'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, rico said:

Figured I would start a thread about the off season seeing as plenty of us are in it now.

Right now Cubs could trade 4-5 guys for .50 cents on the dollar. Give them 90 days of next year if they perform and we have  .75 cents on the dollar. I don't expect Theo to be coming back after next week....we'll see what happens after he and Ricketts meet. 

As of today here's what I want. All of them back and allow Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber to prove themselves in a contract year....or none back. I'll know more next week once Theo's employment is decided. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Right now Cubs could trade 4-5 guys for .50 cents on the dollar. Give them 90 days of next year if they perform and we have  .75 cents on the dollar. I don't expect Theo to be coming back after next week....we'll see what happens after he and Ricketts meet. 

As of today here's what I want. All of them back and allow Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber to prove themselves in a contract year....or none back. I'll know more next week once Theo's employment is decided. 

As an "outsider", I would do the same thing.  Out of curiosity, I wonder who is gonna be on the market after next season?

I would say management of teams probably won't be able to do to much this.off season.  With the revenues way down I would think the pocket books will be tightened this year.  Also they probably won't make rash decisions on this season unusual season.  They will hope that the players production this year is an anomaly and the players will get back to their normal production.

10 hours ago, rico said:

As an "outsider", I would do the same thing.  Out of curiosity, I wonder who is gonna be on the market after next season?

For us I have no clue anymore. I'm still ticked we had a cake walk to the NLCS on paper and our bats went dead. When I think about that I want all of them gone and go the Padres route or our 2013 route again.

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For us I have no clue anymore. I'm still ticked we had a cake walk to the NLCS on paper and our bats went dead. When I think about that I want all of them gone and go the Padres route or our 2013 route again.

I was talking other teams.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I was talking other teams.

Got it. Here's a list of free agents after next season. I'm interested to see what happens in NL Central the most. If the Cubs bail do Reds, Cardinals, Brewers jump at the chance to take control of league? Given all of our performances in playoffs it's easy to see that status quo isn't working. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-top-free-agents-2021-class

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Got it. Here's a list of free agents after next season. I'm interested to see what happens in NL Central the most. If the Cubs bail do Reds, Cardinals, Brewers jump at the chance to take control of league? Given all of our performances in playoffs it's easy to see that status quo isn't working. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-top-free-agents-2021-class

I'd rather the Cubs trade a little star power for some young power arms and restock the high minors through trades. 

Not like I'm not use to waiting on the Cubs to succeed...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd rather the Cubs trade a little star power for some young power arms and restock the high minors through trades. 

Yep. If the Marlins can get Sixto in a trade for Realmuto we should be able to move some parts have them contribute right away. First thing first with Theo meeting next week. He might just step out of the way and let Jed handle rebuild.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Been waiting on him....would be nice to add some serious, serious heat to our starting rotation.

I think we need to retool the 3, 4, and 5 slots in our rotation. It's pretty obvious Lester is all but done. And Quintana is close. 

Mills is interesting, but not the kind of power arm I like. We already have Hendricks as a finesse guy.

Out of the bullpen, keep Jeffress, and Kimbrel since he's signed through next year. I'm not sold on him as a closer, but he was throwing 98 the other day.

Other than that, all positions are open...

If I was going to keep any of the every day guys, I'd say keep Baez...make him a team leader and see how that pans out...

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lester's big contract is off the books now.  I expect they'll go after the best starter they can find.

They have Hendricks and Darvish pretty solid 1-2 punch. Quintana and/or Chatwood may be done.  They have Alzolay and Mills who are probably 5th starter quality at best.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, IUFLA said:

I think we need to retool the 3, 4, and 5 slots in our rotation. It's pretty obvious Lester is all but done. And Quintana is close. 

Mills is interesting, but not the kind of power arm I like. We already have Hendricks as a finesse guy.

Out of the bullpen, keep Jeffress, and Kimbrel since he's signed through next year. I'm not sold on him as a closer, but he was throwing 98 the other day.

Other than that, all positions are open...

If I was going to keep any of the every day guys, I'd say keep Baez...make him a team leader and see how that pans out...

I'd like to see Baez switch hit.  He just has too many bad habits right-handed.  He seems to concentrate more on contact batting lefty.

I think the Cubs need to figure out who they want to "build" around or whatever.  I don't buy into this rebuild stuff as all the position players, more or less, are in place.  I mean the only thing they need is some quality starters.

19 hours ago, rico said:

I think the Cubs need to figure out who they want to "build" around or whatever.  I don't buy into this rebuild stuff as all the position players, more or less, are in place.  I mean the only thing they need is some quality starters.

Pitching is not their main problem.  Remember it was their starting pitching that got them off to a great start which the rode to the division title.  Hitting is the problem.

Archived