it’s an unexpected cost especially since we just had to spend over $4500 for IVF procedures. Does anyone have any connections to any hotels in this area that’s better than any rate I can get or access to a house that I can rent for 7 people? I know it’s a long shot but the worst anyone can say is no sorry. Thanks for the read. 

have you looked at Airbnb?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Sorry for the loss and I understand both the cost of IVF and unexpected travel costs. We always use hotels.com and have found some really good deals. 

22 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Sorry for your loss. I always use expedia.com...saw a few hotel rooms under $70 per night in the Dayton area...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my youngest rode in a horse show this morning...here's a pic from that...

PXL_20211016_134523782_exported_79514.jpg.6e53074071513c046ba156ee5b100fef.jpg

That Hummer (they were sponsoring the event) was spooking the hell out of a lot of horses. We saw 3 girls get thrown, but thankfully, no one was hurt...

So after her 3rd (and last) ride of the day, she tells me and her mother it's her last show for a while...and that she's 7 weeks pregnant...

I'm glad she didn't tell us before her ride!

So, looking forward to grandchild #2...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5