'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, rico said:

I say let Bryant and Schwarber walk(sad to say) and keep Almora(he is arbitration eligible as well).

Bote will be fine to man 3B/LF

Schwarber's a real interesting one because for the production vs what we are paying him he's worth keeping. Problem is and it does matter....the Cubs don't want to let him go and end up being a DH in the same town and winning down there. Or even worse being a DH for Reds, Cardinals or anyone else in the division once DH takes over in NL.

15 hours ago, rico said:

What if it is a shortened season again?

Obviously things will and can change but Cubs have been notifying season ticket holders about opening at Wrigley with no fans again. Things there are a little tight in terms of how the local leaders view fans at games,etc....

Of course most leaders probably can only look at the next 30 days in this world. No need to be planning for something 6 months out.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

"Among the infielders the Nationals are considering this offseason is Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant, reports MLB.com's Jon Morosi. Bryant, 29, is coming off a poor 2020 season and there has been speculation Chicago could non-tender him next month rather than pay him a projected $19 million or so salary in 2021. Despite his name value, the prospect cost to acquire Bryant in a trade could be relatively small given his projected salary and rough season. If tendered, Bryant will become a free agent next offseason."

So it's my understanding that if the Cubs do non-tender KB, he immediately becomes a FA. Then the Nats could probably get him on the cheap.

If I'm the Cubs, I resign him to the 1 year deal, then see how both he and the team are doing at the trade deadline...

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Among the infielders the Nationals are considering this offseason is Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant, reports MLB.com's Jon Morosi. Bryant, 29, is coming off a poor 2020 season and there has been speculation Chicago could non-tender him next month rather than pay him a projected $19 million or so salary in 2021. Despite his name value, the prospect cost to acquire Bryant in a trade could be relatively small given his projected salary and rough season. If tendered, Bryant will become a free agent next offseason."

So it's my understanding that if the Cubs do non-tender KB, he immediately becomes a FA. Then the Nats could probably get him on the cheap.

If I'm the Cubs, I resign him to the 1 year deal, then see how both he and the team are doing at the trade deadline...

Conversely, maybe the gNats don't want him on the open market?

1 hour ago, rico said:

The guy is only making 10 mil per the next 2 seasons with a club option for 12 mil the 3rd year!?!?

No way...if they trade him, they're clueless. Unless they got a big haul with 4 of the top 10 prospects in a team's minor league system with at least 2 of those being at AA or higher, and pitchers.

There are other ways to pare payroll than offering up guys who're on bargain basement salaries as it is...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The guy is only making 10 mil per the next 2 seasons with a club option for 12 mil the 3rd year!?!?

No way...if they trade him, they're clueless. Unless they got a big haul with 4 of the top 10 prospects in a team's minor league system with at least 2 of those being at AA or higher, and pitchers.

There are other ways to pare payroll than offering up guys whore on bargain basement salaries as it is...

Kind of what I was thinking. Salary compared to return he's the guy you want to keep around not trade??

Shoot my Cubs offseason would be complete by trading for Gray and backing up the truck for Bauer. Those 2 with Yu, Hendricks we wouldn't need to score that many runs...

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There are other ways to pare payroll than offering up guys who're on bargain basement salaries as it is...

The Reds trade Sonny and I will puke.

Better not trade Gray but it looks like they need to cut payroll.  Votto's contract has killed the Reds and these small markets can't make a mistake by giving a huge contract for players over 30.  This probably is an indicator that there is no way that the reds will be in the bidding for Bauer.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Better not trade Gray but it looks like they need to cut payroll.  Votto's contract has killed the Reds and these small markets can't make a mistake by giving a huge contract for players over 30.  This probably is an indicator that there is no way that the reds will be in the bidding for Bauer.

Trade Votto and swallow some of his salary?

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I was surprised none of the Reds fans on here mentioned the talk about Sonny Gray being available for trade. Seems a like a selling move not win now move. 

I had not heard the rumor until reading this.  I will be beyond pissed if that happens.

Archived